ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

When headshots don't kill...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Perfect Dark
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tobias
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:59 pm    Post subject: When headshots don't kill... Reply with quote Back to top

...topic name sounds like the intro to a movie about DLTK runs in GoldenEye, haha.

Anyway, I've always been under the impression that headshots in PD were designed to kill all (human) enemies, no matter what, in Solo.
But one day, while I was screwing around in Maian S.O.S. (where the guards have a pretty high amount of health) with enemy health at 1000%, I fired a short-range laser beam at a guard's head, only to discover that it takes about 3 "shots" to the head to kill those guards with a short-range laser beam.

Intrigued, I entered Deep Sea with enemy health set to 1000%, since those cloaked guards at the beginning have the highest health of any guards in the game, I believe. I discovered that it takes 10 short-range laser shots to the head to kill those guards, or 2 shots to the head with a Klobb. All other guns (excluding the Tranquilizer, etc.), I believe, kill any guard in one headshot under all circumstances.

So I guess that headshots aren't designed to kill in one shot all the time. It's just that they do a ridiculous amount of damage that will always kill a guard, even with 10 times their normal health, unless the gun is exceptionally weak, such as the Klobb, or the Laser on short-range mode.

So it probably looks like I'm making a big deal over a tiny discovery, and I probably am. Rolling Eyes But I always thought that a headshot = a guaranteed kill, until now. Probably others thought that, too.

Any thoughts?

oxidice
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

First of all I very rarely play solo anymore and solo & multi surely have a lot of differencies but, it would make sense if all guards were to get killed by one head shot in solo, but I think it all comes down to weapon damage and then that damage being multiplied by whatever body part it hits.

Weaker weapons naturally have lower damage and i think thats what causes them not to headshot kill everytime. For example in GE Klobb (and single cartinge from shotgun) is only weapon with damage below 1 and taking in account that you said it took 2 headshots to kill with Klobb, so damage multiplier on head could be 10 (Im not sure at all) and probably guards health is 10 so every other weapon would deal excatly that amount except for Klobb which would only deal 6 damage so I think it all comes down to stuff like this.

But anyways I could be horribly wrong and this is just what I felt would seem logical

EDIT: Klobbs damage is 0.6

Tobias
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, it looks like you're thinking along similar lines as me.

Rare must have increased the head damage multiplier from GoldenEye though, since even in 00 Agent several guards (besides the Special Forces blue hat guards) could take two shots to the head with a normal-strength gun. Doesn't quite make sense, but definitely adds a little challenge.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Hehe, atleast Rare took it upon themselves to make different parts of the body receive unique damages (and reactions). I don't know how many games I've played, even from just a few years ago, where you'd pump round-after-round into a guy and have him just stand there. Many of the other Bond titles suffered from this. Their guards would be brickhouses that'd seemingly feel no pain and be incredible strong, to boot. Just one more reason why I prefer GoldenEye and Perfect Dark in the FPS genre.

Yeah, it's measuring the damage based on weapon strength. Depending on the difficulty level and attributes applied, they'll respond differently to your attacks. The Klobb, or KLO1313, is just so weak, that it takes far more ammo to kill your target. Hell, it even takes seven shots instead of four to break a window! Razz

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

klombernzx
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

it took me a clip and a half to kill a single skedar with a klobb. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Perfect Dark All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: