ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Ass polishing and some thoughts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department
View previous topic :: View next topic  
starbucket
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:25 pm    Post subject: Ass polishing and some thoughts Reply with quote Back to top

I am amazed by what you've done. Played Car Park and that Mario Kart map online (Mupen64k 0.79 now supports hacks) yesterday with a friend and it worked flawlessly. Not a frame drop to speak of! We played for a good two hours and I couldn't even believe it was a hack. One or two years ago I could hardly get Goldeneye to run at all, now it's even better than on the actual console and it has mouse and keyboard support! There's no doubt I'll continue to download your work and be a part of the Goldeneye Online community.

Now, I have some questions about the mapping part. I downloaded GeEdit but haven't started off yet really. Is it possible to add NEW material rather than replacing? Yes, it's a rom but still, you've come so far... I'm talking about adding new menu options, new models, new textures, new character models, new maps? It wouldn't obviously work on a cart but those sorts of things would really add some fuel to the online community. The only reason I'm asking is because of what I've seen, you are the masters of this medium so enlighten me if there is something I don't quite get about it (if it's impossible.)

ALSO I'd like to know how light and shadows are generated in GE, would it be able to place a light source in a custom map and have shadows showing up properly?

The ultimate thing to see who'd be All Bonds in character selection screen and 20 custom maps all bundled in an "official" hack from this site. That way the community would know what hack to play and you'd be able to update it in time. Only one hack... it's hard to keep track of all the patched roms and it's almost impossible to find someone with the same hack.

Anyway, I'd be satisfied with any kind of answer. Good luck and keep on pushing out those godly hacks!

moonraker808
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

hey starbucket, thanks for stopping by. I am sure subdrag will stop by and answer most of your questions. I beleive in .roms they can include more memory and extra material but not the memory that is transfered via game shark to play online.

As subdrag will suggest also download the helpfiles; and I am not sure when subdrag will release the .ojb swapping function. Right now that is still beta, but I have been assured it will be out soon.

There are also .pdf files that have all the tutorials you need to get started. So I reccomend you play around with the objects, create new guards and just mess around. Test out what happens when you add new guards ect. Leave the complicated stuff till you understand the program.

lastly I also wanted to start a community hack, but not too many people were intersted. If you want to right a story line for all the levels and then ask people to help create them then I will certainly help.

So welcome to the world of goldeneye hacking. I hope you are using a PC with windows.

zoinkity

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

As for lightig effects:
GE doesn't have lighting and shadow effects like you would imagine. Vertex color is used on surfaces, so the stage has a sort of hard-wired lighting aspect. Diffuse light is applied with the clipping tiles but only applies to objects that are located on the given tile. Well, I guess that doesn't make it diffuse light then, but emissive is a misnomer...

Inserting stuff:
Well...
Images are no problem. The latest hacks allow somewhere in the area of 1000 new images without replacing existing ones.

We can *technically* add new objects without too much fuss. The trouble lies in the import tools, and the 21990 needs manual modification if you don't intend to replace existing stuff. So far, a few PD weapons and the suits for the other three Bonds were inserted, and those patches are lying around somewhere. The suits don't replace existing stuff.

Then we get to stages. Unfortunately, although porting stages from PD is rather easy, new ones are less so. No new stages have ever worked on hardware, and we have absolutely no clue why. Also, the entire stage loading mechanism hasn't been extracted yet, so we can't place new stages in without replacing existing ones. There's something peculiar tied to stage ID numbers. Cuba is a specific case, Cradle has global visiblility, Citadel's original ID is busted but the stage works fine under a new ID number, and then there's this crazy allocation garbage.

So much left to do. Well, have fun playing with the tools as they are now. Oh, and the best possible way to play GE in on console! For those few things a GS can't manage, you can always get yourself a V64...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: