ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Question re: splitting map into rooms

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Mapping and Modelling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GERage
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:21 am    Post subject: Question re: splitting map into rooms Reply with quote Back to top

Before I split my map into rooms, I have a question:

If you have 2 rooms which have been compiled/exported separately (assuming their textures are the same), are their textures shared or separate?

flopperr999
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I would have to say seperate because they compiled seperately. are you using the Preset-in-textures.txt method?

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

It depends on the method you're using. I assume you've decided to go with the one that selects the real original GE textures, rather than the lower quality .bmp's that Crafty exports and you have to change to 256 colours? If that's the case, then each room will use the same exact textures, since you've set it up that way in your "textures.txt" files.

Each room will have a different "RoomVertices.bin" and "RoomIndices.bin" fileset, though. So they are 'separated' in the way that they are setup, but they'll share the same texture preset ID's, so long as they exist within each room, of course.

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

GERage
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

That was helpful...but another question. What is the least tedious method for splitting a map into rooms?

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The way I've been doing it with my tests, is to use the following steps...

In Hammer
1: Do 'Edit' -> 'Select All'.
2: In Camera mode, hold 'Control' (CTRL), click on each object that consists of the room you want to export, and delete the rest.
3: Fill in any gaps or leaks with the null texture and null any extra faces.
4: Save as your map's room number.
5: 'Run' the project, to export your .bsp file.

In Crafty
6: Open the room .bsp file.
7: Export it as your .obj, .mtl, and .bmp textures.

Inbetween
8: Make a 'textures.txt' file for your room, with the image presets from ROM.

In GoldenEditor
9: Go to 'New', select Runway, and open the Visual Window.
10: Do "Convert .obj to GE Room Axes Swapped (if already added textures file)"
11: Select your 'textures.txt' file, load the room .obj, save the following files as "RoomXVertices.bin", "RoomXIndices.bin", and "RoomXIndices2.bin". (X is the room number)
12: Add a line to your "outputRoom.txt" file with this room's data.
13: In "Portals/BG" mode, right-click and "Delete All Portal Information".
14: In "Room Positions" mode, right-click and "Export Full Background File".
15: Select your "outputRoom.txt" file, then save as BG file.

Just make sure that everything is in the same folder. This includes every room, all vertice and indice files, the bitmaps that Crafty exported, and anything else related to your level. If not, there's a chance that something won't be found during one of the steps.

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

It's much faster if you don't delete any part of your map at all, instead simply seal all the entrances to the room with null blocks and move your start point inside of it. Compile, then (re)move the null blocks and do another room. I described this process in another thread but I can't find it now.

Edit: A little late in correcting this, but this doesn't always work...in fact, it hardly ever does. I happened to get lucky with it on my first test in that the block did somehow prevent the other room from compiling. In every large map I've tried this in, other parts of the map "magically" get compiled even without line-of-sight from the sealed in room. I don't get it at all, but there you go.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Mapping and Modelling All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: