ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Do you need menu hacking?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Goldfinger 64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zoinkity

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:07 pm    Post subject: Do you need menu hacking? Reply with quote Back to top

Do you want a backdrop and highlight box for the character names during character introduction?

Heck, do you want to severly contort any of the menus?

monkeyface

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Now that you mention it, I've thought about it more than once. But I can't honestly say that I've come up with anything. The visuals will be worked over, but that's not what you're talking about. Maybe you could give some examples of what would be possible.

Can you bring in models into the menus? It'd be nice to check a mission and then see models spin around that's related to the objectives... But maybe that's way out there. I know there's plenty of interesting things that could be done, though.

radorn

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I can't really say, but menus are actually 3d models so, theoretically, it should be possible to remodel them.
Maybe spinning objects would be too much, though.

monkeyface

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Didn't think of that, of course they're models... The animation is there, right? In the watch menu you have those spinning weapons, maybe that could be moved to the main menu? I'm just spouting things, I don't know how far you are with animation hacking or whatever you should call it.

radorn

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

monkeyface wrote:
Didn't think of that, of course they're models... The animation is there, right? In the watch menu you have those spinning weapons, maybe that could be moved to the main menu? I'm just spouting things, I don't know how far you are with animation hacking or whatever you should call it.

Well, I meant models in the broad sense of them being made out of 3D mapped triangles with textures and color shading, and that's as much as I know.
I don't know if they qualify as objects that can be animated in the GE engine. Hell, I don't even know what kind of engine takes care of the menus, or if it's the same one used during actual gameplay or in the watch menu...
I only said that they are 3D stuff. You can easily verify this with an emulator by turning on wireframe mode in your video plugin. I assume that, since they are 3D, there must be a way to remodel them, but that's as much as I can assume at this point.

zoinkity

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The folder menus are models with many individual parts. In the documentation you'll see in all the menus that they turn off all the parts, then activate just the ones they want to display.

I suppose other models could be displayed, it is just a matter of loading them and shoving them someplace. Granted, I haven't really tried to do that yet, but hey, first time for everything.

I didn't really mean remodel them though. Anyone can do that, and half the stuff consists of mere images anyway. Instead, I was wondering if you want to change the interface; move the locations of stuff, use different types of highlighting or selection, or change what menus appear when.
For instance, adding a coloured or textured backdrop to the "actors" bit in the intro, making highlight bars beneath the text on the same screen, fiddling with the legal screen, etc.

[addmendum]
One thing, unless I can get the recorder working again, is we +will+ need to disable rolling into recorded games. That consists of a whopping 1-byte change, but it would still need to be done.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Goldfinger 64 All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: