ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Does anyone know how to make a gameshark hold more memory

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye 007
View previous topic :: View next topic  
p3dawg
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:27 am    Post subject: Does anyone know how to make a gameshark hold more memory Reply with quote Back to top

Quick question forum. Does anyone know how to make the gameshark 3.3 hold more memory.

Jac6
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I don't think its possible.

lainlives
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Again that is possible but very very difficult it onley accepts 2,4,8,16. Much like how the psx accepts only 2 or 8 megs of ram, its all its bios supports.

lainlives
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Sorry im thinkin Kilobytes not megabytes

zoinkity

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

You could hack the GS rom. It is compressed though.

Are you talking about increasing the number of codes at one time or the physical ROM space used for codelists on all games? If it is the second you could, technically, replace the chip with a higher capacity one and hope that there aren't any size tests, which there undoubtedly will be. So, you'd probably still need to hack the ROM.

Either way, the list at runtime is very crummy. If I were to reprogram the bugger I'd expand on the parser used by the 'active codes' routine to allow a few more types, then just feed it a list like that. The processing speed difference is negligable, as evidiced by uploading a list of 300 codes to a slightly-hacked active code list.
First off though would be a different sort of change - altering the runtime GS code to use SD instead of SW when saving variables used by the primary cartridge. This causes a plethora of bugs.

lainlives
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

its is checked at boot and must comply with sizes 2,4,8,16 kilobytes
BUT changing the chip is still dangerous it must be the same formate (must work the same way as the old one) I have seen a GS with a hacked rom to remove the check but the gameshark was accually part of the console on this system (ill post pics later) but this proves it is possible to remove the check altogether. But if you expand the memory and have the full list going at once you MUST increase the N64 memory to 16mb in doing which all games using 4 megabytes (non expansion compliant) must either A. Be modified to run with the new amount. Or B. You need to make a converter that tricks the games into thinking that there is only 4mb.

zoinkity

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Uhm, no.

Firstly, checksum calculation only occurs on the first 2MB of memory and no, there isn't a way to get around that short of hacking the PIF, and that's just stupid.

Secondly, there are no rom size tests. You need a minimum of 2MB, and never attempt to read past the end of ROM.

Thirdly, you can't physically integrate the thing short of attaching it to the cart slot, which is exactly the same as plugging it in.

Fourthly, ROM is not ram. You don't need 16MB of memory. Heck, you could run the entire gameshark ROM in the upper 4MB. Only about 1MB of that space is used. Specificly, the lowest address ranges are the two video output buffers, starting at 8075A000. Everything prior to this address is fair game.

Fifthly, not all games even bother to do a ram size test. The test amounts to simple write/read memory functions, executed at bootup. All games handle this the same way. 4MB games only test if the value is less than or equal to 00400000. Expansion pack games usually only test for greater than 00400000.
You can fudge this test using this line on your GS:
F0000319 00xx
Replace xx with 40 to simulate 4MB only. 80 can be used to force 8MB on certain carts that notice the GS. However, you might want to try 78. Some 'expansion pak enhanced' games can be run with this to force 8MB features but still apply codes. Try it on Rush: 2049.
Even if you didn't know this trick, the GS has three built-in enablers specificly for fudging the expansion pak detection.

Lastly, the N64 technically can handle 16MB of ram. They certainly left the space in the memory mapping.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye 007 All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: