ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Request for map layout

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Mapping and Modelling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Slimulation X
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:51 pm    Post subject: Request for map layout Reply with quote Back to top

Hi, I'm Slimulation X and I am a developer on Team GoldenEye:Source, working with Sharpsh00tah on a number of maps, including Runway, Bunker, Streets, and Caverns.

I know its only my first post, but I came here primarily for this reason, as well as to get community advice on our work in progress, in as much as i'm allowed to divulged to the public.

Now my question, does anyone have any overhead map layouts of the original levels that me and Sharpsh00tah are working on? it would help us out a lot. Also, opinions on what should and shouldnt be converted from the Rare engine to Source would be appreciated, as well as insights on new features and locations to be included.

I've been here before in the past under a different username that i cant remember, and i must say you guys do great work for a game that is in my heart as one of the best of all time. Kudos for everything!

-Slim

TimEh
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

ya ill put together a lttle package with all the info you might need

radorn

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Simulantion X
I suggest you download the GE setup editor as it allows you to export the full levels in Wavefront OBJ format, and from there it should be easy to build upon them.
you'll have to open the level you want to edit, go into the visual editor, switch to room positions mode and right clik inside the visual window and select the proper export option.
In the case of Streets, most of the level is made of OBJECTS and not static geometry, so you'll get only a small fraction of the level. In this case you can also export the clipping of the level, and at least you'll have the floorplan of the portion of the level that's not available in the BG file.

Now for the suggestions.
I haven't actually played either PD or GE conversions to PC FPS engines myself, but from the videos there are a good deal of things I noticed. I don't know if it's possible for you to do it or possible at all, but, you have to improve greatly on the FEEL of the game, because it has nothing to do with GE or PD at all. They just feel like any other generic PC FPS.
You should observe the original game and replicate the head movement, how the gun moves slighty to the sides when you turn, instead of being stiff towards the center of the screen. You should remove jumps (or at least allow for that option), and also try to reconfigure the damage system to match GE's more closely instead of the "hyper-realist" style of today's games, where you get these almost intant deads and once you kill someone he falls like a ragdoll, try to make more interesting deads, not so fulminating. Replicating the original ones would be cool, but others may be good too, just keep it more original than the standard fulminated ragdoll deads.
Also pay more attention to how guns shot in the original game.
I don't know about you guys, but there's something very satisfying about the way guns shot in GE and PD, but most FPS's nowadays are just crappy and feel like farting or spitting. They may actually be more realist but none the less they fail to satisfy me, and IMHO, the satisfaction of firing these guns is an important part of GE, even more with an appropriate reaction of the bullets on the environment and guards.

Well, thats my opinion. GE is not just the levels, guns and music, but a much broader range of elements and details you should look into and try to replicate.

TimEh
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

i have the pictures ready whenever you want them.

sometimes the obj exported from GEsetup editor isnt readible by some modelers and tricky modifying to the obj is needed.

i agree with radorn. One thing that hasnt been matched even by modern fps is the death animations. Sure ragdolls seemed sweet at first. but really, people should be making more variety with that by now. One thing i like with left for dead is that when you kill a zombie they take a few more steps or something and then ragdoll. Like for a goldeneye source example. When some one shot in the neck. you could play a the neck holding animation, then after a certain amount of time in the animation, ragdoll. Ive played around much with the hl2 source code and that is deffinatly possible. actually wouldnt be that hard to add

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Not to get too off-topic, but I wish more of these projects would focus on the single player aspect of the game, too. To my knowledge the only GoldenEye conversion that did so was Goldeneye Doom II (which played nothing like GoldenEye, and was incomplete).

Also, this should be of use.

Slimulation X
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for the comments. Interesting input and ideas.

Although i have to tell you that my job description only covers the models and level designs. The team has managers and quality control that are responsible for the gameplay, and in that i dont have alot of say except to offer my 2 cents, which may or may not be regarded.

Ive messed around with the GoldenEye setup editor in the past, but i stay pretty busy so im not sure i'll have the time to really learn it or anything. I may give it another shot though.

TimEh, whenever you can give the pics, please do so. Thank you for bothering. lol

EDIT: A side note. Beta 4 is on the horizon, and alot of things that have been said to need fixing, should be fixed this time around. We plan to release new maps, as well as some overhauls to the way the game plays. I cant specify exactly how, and in some areas I'm not totally sure as its not my department (i had class the day the beta tests were done) but hopefully these bugs will be worked out.

Single player is definitely on the agenda, but we need to finish up all the maps as well as work out the gameplay mechanics and get them just right before we begin any mission modes, as those will take up ALOT of our time, once we start them.

DF Ank1
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I thought The GoldenEye: Source Team have not the law to make a singelplayer mod ?

I saw a viedeo on youtube where i GE:S DEV make the Singelplayer Mission. It was the ge_facility_backzone. It was i really great viedeo. Like in the movie. EVERYTHING Like in the movie. I never would forget this viedeo.

Unfortanly it was deled.
Alec: Fate

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Mapping and Modelling All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: