ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Temple = Crypt?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kcghost
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:18 am    Post subject: Temple = Crypt? Reply with quote Back to top

The Temple Layout thread got me thinking on this. Taking in some facts:
1. The original name for egyptian was Crypt, or believed for egyptian.
2. Temple's weapons are all screwy, done in a hurry.
3. A couple parts of Temple are blocked off.
4. Those stones that block off those parts have a peculiar design, to which I think "Crypt" might be related.

It all makes sense! Smile Temple was almost definetly a single-player level at one time, either that or a larger Multi with objects at least.

But is there a way to prove it? How many preset positions are there in Temple? Are there any that go past the blocked off areas? Is there a way to determine what Temple once was?

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I'm not sure what areas you're referring to being blocked off. The only place I can think of is the large special weapon room with the ramp and ceiling gap. There's a section of wall that features a design, which could be considered a secret doorway of sorts that may have been used in an older version of the map. I don't believe anything lies beyond it, since no one has ever found any extra rooms inside the Temple. It was definitely tested as a mission at one time, but was probably replaced by the larger Egyptian stage later on in development. Rather than discard it all together, they decided to keep it in for multiplayer. The same would most likely ring true for the Complex and Aztec levels.

However, this is all just speculation. Both the Temple and Complex could have been designed late in the game for their multiplayer mode. One of the reasons for GoldenEye's delay was the addition of multi. Building a catalogue of multiplayer arenas, they created stages following the themes of certain missions. The Temple is like the Egyptian Temple, the Complex is an obvious comparison to the Aztec Complex, Caves is a modified location from the Jungle, while Library uses textures and secret wall doors featured in the Archives.

Even after knowing this, you'd have to ask why those two maps have active weather for one player. Well, they may have simply laid it out that way. They set it up for one, then made the necessary incriments for the other amounts. Why only these two? Perhaps it's because all of the other multiplayer stages use a default weather. Excluding Caverns and Cradle, which both have their own. Let's face it, the Cradle wouldn't make much sense if it were floating in a black void. Citadel Cathedral also falls into this catagory. Any multiplayer stage that features an outside area you can access, aside from Statue and Bunker ii, has a sky. It may not be a must, but it does add more to the level aesthetically.

The Temple contains "28" Basic Presets, equalling out to fourty. It also has six Advanced Presets used for doors. Not all of those Basic's are used, leaving many still intact. Many of those are positions recognizable from Perfect Dark's version of the stage. In my opinion, these are the correct locations that were to be used in GoldenEye. It could have been pressure or sheer laziness that caused the misplaced weapon sets, or something to do with a change to the multiplayer setup that was never fixed. When I release the Temple modifiers, you'll be able to see where all of the remaining presets are on an overhead map.

Maxout

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wreck wrote:

Excluding Caverns and Cradle, which both have their own. Let's face it, the Cradle wouldn't make much sense if it were floating in a black void.

I don't know if this helps but everything would be in a black void. If you break the window to the archives at any point you want to complete the mission, if you slowly position yourself you'll sorta fall inbetween the floors and see nothing but blackness and floating sky. Also if you run quickly run down the stairs quickly enough to the egyptian temple(the stairs down to the water before the golden gun) you can actually see outside the temple to the same blackness and floating clouds because the programmers didn't program and outside to fight in.

To your original question, the doors to the temple could seem like a bigger part of the level, especially the one above the armor where the ramp could go to a third level.

But ultimately it was whatever time they had to program and release in, that's why they left a third tower for viewing in the damn.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: