ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Hacking PD's Button Codes (If they exist!)...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Carrington's Hacker Central
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kode-Z
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:51 am    Post subject: Hacking PD's Button Codes (If they exist!)... Reply with quote Back to top

Ok, so we don't know for sure IF they even exist, but I'm sure they do. Rare always have button codes in their games for testing purposes, regardless if they decide to release them or not. Now, I know how the button codes were hacked for GoldenEye, and that was done because of the 64 characters in multiplayer button code, which was the only code officially released by Rare.

The thing is that NO button codes were released for PD - which means that there is no baseline to start the hacking process of where the button codes lay in the ROM's memory.

Any possible theories as to how they can possibly be hacked in some way?

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I've spent some time looking, scanning memory for blocks that look like it. I just can't find it. Note: The MCM definitely existed at one time, or some form of it. There's a mem location which activates moveview, but it's not working right - just kinda screws up. So I'm thinking it was abandoned during development.

I don't know, maybe checking who reads the controller input, but I'm nto sure you'll get far, too much reads controller input.

Kode-Z
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I read somewhere that some guy had tried GoldenEye's button codes, and one of them activated a beep noise, which apparently opened up one of the cheats.

I think it was here:
http://www.yamoslair.com/pdrare.html

I'm sure if that were the case, then they would have been found by now. I don't know - I might pull out the AR later on and see if I can find anything. Probably nothing there, but you never know! Smile

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I'm not sure that's true. If it were, we'd have something to go on.

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
You're serious, aren't you? You're really serious... you people never fail to amaze me. Rare says there are no button codes in PD. Some stranger on a message board who doesn't use his real name and can't actually offer any kind of proof says that there are, and you fall over yourselves to believe every word. He's probably laughing himself stupid (well, more stupid) as we speak.

SubDrag wrote:
I'm not sure that's true. If it were, we'd have something to go on.

If the GE codes worked we would've known it a long time ago, I highly doubt that we could've gone this many years without anyone trying one. As much as they like leaving unused things in their games the button codes are probably one thing they did go out of their way to remove, they weren't too happy when GE's were discovered, even if they did acknowledge them on their site afterward.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

It's still possible they exist. No one's conclusively ruled them out.

Kode-Z
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

If I remember right, GoldenEye had a few button codes that did nothing in the same block where the Button Activator codes were. As I'm sure you all know, PD has tons of GoldenEye's leftovers in it's memory.

The point I'm making is that some of GE's button code sequences MIGHT still be in PD's memory even if they don't do anything. If this is a possibility, then I'm sure possible PD button codes will be near or around it.

I don't know, just a theory but I know there must be something!!! I'm going to keep trying to see if I can find anything. I mean, look how long it took to find the Citadel in GE!

DK25
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

a few years back i was looking up button codes to unlock anything in pd and i found one, but it didnt work.
i was supposed to be a code to unlock all combat simulater levels. Confused

Kode-Z
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

OK guys, I've come up with a method that should help me to locate any possible codes (if they are there, of course!)

I highly doubt that I'll find anything, but I'm trying to be positive. Even if all I find is a "Line Mode" activation cheat, it would be worth it! Very Happy

I'll post any progress here.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Line Mode... Ugh.
That should stay buried for ever and ever. Razz

Best of luck with your search, Kode-Z.

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

fantsu

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Kode-Z wrote:
OK guys, I've come up with a method that should help me to locate any possible codes (if they are there, of course!)

I highly doubt that I'll find anything, but I'm trying to be positive. Even if all I find is a "Line Mode" activation cheat, it would be worth it! Very Happy

I'll post any progress here.

still great, nice.

Kode-Z
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

As for now, the case is closed - there appears to be no button codes in the ROM's memory. I haven't entirely ruled it out, but based on knowledge that I have so far, it is inconclusive.

Looks like we'll have to stick to earning cheats the hard way! Wink

fantsu

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Kode-Z wrote:
As for now, the case is closed - there appears to be no button codes in the ROM's memory. I haven't entirely ruled it out, but based on knowledge that I have so far, it is inconclusive.

Looks like we'll have to stick to earning cheats the hard way! Wink

shame, but I'm not surprised, button codes are quite rare in games nowadays and back in late 90's...

zoinkity

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Your best bet to finding a button code, should they exist, would be to work backwards. Most likely they would have a slew to unlock either cheats or levels.

First, determine where in memory they keep a record of which cheats are available. Then, you search the entire rom for the lower halfword of the base address for the start of the cheat list. So, if the cheats were at 80079D50 (which they aren't), you'd search for 9D50. There's only going to be a fixed number of occurances, so you'll be able to sort out reads from writes by looking at those routines.

Granted, it sort of sucks doing it, but if they exist you're bound to happen across something.

However, since they don't seem to have any button-cheat text, you're probably up the creek. If there was, you could seach for text codes near the jump to display text.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Carrington's Hacker Central All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: