ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Courtyard map project (hammer)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:26 am    Post subject: Courtyard map project (hammer) Reply with quote Back to top

Textures are still subject to change, but I now have enough done to give you a good idea of what the final map will look like. There will be a total of 24 rooms within the building as well as roof access. So far I only have 2 rooms finished within the building.

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Looks good so far.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Looks great

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

It's definitely coming along nicely. Smile
That white wall texture is somewhat blinding. I am sitting here in the dark, though. Still, it seems like it may be somewhat overpowering? It's hard to say. As you said, textures are subject to change. Right now, I'm just hoping that's the one that changes. Laughing

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, I don't much care for that texture either - for now they're just all place fillers, something I'll probably wait until the structure is complete to change. I do rather like the bricks though, those are likely staying. Will also for sure use some sort of grassy texture outside.

To keep room placement simple I've been sizing my rooms to fit perfectly within hammer's grid so I can very easily reuse rooms (or parts of them) and just move them to the next square.

Progress so far (emulator screenshot)

I will vary things up somewhat so that its not quite so repetitive, might reduce the building to 1 story on the shorter sides, will probably also add somewhere a stairway from the outside to the roof (as well as roof enterances from the upper floor).

mcbrainlegend
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Cool!

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Ignore the objects placed in the level, just playing around with them.

Also, I've decided to limit rooftop access to what you see (plus the other side of the courtyard as well). I'm not going to allow players onto the very top of the building because I'm afraid it might knock down framerates and also possibly lead to blackout issues with too many rooms. In the end this will be a medium sized multiplayer map, hopefully with excellent framerates.

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

It'll be really fun to shoot at players through those windows from the roof. I like how you carpeted the stairs too, that's a nice detail.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Now those interior textures are looking much better! Very Happy
It's been totally revamped, by the looks of things. Keep us posted.

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Strangely enough, adding doors to this stage actually bogs down performance quite a bit - apparently the rendering of the doors requires more resources than what is gained by closing off some portals. So as it stands now, I won't be putting in any doors.

Framerates are stll pretty good with what I have in place so far, but I'm afraid to add too many more rooms. On the other side of the building, I might restrict it to just several larger rooms with only 2 windows or so.

Anyways, I hope to have this thing done and released as an MP map within the next 2 weeks or so.

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Very near structural completion - just a few minor bugs to work out, and all will be good.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Very cool, even a fountain. And you're doing it in rooms right? You'll have to write a tutorial (or with dragonsbrethren on how to do it all efficiently).

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, when all was said and done I ended up with 13 rooms.

Though my method is slightly different than how dragonsbrethren did his - he created the whole level in hammer then went from there. I created one room at a time, compiled and exported, jotting down all the important coordinates where portals meet w/adjacent rooms.

I also used his method for pointing to the pre-existing rom images (adding presets to the textures file).

QUESTION - is there any easy way to change the sound effects associated with bullets hitting certain textures? I couldn't find anything in the 21990 for doing this.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Make sure you do this last (image editor is known to corrupt roms if you use it twice, not sure why, thought I fixed it), but if you right click on an image in Image Tools you can change its effect.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The fountain really does add a lot of character to the outside area.
I even spot a bunch of doors inside the building, as well as on the outer walkway. I'm really looking forward to checking this out when it's all said and done. Have you any plans on a mission? That'd be a nice extra.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: