ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

New N64 hardware glitch (works in GE, PD, most N64 games)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye 007
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trent
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:53 am    Post subject: New N64 hardware glitch (works in GE, PD, most N64 games) Reply with quote Back to top

Hi guys. Trent from the-elite.net here.

About a year and a half ago, I discovered a pretty neat glitch while fooling around in Goldeneye. I've searched the internet high and low to see if anyone else has encountered this, but came up empty handed, so I figured I'd post it here just to get the word out. I couldn't find any active N64 hardware forums (of course).

The glitch involves removing the external casing from a standard N64 controller and unscrewing the joystick housing so that it and the circuit board may be removed and flipped over. While playing most N64 games, if you press on the components in the right circle, the controller repeatedly triggers the actions for the A, B, C, R/L and start buttons all at once in a sporadic pattern. If, while holding your thumb on the right circle, you place your thumb on the components on the left circle, the game will freeze, but only while your left thumb is held down. When you remove it, the game will return to its normal state. See below.

www.i.imgur.com/I3XC55f.jpg

However, while the game is "frozen", certain actions are still continuing in the background. Below, I've copy/pasted what I posted on the-elite.net boards back in September 2012 with some interesting things that happen in various Goldeneye levels:

"I've found a way to freeze Goldeneye (and multiple other N64 games) ad hoc using standard, unmodified N64 equipment. It's led to several very interesting discoveries on certain levels. I initially wanted to use the glitch for a Silo DLTK completion, but it doesn't look like it will be of help. Some more investigation and testing led to its use to freeze the game during certain level fadeouts and let the final mission objectives progress as normal. Because the mission timer stops as soon as the fadeout begins, you can cut off significant amounts of time from certain levels (3-4 seconds on Facility, >25 seconds on Train SA/00). This doesn't work for levels where the final objective completion involves a character disappearing; while the game is frozen, characters with a pre-determined path (Natalya escaping from Control, hostages on Frigate) have their motion altered and are unable to escape. While the game is frozen, guards will not shoot you, but drone guns will register one shot no matter the amount of time frozen.

The freeze can be implemented on every level with varying outcomes.

Dam - If you freeze the game past the point where the onscreen mainframe timer reaches zero, the timer will tick upwards for a few seconds. This is the case with most onscreen timers.

Facility - The freeze can be used to achieve faster times as already explained. You are unable to freeze past an objective B completion; it completes no matter how long the game has been frozen. This is also true in retrieving the door decoder from Doak.

Runway - Technically the freeze can be used here during the fadeout if you're waiting for either the missile battery or drone guns to destroy, but it's not really worth it.

Surface 1 - Nothing of note.

Bunker 1 - You can use the freeze to mess with Boris' walking path. You are unable to get past him hacking the computers and completing the objective.

Silo - The freeze can be used to get the onscreen timer to tick upwards, as I've showed in several videos. Doesn't appear that this can be used for Silo DLTK. You can, however, live up to 14 minutes and beyond. It's odd; if the game is frozen for an amount of time past a threshold time (that seems to vary), the game's internal mission timer only registers one to one-and-a-half minutes.

Frigate - I was unable to get the hostages to escape during the freeze as mentioned earlier. This would have been incredibly useful and had this been the case, I guarantee this technique would have been welcomed with open arms. Interesting, right?

Surface 2 - Nothing of note.

Bunker 2 - You can glitch the onscreen timer after Natalya activates the Goldeneye satellite to glitch upwards. You can also let her try to escape by going the wrong way and then watch her burn in the flames.

Statue - Some really neat stuff here. I've been able to force Trev to walk behind Lenin's statue, shoot him, and have him talk facing me and the bodyguards backwards. You still can't progress past a certain line or else the objective will fail. That's how he got so close to me in the one Statue vid I posted. If you slap Trev, Natalya and the helicopter never spawn. And for some reason, when I was messing around with the freeze when the helicopter was about to blow up, it simply didn't. Not sure why, but I'd never seen that before. Again, you can glitch the onscreen timer to tick upwards here too.

Archives - You can freeze the game past the point where Mishkin gives you the safe key, in which case he just leaves you and you can never get the flight recorder.

Streets - Same thing applies to the onscreen timer, but you aren't able to glitch past Valentin's objective A completion. You also can't get past failing the objective where Ourumov escapes with Natalya.

Depot - Nothing.

Train - Some interesting stuff when you get to Nat and everyone. If you freeze the game past Trev's last message where Ourumov blasts Nat's face, Ourumov won't fire his gun, and everyone just stands there chilling indefintely. You can then do the locks at your own leisure and complete the level. I showed this in one video. For struggling Train players such as myself, you can also use the glitch avoid failing objective A while on a speedrun, as I did in my Train Agent 1:11 vid. Nothing fake or edited here! It's a shame that everyone focused on the vid being fake instead of its actual contents and how it possibly could be used.

Jungle - Nothing that I know of. Can maybe do some cool stuff with Xenia.

Control - I was playing Control Agent when the idea of freezing during the fadeout first came to me (since Natalya was taking forever to escape). I already mentioned that won't work on this level, unfortunately. You can, however, freeze out the entire Natalya protection part such that the alarm activates as soon as Natalya completes her hacking objective. You can also freeze past this part, and you won't get credit for Natalya's hacking, but she runs back to the elevator regardless.

Caverns - Nothing.

Cradle - I've gotten Trev to run in the reverse direction while freezing during the intro cutscenes, and eventually run behind me and get trapped. Not really useful for speedrunning, though.

Aztec - Here's something: the freeze may allow a no-BA run on 00 agent. As soon as you insert the protocol in the mainframe, you can freeze the game and unfreeze as soon as the final onscreen timer hits one second and the fadeout begins. The drone guns will register one hit on you, but only one. This lets you do the final room with less health than initially required.

Egypt - Nothing.

Some common traits across all levels - on screen actions for the most part totally stop if you freeze the game for more than two or so seconds."

Some videos that I've posted of this glitch are below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJyeOkzQ7eU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s64avXsYyF8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nb4T0h-3w4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GF91R_NRbwU

Hope you guys enjoy. Try this out on the games that you own; maybe some cool stuff will happen. Just wanted to put this out on the intranets elsewhere in case anyone has an explanation why this happens.

MRKane

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Ok...I'm stunned! I've actually spent a bit of time tinkering with N64 controllers (as I play games as a leftie and have always wanted to mirror the controls...which is also why the xbox is like my kryptonite) and I've never managed to do anything like this!

I'd bet that someone like Zoinkity will be able to pinpoint what's happening here, but this is a really intriguing find...good work!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye 007 All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: