ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

ReactOS (Windows NT clone)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Non-Gaming Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:24 pm    Post subject: ReactOS (Windows NT clone) Reply with quote Back to top

Reluctant to upgrade to Windows Vista (or even XP for that matter), I'm kinda excited about the upcoming beta release of ReactOS (expected sometime in 2008), an operating system built from scratch designed to be Windows software compatible

http://www.reactos.org/en/about_roadmap.html

I've never heard of this project before, but I can't wait for a stable release.

radorn

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I once got one 0.2.x version of this to boot in my computer, but newer versions didn't and I didn't want to install a pc emulator, so didn't try the newer alphas, but yes, I'm also very interested in seeing this go gold. But don't expect it too soon, though, as you can see, it's already been 12 years since it started and it's still alpha.
I wonder how they are thinking on remplementing things... hope they don't make things too unixy... don't like nixes.

Captin.Frosty
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I had to use that to reboot my imac when I went to college. I was running ubuntu first then switched to this now i am back to regular mac os.

zoinkity

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I was looking into it as a replacement for win98SE, but after applying the kernel extension, uberskin, and a few dozen other tweaks, I wouldn't drop 98 for the life of me.

Besides, for a lower-spec computer it isn't as much of a plus, and it isn't as compatible as, say, linux + WINE.

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I read somewhere that Vista, running bare, has 107 processes running and consumes a whopping 15 gigs of HD space. If that is true, then that is absolutely ridiculous. I won't upgrade from 2000 to XP because it doubles the processes from 18 to 36 or so.

So zoinkity - are you still running 98SE? I actually still have that on one of my 3 computers, it runs quite well with a 533 mhz processor. Not quite as stable as 2000 but it does what I need it to do.

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Counter-intuitively, even though XP requires more system resources it runs much better than 98SE ever did on my old computer. Seriously, the speed of that computer practically doubled after installing XP.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Non-Gaming Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: