ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Question re: Textures and Memory Allocation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GERage
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:38 pm    Post subject: Question re: Textures and Memory Allocation Reply with quote Back to top

Do different objects use up different amounts of texture memory (-mt)? If they do, which objects use the most -mt and which don't?

I'm asking b/c I've gotten to the point in my Silo mission where I've reached my -mt limit and I'm choosing props to delete.

Kode-Z
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I had the same problem for my Bunker mission. I just inject my saved setup into the GE ROM in the appropriate place. There is probably an easier way, though.

DELETED

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Question re: Textures and Memory Allocation Reply with quote Back to top

DELETED

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The amount of memory dedicated to handling textures is determined in the 21990 Main Index file. It is listed as "-mt", and can be modified by the Editor. If you're having issues with your textures, you can attempt to increase this value. Just be cautious, as the total amount of memory between all of the entries should probably not exceed 1100. You can give it a try, but it is likely to crash.

The amount of objects you have in a stage will effect your framerate. Pile too many into a small area, and it'll suffer greatly. The variety of objects is what takes a hit out of your textures. Each texture only needs to be loaded once, which is why it's okay to have a bunch of the same model. For every different model you decide to bring in, those textures also need to be loaded. Unless, of course, they use the same images. Why do you think Rare limited how many different boxes are in a map? To keep the textures down, pure and simple.

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

GERage
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I was just thinking...wouldn't a tank (with a lot of complex textures) consume more texture memory than a box?

DELETED

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

DELETED

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Absolutely.
The easiest way to find out, is to use the Image Tools in the GoldenEditor. When you enter the menu, there's a drop list on the top lefthand corner. It is labelled, "Filter To Only Model:". Scroll through it until you find the object you're looking for. After you've chosen it, click on the "Filter" button. Compare any box to the tank, and you'll see a huge difference. Most of the vehicles are texture hungry, so it's wise to limit how many of those go into you maps.

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

GERage
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks!

But I have another question....

What if you were to use 2 different object models that had the same textures (like the white bin and white bins x4)? Would it add to your texture count?

zoinkity

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Depends if it loads it into a different texture mode. This isn't likely though. In that case, there *should* be only one instance of each texture in memory.

The exception to this rule are textures which are loaded for held weapons. This is beyond the scope of the main image directory, but then that is alloacted completely seperately.

It should be noted that each different block of allocation values uses a different multiplier. That was in the original documents, or should have been, or I hope so since I'm not sure where that particular floopy has gone to...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: