ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

How impossible would it be...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye 007
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Luther
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:49 pm    Post subject: How impossible would it be... Reply with quote Back to top

To simply write Goldneye 007 as a stand-alone PC program? I mean, that'd do away with a lot of the emulation problems, and drastically simplify online multiplayer. Plus, it'd be a lot easier to add new features and such. You could use a Doom-esque level system, where each individual level is a different file. Come to think of it, if you were to do it like that, you could implement most of Perfect Dark's features as well.

But, this is just a thought, I don't have the knowledge, experience, or patience to undertake anything like this.

Ryani
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yes, but you'd still need to have installed pj64 or w/e to play it.

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: How impossible would it be... Reply with quote Back to top

Luther wrote:
To simply write Goldneye 007 as a stand-alone PC program?

It wouldn't be impossible but it would be very hard. You would have to duplicate all the game logic and make it fully compatible with Goldeneye's files. Getting a simple engine going where you could walk through the game's levels probably wouldn't be too hard for an experienced programmer but duplicating everything else would. You would need to reverse engineer Goldeneye's engine to duplicate what it's doing perfectly, otherwise you'd end up with a game that used Goldeneye's assets but played nothing like it.

Luther wrote:
I mean, that'd do away with a lot of the emulation problems, and drastically simplify online multiplayer. Plus, it'd be a lot easier to add new features and such. You could use a Doom-esque level system, where each individual level is a different file. Come to think of it, if you were to do it like that, you could implement most of Perfect Dark's features as well.

It's been done before for far simpler games (The only thing that comes to mind right now is Zelda Classic, a remake of the original NES Legend of Zelda with additional features from later games in the series and built-in modification support) but I just don't see something like this being feasible for a game as complex as Goldeneye. It would be easier to port Goldeneye's assets to a PC FPS that supports modding (As has been done with Goldeneye Source) but again you wouldn't have Goldeneye's gameplay and that would just suck, the gameplay is the best part of Goldeneye.

Luther wrote:
But, this is just a thought, I don't have the knowledge, experience, or patience to undertake anything like this.

Personally I think an affordable flash cartridge and/or a highly accurate N64 emulator is the better way to go. It seems no one is interested in developing an N64 flash cart so the emulator will be more likely, the only problem with that is that a truly accurate N64 emulator would probably be too slow for most people here, you'd need a high end computer to run it. Another solution might be an emulator geared specifically to running Goldeneye, ignore compatibility with other games to get one running flawlessly, I wouldn't condone that for other systems but it might be worth it to get perfect Goldeneye emulation.

moonraker808
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I have thought of this too, If someone could tailor PJ64's internal emulation core to only goldeneye; there would be no need for exceptions etc. I believe someone could probably write something like that, the only problem is there are few who would even bother much less have the programming skills required.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye 007 All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: