ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

What if Rare didn't make GoldenEye?...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye 007
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kode-Z
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:27 pm    Post subject: What if Rare didn't make GoldenEye?... Reply with quote Back to top

I know it's a scary thought, but what if Rare didn't make GoldenEye?

Let's face it; if GE wasn't made, then would we have been graced with Perfect Dark? Also, would multiplayer be as up-to-scratch as it is now? I mean, in my humble opinion, Rare hit the nail on the head in all aspects of how a game should be. If the licence had been sold to, and I shudder as I say it, EA Games, would the same effort have gone into it?

We'll obviously never know for sure, but when a game like GE comes along that redefines everything in it's genre, it kinda makes you realise how important a game it was - and indeed still is.

Now, if you don't mind, I'm going to sit back, relax and spend a good few hours playing GoldenEye! Very Happy

GERage
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The gaming world w/o GE=total anarchy!

Think about it.....w/o GE, other FPSs wouldn't be so successful, not just PD (so maybe PD wouldn't exist....). Maybe Halo's multiplayer wouldn't be as good as it is since it's derived from GE's multi.

Even today, developers still incorporate some of GE's elements into their new games (like real objectives, etc.). So GE=immortality!

GE is also 1 of the reasons why I can't give up my N64. Wink

Kode-Z
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

GERage wrote:
GE is also 1 of the reasons why I can't give up my N64.

Here Here! With you 110%!

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Don't want to imagine.

DK25
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Crying or Very sad Games would suck without Goldeneye! Evil or Very Mad

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Sort of sounds like a plotline for an episode of The Twilight Zone or The Outer Limits. Perhaps we'd all be raving over how awesome a game like The World Is Not Enough by EA is... Confused

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

zoinkity

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Quite simply, I would have never started hacking. I only learned specificly to do three things with GE:

1) get Connery
2) make all stages multiplayer
3) double weapons MP

The last is a smidgeon away.

EA probably wouldn't have even gotten the license if UA didn't realize there was an actual market for a Bond-based video game that wasn't just a marketting extension of a current movie. Instead, Podunk Entertainment would have knocked out another lame platformer or something. Heck, now they've started making them without a movie as a backdrop. It extended the Bond license in a way nobody anticipated.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Sorry to go off topic for a sec, but you're close to getting double weapons in multiplayer to work? I remember you doing a hack before that was supposed to allow for doubles, but it didn't seem to work for NTSC. Did the PAL or JAP versions ever get one?

And I'd have to agree with your statement about never getting into hacking. GoldenEye was pretty much my only reason for even attempting to hack. Without it, I doubt there'd really be anything else that could interest me enough to try.

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

fantsu

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

But now we got GE... what is we missed something better???

Question

zoinkity

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

How close? Well, the thing that kills it is the routine that 'mirrors' the left hand 1st person model. If the left-hand weapon doesn't use a model, or you deactivate the 1st person display, doubles *DO* work!

I've *almost* got a flag+weapon double working in normal flag tag mode. It has a problem though that I can't get resolved. It exploits the 'mixed doubles' glitch, so it annoyingly will continually put both weapons away and redraw them until you open fire for a second or so. Then it works beautifully. I'll send you a nemu movie-state thingy.

To get doubles to work naturally though involves one annoying thing - the one thing Nemu doesn't naturally support. The routine doesn't load because TLB routines are indexed in 0x1000 chunks, but when writting the multiplayer initilization they forgot an entry, meaning anything that falls within that 0x1000 of ROM will crash mutliplayer if called. It's a matter of tracing the TLB loads (nemu doesn't let you view them, but does let you break on the op, meaning you have to read them manually), and either setting the one just before to a 0x2000 chunk or adding the lost space to the index. After that, voila! Doubles won't crash anymore.

Then, it's a matter of hacking the mp weapon select table. This is already a work in progress though. You wouldn't believe how easy it is to make BA from a normal weapon pickup...

Maxout

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I'd still be playing Final Fantasy or the next best game/shooter. I won't get into hacking. Nowadays, if I really wanted to, I would create a game that sizzles.

It's ten years after the fact and I need more motivation.

http://www.youtube.com/Greatermaxim

The Extremist

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

zoinkity wrote:
How close? Well, the thing that kills it... blah blah blah... ect...

Is it really that hard to get double weapons in MP????

Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad

zoinkity

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The Extremist wrote:
Is it really that hard to get double weapons in MP????

You try tracing the TLB writes sometime ;*)
I've figured out how to read the target address (the 7xxxxxxx) and can mess with entry size but can't figure out how they set the address each corresponds to. The crazy part is I already know what those addresses are - all of them. It's the most annoying blasted thing.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye 007 All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: