ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Ubuntu Goldeneye, with controller.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Online And Emulation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zerojett
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:10 am    Post subject: Ubuntu Goldeneye, with controller. Reply with quote Back to top

I am piecing together how to play Goldeneye once again.
I upgraded to Ubuntu not long ago, and I nearly have it running. Only thing is, I am using Mupen64plus... does this work well enough on unix?

I got my Xbox controller working too, should be interesting for Goldeneye.

Gameshark codes do not seem to be working amazingly, and I am unsure for how I should get online working. any help is appreciated.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
radorn

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Mupen64, old version and Plus (which is the continuation of the project, with the original author also involved) are the only N64 emus for nix OS's as far as I know. Well, maybe there are some ancient ones, but Mupen is the only decent and upgraded one available natively for nixes.
It doesn't have online yet, mostly because kaillera is mostly win only and no client libraries exist for linux or something like that. I think they are going to make their own system for online play to replace kaillera.

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I don't do emulation on Linux (I don't do much of anything on Linux, come to think of it...), but Mupen64Plus is one of the nicer emulators available. Unfortunately I had issues with the sound and controller plugins. I never got sound working, and while the controller plugin worked, it didn't "feel" right at all when playing. I'm not sure if there are alternatives available for Linux or not.

For graphics, Glide64 Napalm can be complied on Linux now, so the games will look great. There's bound to be performance issues compared to running on Windows, though, at least on nVidia cards.

radorn

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

yeah, graphics performance may be an issued because of the X-Window windowing system and linux only having OpenGL available for interfacing to GPU's, and not the faster and more optimized for games Direct-X.
OpenGL is heavier than DX and also consumer GPUs are designed with DX in mind since that's were the money of most buyers is on anyway...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Online And Emulation All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: