ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

bunker 2 incongruence

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye 007
View previous topic :: View next topic  
radorn

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:56 am    Post subject: bunker 2 incongruence Reply with quote Back to top

Hi:

I have played Goldeneye from day one, but having born and living in Spain, I haven't always be able to understand English, as is natural.
Back when I got my goldeneye copy, I didn't, so apart from "basic" words (my "basic" and "normal" settings for anything are pretty uncommon anyway, but that doesn't matter) and inferences I did not understand crap. For one, I skipped the mission briefings completely because they were too complex for me. Also, by the time, I haven't seen the movie so I was clueless at what was I expected to do.
Some things were easy to decypher, such as "Neutralise all alarms" which translates as "Neutralizar todas las alarmas" into Spanish, because even nouns are similar in their roots.
I had to resort to a game guide from a magazine to at least know what I had to do apart from killing guards, which spoiled a few surprises and things like that, but it was the price to pay to play the game, so...
I consider that I learned more English thanks to the N64 than at school Rolling Eyes.

Anyway, long introduction to a short topic, sorry Razz

I recently started a new game to play it properly, mision by mision, reading the briefings and everything. Not the same as if it was the first time, because I already know what to do, but anyway...

Today I played Bunker 2, and one of the objectives is a bit incongruent with the outcoming of the mission. Well, supposedly, the characters can't know what's going to happen, but the outcome of the mission renders one of the objectives useless.

I'm refering to the CCTV tape you have to recover. the reason is that tape is magnetic media and the Goldeneye is a EM weapon and one of it's effects is destroying electronic devices and also erasing all data stored electrically or magnetically. The reason given to the need of the tape recovery is so your capture doesn't trascend, and yet the mission fails even after you discover that the site is going to be destroyed... They could well have left the objective as "destroy the CCTV tape" instead of recover, and consider it as complete with the destruction of the site even if not done manually. You wouldn't be able to take it back anyway, you have only one minute to get out and even if you are out of the building, the EM would expand in a huge area, so chances of getting it back intact are nil.

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I never really thought about that, good observation!

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

MI6 and company didn't know about the GoldenEye satellite being primed to fire on Severnaya at the time. All they cared about, was getting Bond and the female prisoner out of there alive, as well as taking the security footage of their captures. It was a complete surprise to find out that General Ourumov had already targetted Petya (one of the two satellites) on the bunker area.

However, it is true that the Electro-Magnetic Pulse would've destroyed the data stored on the cassette tape. Whether or not you got it out of there in one piece wouldn't have made a difference. Still, at that time, they were totally unaware of what was going to happen. Getting that video away from prying eyes was of great importance to MI6, as visual data regarding one of their top operatives could have terrible consequences for both the agency, and 007, if placed in the wrong hands.

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

radorn

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

What I mean is, after discovering the inevitability of the tape's destruction (wheter it's only data destruction or total physical destruction), why have you fail the mission in case you forgot the tape inside the bunker? I mean, M should understand that, and Bond would have an excuse:

"Yeah... you know, I... I dumped it!... because... yeah, because the Goldeneye's EM impulse erased it... yeah, that's it! I dumped it because it was useless, so the mission is complete!! Come on M, lets have a glass of that Gin of yours to celebrate, 'kay?"

(Yeah, I know Bond wouldn't speak like that, but I don't know enough English to imitate him)

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Well, his objectives need to be completed before the satellite went off. I suppose once the satellite alarm was going off that objective could be null and void...still, you don't want Xenia grabbing that tape or Ouromov or anyone else.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye 007 All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: