ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Some BETA PD pics!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Perfect Dark
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks. Smile Lots of cool stuff here to go over.

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Here are 74 shots from Rare's site circa 1999. A few were lost to the ether (there should be at least 88 in total), and many of them have been seen before, but these are high quality. They're low resolution though; I know double res copies of these exist for some shots, but not whether all of them have a hi-res counterpart, nor would I know where to find them.

Here's a zip containing everything:

http://dragonsbrethren.slickproductions.org/pdpria/images/rareshots/rareshots.zip

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

They're cool shots but I think I've seen them all before. Did any jump out as new?

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

There are a few older ones I don't remember seeing before, and I've never seen any of the near-final/final stuff before (probably because no one thought they were worth posting). These are better quality than the scans we have, though.

The only one that really jumped out at me was this:

There's a third digit next to player 1's ammo, but there's also a digit missing from player 2's. They seem to have had a really hard time getting the ammo display drawing right with the split screen, so that probably explains it. The digit is a 0, and player 2's ammo bars are empty.

The fact that it's red made me think of primary/secondary functions, though, like maybe they were originally numbered. I doubt it though, first explanation seems more likely.

Also, maybe it's just the angle that shot is taken at, but that floor and pillar is shiny in the final version.

(I've seen it plenty of times before, but I love that octagonal radar display. I don't know why they didn't keep that.)

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I never noticed that third digit. I think it belongs to second players rocket though. I bet you're right, just an awful time drawing them and finally just changed the style.

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I'm glad they changed them, though, the final layout with them stacked is much cooler looking. Especially the way pistols and other small magazine weapons get individual blocks for each shot. I just wish the numbers used for ammo and the timer were bigger.

I find this one interesting, too. Jo with a ZMG, in third person, firing. I think the muzzle flash is just edited in; this looks exactly like all of the other Move View shots, and the flash just looks wrong.

radorn

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I think that muzzle fire is not editted in. I know I have seen footage of that same scene and it's part of the game. As I said in the other post, I'll eventually get to upload those beta videos somewhere, soon, hopefully.

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Interesting. I agree with you about it not being edited, even without seeing the clip. I was watching a guard fire a CMP150 yesterday, and it really does look like that from the right angles. I was thinking the muzzle flashes were always completely round no matter what angle you viewed them from. I'm still not sure how you'd get a shot like that, unless the Move View option allowed you to retain control of Joanna, or it was a cutscene. I don't think it's co-op, since there's no ammo bars, and that shot is from pretty early in development.

radorn

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

that particular shot is from a cutscene. camera rotates arround joanna, and she does one of these fancy animations so it was neither MP or solo play with a non subjective view, but an scripted scene. probably just an early test or showcase of the improved cutscene system.

anyway, I think that scene was at the end of the video I uploaded a while ago, but the link is long down since the hosting system I used only keeps stuff for some days.

Any suggestions on some more permanent free hosting for large files (tens or hundreds of megabytes per file) would be appreciated, specially if it requires no registration. Very Happy

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Sorry, I don't know of any good free hosts. Normally I'd offer to host this kind of thing myself, but I don't think the guy who gives me free webspace would appreciate files that large. Hopefully someone else can offer a suggestion.

I grabbed that video back when you posted it, but I think I was using my laptop at the time, which I've since wiped. I don't have the video on this computer, anyway.

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Some really minor things I just noticed in the Battle Shrine shots:

Those white lights on the back wall are bright green in the final version. There's also a Skedar symbol there, which I can't tell if it's present in the shot or not. Kind of interesting, that light-emitting pillar is an object, meaning that some things were in place at this point.

The cryo-pod doors are missing, along with a large pillar. The gray wall fades into the tan rock much better in this shot than it does in the final. Of course, this is also the shot of "stripes" with his nifty cap partway through his head.

Missing double doors and crates. Why would the Skedar have crates from Area 51 anyway? There is no place where a wall support touches the floor like the one in the foreground of this shot, but its shadow is still there.

Well known shots, but they warrant attention. The battle shrine does something special with room 02 which makes it always follow you through the stage. This is how that rainbow coloration is given to the sky - room 02 is actually a box which uses vertex coloring to create that effect. At some point, the effect must have been disabled, or these shots wouldn't be possible. The earliest trailer we have shows the rainbow sky fully functional, though, as do the two shots from the Skedar King's chamber, which makes this really odd. The ammo bars on the first shot make it clear that these are near-final, too.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

In that first shot, isn't there also a small "sacrificial" platform underneath that white light on the far left of the back wall? You're supposed to lay down a weapon in order to unlock the door above you on higher difficulties. It doesn't appear to be there in that pre-release shot.

Perhaps the skybox in WAR! was deactivated, or not setup properly, in those shots? If Room 02 was static and not moving, it is possible for the player to move outside of it. The sky looks completely different from what it does now, doesn't it? I know it is daytime in Skedar Ruins - Battleshrine. Is it the same or different in WAR!?

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I wasn't sure about the altar; it's actually kind of hard to tell based on the distance, but I don't think it's there, either.

WAR! uses the same sky as the Battle Shrine mission. The first shot is from Battle Shrine, and the second was used as WAR!'s select photo. I always thought it would've been cool if they had used that dark sky (which is just the default colors used by every solo stage and the Skedar CS arena) for WAR!, make it take place at night, but now that we know how the backdrop works that's not possible. If you enable that sky in the final version, the backdrop is very obvious from the spot in the first shot (you get maybe a quarter of the actual sky visible). It must have been disabled, I'm fairly certain even if it was at a fixed position it would be visible in the first shot.

Speaking of WAR!, I just recently realized you can backtrack through the whole exterior area of the stage. I wandered around back there for a while (they even set the pillars to be destroyed at the start), and when I came back I found a ton of Callistos and Maulers littering the interior areas. The Skedar almost punched through to the leader, though, so you can't just have your buddies run in and clear the place out.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Perfect Dark All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: