ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Anyone used Transfer Pak + PD GBC + PD N64?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Carrington's Hacker Central
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 8:41 am    Post subject: Anyone used Transfer Pak + PD GBC + PD N64? Reply with quote Back to top

It's an often overlooked feature by myself, and everyone, that PD actually can hook up with the GBC color version and unlock some cheats or something. Has anyone actually done it? If someone has the stuff, can they see if it works in lo res mode? It might be interesting to try and find the code that does all this.

zoinkity

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Should work lo-res. I've seen it, a long while back. Odd story really. I was pickup up a couple transfer paks for Pokemon Stadium (stop laughing! It's actually a very cleverly devised game with a GB emulator built in. Wonderful coding.) Anyway, the cashier didn't know what it was for, so the 'manager' for lack of a better term grabbed a copy of PD on gameboy, PD, and showed him how some games can do funny things with it. He then went on about the deleted perfectface, which is how I had first heard of it.

If you need to find it, check the PIF access routines. It will look like a normal controller pak test but will expect a different value. The transfer pak maps out a 1MB bubble for the GB game in the pak.

If you want to test this on emulator I think you can replace the normal eeprom save file with the game's rom or some such nonsense. It works with newer emulators but probably not Nemu.

-and yes, it's really interesting. It might be more interesting to test out what it does with the game headers or if the camera in place. I don't think anyone has ever really bothered to figure out how a transfer pak works.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Hmm, I'd really like Nemu to use it, but maybe the new PJ64 has enough breakpointing. So how would you get PD for n64 exactly going with the transfer pak?

zoinkity

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The easiest way to use the transfer pak with emulators is to use the N_Rage plugin. Versions 1.82a and up all have it as a feature. Set the path and directories for the PD gameboy image and save under the 'controller pak' options for player 1's controller.
In the case of PD, it seemingly only reads the save file from the GB game. Probably just reads if the condition was set on GB and automatically flips the flag to unlock the cheat in the player's menu.

PJ64 has no breakpointing I know of. There may be a way to force it to work with Nemu... I'm guessing you might be able to get away with renaming Nemu's input plugin and copying in the ini for a working N_Rage assuming they followed Azimer's specs. That isn't bloody likely though.
Worst case you can turn all the auto-error correction off and make an infinite loop out of anything writting to the cheat toggle location for the cheats that can be unlocked by GB. From the last RA in the registers you'll at least know what sent the write and backtrace it in Nemu from there. Aegh... Seems annoying.

I think there may have been one japanese game that made it to release and used the GB camera through the transfer pak. They used it more often over there than here, but then they're really into all the wonky peripherals. There was the train controller, the tetris heart rate indicator, the one cart with built-in modem, etc.

InsomniaDMX
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The new PJ64 says it has a breakpoint feature, but it seems broken. I've used the one in Geiger's debugging version of SNES9x and in ollydbg, so I think I'm doing it right, but there's no way to tell for sure.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Oh there's no little menu that tells you what unlocked?

00Dark

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

All the Transfer Pak does is unlock four cheats:

Cloaking Device
Hurricane Fists
All Guns in Solo
R Tracker/Weapon Cache Locations

Sadly it does not let you play the GameBoy game on your N64 like it does on Pokemon Stadium. All it does is unlock those four cheats, which is easy to do anyway. I don't think it works in low resolution because you can't use cheats in that mode, or can you? I never really play in low resolution enough to really pay attention it's features.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Under normal means, the cheat options menu can not be selected in Lo-Res mode. However, Quantum Rift (I believe) hacked a code that could allow you to access the Perfect Menu. Afterwards, I then found a way to get into the various different submenus, including the cheats. You could probably find those code at GSCentral.org, if you search around. When I have the time, I'll remember to post them here.

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

fantsu

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

So.... what the transfer pack does to the Game Boy game???

00Dark

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Nothing. You can't play the Perfect Dark Game Boy game on N64 which is very disappointing. You can in Pokemon Stadium, which is pretty cool, but I hate Pokemon so I really don't care. Cool

zoinkity

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

All it does is verify the GBC game is PD, then opens the cheats. What Sub was looking for was a menu, or popup, or something, which there isn't one. If the game *isn't* PD or it can't read the cart you get a red error message when entering the cheat menu.

Now, to figure out how to read a picture off the camera... I'd love to be able to recreate perfect head. It seems they used some of the 3-part models. There's four hair pieces, four neck+face, and the image mapped to the front of it. From there you stretch it to fit it to existing pins and sortta colorize it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Carrington's Hacker Central All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: