ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

CONCEPT - Frigate imported into Dam
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kode-Z
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

How was the actual Frigate imported?

Was it as a .obj file?

It looks amazing!

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Not exactly. It was a kind of complicated proces. I'll try to explain it...

1) Open Dam
2) Delete all unnecessary rooms
2) Export Room positions to text file
3) Close Dam
4) Open Frigate
5) Delete all unnecessary rooms
6) Export Room positions to text file.
7) Copy data from Dam room positions text file, paste it to end of Frigate Room positions text file and save.
Cool Export BG file using Frigate room positions text file.

At that point, the dam will be merged with the frigate and the frigate is actually relatively close to where it needs to be. Then you can just highlight every room and move it.

Finally, to make the whole thing visible, you need to delete all portal data (at least temporarily until you can create your new portals)

Also at that point, none of your clipping data will be valid. For the purpose of my screenshot, I just auto-clipped a few of the dam rooms. Then you write to rom the setup file for frigate as well as its bg and clipping file.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

If the rooms really are that close, you can export portals to text file, and edit the room #s for the second level by offsetting the room numbers and portals. I actually did that automatically once for G5 and Chicago (when trying to merge, but it exceeded GE's allocated space). If each room has a constant offset it's pretty do-able.

zoinkity

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The theoretical limit to the number of rooms is 0x95. It may be lower in fact, but based on the amount of unused space in the room list allocation area that's the most probable limit on the number of possible rooms in one stage.
That's not as many rooms as you'd think. This is just over half the actual fixed limit of stages in the game. Without a major revision of all the code in the game, the fixed limit of stages in GE is 255. Scary enough, there's more than one PD stage that's well over that number!

This bank could probably be moved with some serious hacking, but the question is to where. In an NTSC rom, we might be able to get away with blanking out something else. Not sure how much room was made when revising the image bank... Also, the data within the bank could possibly be condensed, but not my much. Most of it is made of pointers and floats, so those sizes are fixed.
Other things could be moved around to make the space needed. That would require a whole heap more of work.
There always is the possibility of placing the index after 80400000. There are two problems with that though. One is that we'd have to toss 8040-80800000 into the TLB as a permanent entry. Who knows what problems that may cause. Secondly, backup device users would be required to use the 8MB pak, and thirdly, all the emulator RDBs would need revision to accept GE as an 8MB, not 4MB game.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: