ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Help Converting codes; Code conversion guide inside

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MA2008
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:01 pm    Post subject: Help Converting codes; Code conversion guide inside Reply with quote Back to top

Hey I live in Australia and must play the PAL version of goldeneye. I was just wondering how you would go about converting NTSC gameshark codes to PAL.

Kode-Z
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

This should help you - from the old Action Replay Headquarters site!

------------------------------------------------------------------
FoxDie's Porting Guide v1.0 08/01/00

by FoxDie a.k.a Ryan Barlow

---------------
Sections

1. What is Porting
2. What methods are there to port?
i) Version-Difference Porting
ii) Comparison Hacking
iii) Value-Assisted hacking
iv) Address-Difference Porting
3. Will this apply to all codes in a game?
4. Do all games need to be ported?
5. Game conversion formulae
6. Glossary
7. Acknowledgements
8. Greetings

---------------
What is Porting?

Porting is a process used to convert Action Replay/Equalizer (and Gameshark) codes from one
version to another. It can be used to convert codes from version 1.0 to 1.1, or PAL to
NTSC, or even sometimes from P1 to P2.

---------------
What methods are there to port?

There are about 4 different ways of porting codes. Different methods are used for porting
different codes and sometimes different methods are mixed to port codes. 500 codes don't need
porting.

One method is working out the difference in Hexadecimal between two codes that already exist
in both versions. This is known as 'Version-Difference Porting'

For Example, In the PAL and NTSC versions of GoldenEye 007 the Change Truck code is as
follows:

PAL
801D00C7 002D

NTSC
801E8D37 002D

The last four numbers must remain the same, as they are only values and nothing to do
with the address.

So using the above codes to find the difference between PAL and NTSC would work as follows:

801E8D37 - NTSC
801D00C7 PAL
=========
18C70
=========

So to find PAL codes from NTSC codes you subtract 18C70. This can be done using the
Windows Calculator in Scientific mode (Start/Programs/Accessories/Calculator then
View/Scientific and put it into Hex mode).

So to test this theory I will see if another NTSC code will port to PAL using this
maths equation (-18C70).

Change the Look of The Body Armour (Dam) NTSC
801E8C01 00??

801E8C01 -
18C70
========
801CFF91
=========

And by checking through my Code Archives I can see this is correct and 801CFF91 00??
is the change armour look code for PAL.

**ANOTHER METHOD***

Finally the millions (AND MILLIONS... hahaha) of readers of this FAQ have been
told FoxDie's secret porting method of choice. This method is called 'Comparison Hacking'.
This is done for porting codes from NTSC to PAL (or visa-versa). This is done by
comparing two RAM dumps to find codes. It is by far the most effective way of porting
but cannot be used on all occasions.

Comparison hacking can be done with emulators or AR/GS 3.2's. I will explain how to
do this process with AR/GS's as I have no experience with emulators.

Firstly the 3.2 must be set up to your PC through a 25 Pin M-F lead. Then the N64
utilities need to be installed.

When you are in game with code generator on, choose a still area of the game and hit
pause. Then choose 'Unknown search' (making sure 80000000-80400000 is displayed) on your
PC. This will give you your first RAM dump.

Next comes the hard bit. Get a friend in the region that has codes you want to
convert. Get them to take a RAM dump at the same point as you took yours and get them to send
it you.

Then you need to download a Hex-editing program (For example, Hew Workshop,
http://www.bpsoft.com). Use 'Find' on your computer and search for Train001.bin. You should
find two of these (one from your friend and the one you took).

==============================================================================================
TIP...... If using Hex Workshop, click Options/Preferences and click the layout tab. Set
rows to '8' and Group by '1 (byte)'. This will make Hex Workshop look just like the Memory
Editor on your AR.
==============================================================================================

Open these files in your Hex Editing program and click 'Goto'. Insert the code you
want to convert (don't include the values and substitute the first two digits of the code to
zeros). Then copy down all values on the row of said code, and go to your regions RAM dump.
Click 'Find' to search for these values and (hopefully) you will find them. Write down the
address of the value that corresponds with the other code and you will get your code (Make
sure you put the first two digits back on and the value from the original)!!!!

**ANOTHER METHOD***

A method that I overlooked on earlier versions of this guide is, 'Value-Assisted
hacking'. This type of porting is a simple and fast way of porting, although it cannot be used
on all types of code.
Firstly you find a code you want to Port (This code must be a modifier of some type,
i.e it has some digits). Then while in game, search for whatever value the digits on code
represent. Understand?

My explaniation above was maybe a little brief so here is an example:

Player Modifier 80001234 00?? (This is the code you want to port)

Digits:

01 - Johno
08 - Dummy
1A - Vikd

You would go into the game as Vikd and search for '1A'-hex ('26'-dec). Then quit and choose
Dummy, and search for '08'-hex ('08'-dec).
Hopefully after you have done this a couuple of times you will only come out with one
possibility. That should be your code.

**ANOTHER METHOD***

Here is the final method. If there are currently no codes avalible for your regions game, you
can do this; 'Address-Difference Porting'.
What this methord involves is a little hacking. Firstly you must hack one of the codes
that is all ready out for the other region (make it simple, i.e. Infinite Lives). Then you must
find the difference (In hexdecimal) between the foreign version of the code you hacked and
another code that has been hacked for a foreign version. Then add the difference to the code
you hacked. This will be your new code:

For example:

Infinite Lives 800001234 0003 Foreign
Always Flying 800001299 00FF Foreign (This is the code you want)

Firstly you would hack the Inifinite Lives.

TIP...... If you wish to know how to hack codes like this read the excellent FAQ to
hacking by macrox and Kong K. Rool. It is located here:
http://www.barlow89.freeserve.co.uk/ARHQ/hack3.txt.

Then you would find the difference between the two foreign codes above which is:

800001299 (in hex)-
800001234 (in hex)
=========
65 (in hex)
=========

Then lets say your code was 80123456 0003 you would add 65 (in hex, remembering not to
disturb the value) to it and you would have your new code, Always Flying (801234BB 00FF).

This will not work everytime for too many reasons than I could possibly explain.

---------------
Will this Apply to all codes in a game?

Not usually. In GoldenEye 007 I know of at least 5 different area's where the subtract numbers
are different. This is due to the fact that sometimes things maybe taken away from the coding
of the game in one version to make the game run smoother. The now infamous MCM code for
GoldenEye 007 is an example of this. It was taken away from the PAL version of the game and so
defies porting.

---------------
Do all games need to be ported?

In most circumstances games do need to be ported. But in a select few they don't.

At the moment games that's codes are the same for NTSC and PAL are:

Turok: Rage Wars (N64)
WCW/NWo Revenge (N64)
WCW/NWo: World Tour (N64)
WWF Wrestlemania 2000 (N64)
Syphon Filter (PSX)
Rival Schools: United by Fate (PSX)
Bomberman 64 (N64)

This means that both versions of the game are identical apart from the country it is written
for (This means running Turok: Rage Wars NTSC version on a PAL console still wouldn't work,
due to the fact that the number of lines on screen are different).

---------------
Game conversion formulae:

Here are a couple of known game formulas:

To find a different version's/player's codes, add/subtract the amount mentioned below
and you should find the new code.

WWF Attitude NTSC-PAL N64
+1F0 in Hexdecimal

Final Fantasy 8 NTSC-PAL PSX
+4B0 in Hexdecimal

Star Wars:Rogue Squadron NTSC-PAL N64
+20 in Hexdecimal

Street Fighter Alpha 3 NTSC-PAL PSX
-38 in Hexdecimal

GoldenEye 007 (801A0000-801E0000 region) NTSC-PAL N64
-18C70 in Hexdecimal

GoldenEye 007 (Very Low in RAM) NTSC-PAL N64
-ABO or -AB1 in Hexdecimal

GoldenEye 007 (80021000-80036000 region) NTSC-PAL N64
-4AB1 in Hexdecimal

GoldenEye 007 (before 80021000) NTSC-PAL N64
-2148 in Hexdecimal

WWF Wrestlemania 2000 PAL P1-P2, P2-P3, P3-P4 N64
-494 in Hexdecimal

Gran Turismo 2 NTSC (JAP)-NTSC (USA) PSX
-A00 in Hexdecimal

Jet Force Gemini (Unsure of area) NTSC-PAL N64
+228D0 in Hexdecimal

Zelda 64: TOoT NTSC(1.0)-PAL N64

Zelda 64: TOoT NTSC(1.1)-PAL N64
-23C0

Zelda 64: TOoT NTSC(1.2)-PAL N64
-28B0

Mario Kart PAL 1.0-1.1 N64
-E0

Gran Turismo 2 NTSC(1.0)-PAL PSX
+5D0

If you wish to contribute some conversion formulae please send them to:
FoxDie@email.com and please set them out as they are set out above.

---------------
Glossary:

PAL - This is the television standard in most of Europe and Australia

NTSC - This is the television standard in most of Northern America

Hexadecimal - A form of counting which has 16 digits (0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, A, B,
C, D, E, F) rather then the usual 10

Action Replay - A device made by Datel allowing you to change the coding of a game (Known
as a GameShark in America)

Equalizer - Cheaper version of the Action Replay

PSX - Short way of writing Playstation. Due to original development name

AR - Short for the Action Replay. See 'Action Replay'

GS - Short for Gameshark. See 'Gameshark'
---------------------------------------------------

MA2008
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:13 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote Back to top

Cheers Kode-Z this is exactly what i was looking for this will help alot.

Kode-Z
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Your very welcome! Very Happy

EDIT - Please note that this FAQ was written in 2000, thus a few of the links included will not exist. Also FoxDie, aka Ryan Barlow as far as I know doesn't participate in AR/GoldenEye hacking anymore, so emailing him would probably be a waste of time. This guide was a vital part of people hacking with an AR/GS back then, and should continue to do so in the future!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: