ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Welcome to 2010

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Goldfinger 64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
monkeyface

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:42 pm    Post subject: Welcome to 2010 Reply with quote Back to top

Hello folks, seems like I'm late for the New Year celebrations.

Sorry for not being so active lately, sometimes life takes it toll. Actually, I've spent most of the weekend watching movies and pottering about my own little projects, got a plethora of them. But I did keep the Goldfinger project in mind, and gave it a thought at least once a day, even got some new sketches for it.
Though, thinking about it and sketching is not the same thing as actual modeling and work, so now I'm back. Check the Prison-thread to see what I did once I finally opened up Softimage again.

Back to business then, here is what I'll be working on for this beautiful year:

Prison, I'll have to finish it before anything else.

Train-station. I'm looking forward to this map. In my mind it's that kind of rural train-station, and it'd be sort of like a Runway-map, short but sweet.

Golf club. This one will be easy, hopefully. Some detail-work on the "palace" in the background which you wont be able to enter, some tree-props, a little golf-course, done. Not exactly, but it feels like it could be pleasant map, for both me and the player.

Auric's mansion. Now this one will be interesting I think. The closest you get to a mansion in Goldeneye is when you enter the first-class compartments in Train. Could be a fun multiplayer-map as well.

Mexico. The map I began with, and hopefully also one I will end.

Those are maps I have planned for, done sketches for and overview-maps. Not sure exactly how it will go, maybe it'll take less time than I expected. Maybe more. We'll see.

That means there are 6 other maps to be done. From the mission-thread:

India, smuggling bust

Airport in England

Alps in Switzerland

Auric Industries

Chinese associates

Plane, final showdown and escape.

If you wish to try your hand at any of these missions above, just say so. If you want it, I can supply you with screens from the movie, sketches and advice/ideas for design and such.

Also, I'd like these people to make some noise in this thread, or, if you prefer, PM me:

Dragonsbretheren, Miami Hotel
Camaro, Baltimore ranch
radorn, Fort Knox

No problem if you cant work on it for the moment, but I need to know your status.

Later on I'll start a more detailed thread listing specific props, textures and items that needs to be done, but for now we'll settle for this, a basic review of the folks we have gathered and if there are any uncertainties that needs to be cleared up.

Lastly, I'm going to get a little bit motivational.
I take time, obviously. But I work like that. If there is something I want to finish, I will, eventually. Bit by bit I'll pull this project through. Hopefully with your help, but if the time isn't right or something else just doesn't feel right, I'll keep tugging at this by myself 'til it makes sense. At least knowing that the sages of Goldeneye-hacking is watching over me.

I'm really looking forward to what 2010 will bring and how this project will evolve, that's all I wanted to say. Stay put and talk to you later.

- monkeyface

Camaro
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Woo!! Nice to see you monkeyface, glad to see an update! Due to a pretty nasty computer virus, an out of date graphics card, and school I haven't gotten much work done on the map. Also, not seeing any updates about the project kinda watered down my enthusiasm. I decided that using Hammer wasn't the way to go as the map would have to be optimized to extreme levels. So I scrapped that one and am now starting to use DeleD. I'm still getting used to it and I have some parts of the map, but once I'm fluent with it I should have no problem. I still have my sketches and a good memory so I should be able to recreate how much of the map I had pretty quickly. I need to get more focused as I have a bunch of ideas scattered around my brain, once I do this I'll be able to work more efficiently.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Camaro wrote:
Woo!! Nice to see you monkeyface, glad to see an update! Due to a pretty nasty computer virus, an out of date graphics card, and school I haven't gotten much work done on the map. Also, not seeing any updates about the project kinda watered down my enthusiasm. I decided that using Hammer wasn't the way to go as the map would have to be optimized to extreme levels. So I scrapped that one and am now starting to use DeleD. I'm still getting used to it and I have some parts of the map, but once I'm fluent with it I should have no problem. I still have my sketches and a good memory so I should be able to recreate how much of the map I had pretty quickly. I need to get more focused as I have a bunch of ideas scattered around my brain, once I do this I'll be able to work more efficiently.

Time to get excited again !

Entropy Soldier
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

i am actually looking into a way to cut out the subdivide portion of the hammer compile process. ZHLT doesn't support it, but the original valve tools do, it seems.

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I was planning on picking up the India mission if you gave the okay on my plan:

http://www.shootersforever.com/forums_message_boards/viewtopic.php?t=4041

Dragonsbrethren wrote:
The India mission...I'm thinking Depot. Well, Depot-style. Instead of a train yard, a shipping yard. A Frigate-style freighter unloading containers full of smuggled gold (ship likely won't be accessible), and a large warehouse where the gold is being stored. Throw in a few trucks (maybe edit the semi model; remove the beta glass and replace it with black tinted glass, and fix the trailer object), loads of workers surprisingly efficient with firearms, and I think you've got a mission right there. If you like the idea, I'll plan a layout in the next few days, and model it when I'm done with the hotel.

If the book/movie mentions any details in particular that could be worked in, let me know.

The hotel is coming along nicely, I just redid some of my earlier stuff to make it more optimized, and I think I finally settled on a texture theme, but I'm not sure yet. I'm copying the film pretty closely, but had to make some changes to make it all fit together.

EternallyAries

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Hay Dragonsbrethren i hope you wont mind if i ask if you can give us some pics of your hotel map? that wud be so nise of you

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Actually, I've already posted a couple, I just didn't announce them as such. The tiny guard and exploded hallway were both taken in the hotel.

That said, here's a nicer in-game shot I took during a test import the other day:

Kind of bland looking; the outside areas weren't imported, and the textures really weren't meant to be seen that way. They're all grayscale and designed to be recolored, since the film has three different colors of wallpaper in its shots, and I figured I'd be better off using a single texture for them all, same with carpets. Of course, the vertex colors need to wait until the geometry is 100% complete, or I'd need to redo them every time I made a change to the room.

EternallyAries

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wow Dragonsbrethren that a grat vu

monkeyface

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thank you Camaro. Yes, I know how it feels like when the thing you're working on doesn't seem to move forward. The blame is to be put on me, not very used to the administrative position I'm afraid. This will hopefully work better in the future, though. Thanks to SubDrag as well, for giving me a well-needed push.

Sounds great, dragonsbretheren! Looking really nice and clean, I can completely see where this is going.

About the India-mission.
It was some time since I read the book, so I'm not completely certain in what context India was discussed, but I'm pretty sure Bond never was there. This is what the wiki-page says:

"Bond manages to trace Goldfinger to a warehouse in Geneva where the white-gold armor of Goldfinger's Rolls-Royce Silver Ghost is regularly being melted into aircraft seat-frames, to be smuggled into India."

In the movie, the warehouse is Auric Industries, and Bond is captured shortly after that.

Other than that, no. You would have more than just a little freedom with this map, I think.
Contact me with props you think you could need. The freighter is a good example, but try to pin down some more.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Goldfinger 64 All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: