ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Remember before the Visual Editor?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:11 pm    Post subject: Remember before the Visual Editor? Reply with quote Back to top

Such a distance memory...I can't believe I made levels like Runway Takedown just by trial and error. It's very do-able sure, but the things we've done since the visual editor. Runway Takedown could be made in a fraction of the time. Path Land is a joke (paths barely even worked back in the day), making path sets would be near impossible (instead of a couple hours), etc. Cheers. Complex Mission would take forever. BMW's library mission would be 3 years instead of 6 months, and not as good.

Still, we made the best. The old tool was powerful for such a hardcore tool. Rotation, etc, grabbing presets from PJ64.

Still, the days before the visual editor (it's only been out for maybe 6 months -> year?) seem like a generation before. Or what about before GE Editor 1.0...Wreck was trying to do his Caves mission (which still isn't out...), but wow, we were doing full levels in hex editors (and mildly successful). Just slow process and you have to do a ton of offsets yourself. I remember back in GS days wanting to modify objectives badly.

I barely know what a GameShark code is anymore.

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Remember before the Visual Editor? Reply with quote Back to top

SubDrag wrote:
BMW's library mission would be 3 years instead of 6 months, and not as good.

I could probably have done it in about a year, and I beg to differ on your second claim that it would not be as good. Don't forget that the library contains a lot of manually sized and placed objects, including my safe! Most of the fake walls were done manually, as were the bookcases. Oh yeah, the entire desk combos were done manually as well. Not many people realize just how much of the library mission was done manually. Heck, some of the original walls were done pre-editor manual, as in, I tweaked objects in the original mp stack map then wrote all the data to the editor. Even a few of the camera positions were done completely manually.

Lets not forget too how useful the library mission was for debugging the editor.

All that being said, the VE has made me lazy, I could never go back to doing things the old way. Except I would like to someday still finish my original gameshark MP map project because that's still the most practical way to play mp maps on the actual console. Oh yeah, guards, paths, and sets would have taken some time to do manually, major props for making that so easy in the VE.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The good old non-visual editor. It was still a great piece of work, and got the ball rolling for what we now have. Being able to modify existing setups, as well as grab presets from PJ64 was wicked. I've got to give it to you. This thing has certainly evolved into an amazing tool.

SubDrag wrote:
Wreck was trying to do his Caves mission (which still isn't out...)

I'm glad you brought that up, actually. Just a few nights back, I grabbed Tomorrow Never Dies and A View To A Kill on DVD. In fact, I watched the latter yesterday. It stills confuses me as to where exactly the Mainstrike Mine is supposed to be located. They did detonate explosives directly under the San Andreas Lake, which is in the San Francisco Peninsula. There are so many other cities and counties within the peninsula, it gets confusing. I'm tempted just to say that it's in San Francisco, California. Hell, I shouldn't be so concerned about where it resides, considering that they weren't even filming in the USA.

Anyways, since the GoldenEditor can properly display the Caves in the Visual Editor now, I'm gonna get back to work on it, soon. It's long overdue.

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I started my Silo mission with 1.0, I did the security room and started on the first fuel room but put it aside until 2.0 came out. It actually wasn't too bad having to grab presets from PJ64, the only thing I had a hard time with was moving things around once they were placed. That said, the level never would've gotten as detailed without the visual editor, I certainly wouldn't have been able to make things like that little room I posted in the concepts thread without it. That room took me about an hour to get everything sized and lined up correctly so that the door could open and still have everything look seamless.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: