ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Theories about the Dam Island...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye 007
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kode-Z
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:19 pm    Post subject: Theories about the Dam Island... Reply with quote Back to top

We all know it's there - but what was it's purpose? We can't say for sure but we could probably work it out if we think like Rare.

In my humble opinion, I reckon Bond would have entered the boat, the boat would ride to the island automatically, giving you enough time to destroy the gun turret possibly using a rocket launcher which, if I was Rare, would have put on one of the guard towers. Also, I'm sure there is a preset for an alarm there too, so that would have been part of the Destroy All Alarms objective.

Very complicated for a first level, and if I am right, no wonder Rare scrapped it. What do you think?

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Probably Rare wanted to do a boat and had no idea how to actually accomplish it, or exactly what to do! Exceeded their bounds.

zoinkity

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Hah! They probably just thought "this is sort of bland" and built a little island out in nowhere. Maybe toss a guard on it for fun. *cough* PD *cough*

Then, you know how it goes:
"Let's put stuff on it!"
"Yeah! Here's some glass, and alarm, another guard..."
"Hey, lets let players go out there"
"Yeah, that'll be cool. Let's make a boat"
"Aegh! fine... (type)(type)(stress)(type) ...done!"
"Hmm... It's taking forever."
"Freaking lebel sniper! Stop shooting the boat!"
"grr... this is stupid. Whole thing is stupid. Delete!"

Bet you anything it was just a silly little background detail gone horribly awry.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Seems as though we all share many of the same opinions. As Zoinkity said, they most likely built the Island to add some spice to the otherwise very boring location. A watch tower, equipped with a heavy gun emplacement to take out enemy threats, both sea and air. One thing led to another, and they plopped in pads for guards, their paths, and even an additional alarm which you'd need to neutralize. Why not take a boat out from the docks? It'd likely travel on its own towards the tower, stop next to it, and let you out. All the while, the drone gun firing wildly at you. But, as we've seen, there's a screenshot or two of the beta rocket launcher being used in the Dam. Perhaps you'd need to use that in order to destroy their heavy artillery? But all this work for an area so out of the way, for objectives unrelated to the film, just wasn't worth it. Especially considering both the length and difficulty for an introductory mission.

Atleast they left in some eye-candy for us to stare at, wondering... ten years later.

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

DELETED

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

DELETED

zoinkity

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

There's no known footage of the island at all. Concidering a similar little outcropping found its way into PD, it isn't beyond reason they thought it looked cool. Half of GE was probably added just because it sounded cool at one time or another. Notice all the 'cool stuff' they had to delete to get the game running at a decent rate before release?

steelman16
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Theoritically the Island was a optional objective that Bond had to obtain a rocket launcher underground and then hop on to the boat and sail out to the island to obtain the Bungie cord to hop off the dam.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

That part never made sense to me. Why would Bond have to obtain either the bungee cord or the piton gun? Q would've no doubt equipped him with both before the mission. I believe you'd have had them in your inventory from the start. Especially considering you had all of your other important mission based gadgets already in other stages. Camera, Datathief, Plastique, Covert Modem, etc.

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wreck wrote:
That part never made sense to me. Why would Bond have to obtain either the bungee cord or the piton gun? Q would've no doubt equipped him with both before the mission. I believe you'd have had them in your inventory from the start. Especially considering you had all of your other important mission based gadgets already in other stages. Camera, Datathief, Plastique, Covert Modem, etc.

Agreed. Don't forget the MundoRare interview:

Quote:
I think the original plan was to have a building over there to go and investigate, with armour as a reward.

So we know there was an alarm, body armor, and at least one guard over there. The fake drone gun probably would've been replaced with a real one that would have to be destroyed on the trip over at some point. That's a long, pointless trip to complete an objective, I can just imagine how much people would've complained about going over there if it made it in... Of course, since it didn't make it in we're fascinated by the place and make theories about what was over there and why it didn't make it in. Razz

What I find interesting is the guard tower over there, it's entirely different from the one repeated throughout the beginning of the level and the ones on the dam itself. I doubt they'd make a unique tower just for the island, makes me wonder if all the towers were that style at one point.

DELETED

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

DELETED

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I didn't ask about the Dam island because Mundo Rare already did.

DELETED

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

DELETED

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye 007 All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: