ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

SketchUp now fully supported

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Mapping and Modelling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
radorn

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:04 pm    Post subject: SketchUp now fully supported Reply with quote Back to top

At my request, SubDrag has been so nice to modify the Editor's full level OBJ importer to support the strangely formatted OBJ groups (g statements) that SketchUp's OBJ exporter spits out.
Thanks to him, it is now just a matter of performing some simple manual material file cleanup to make SketchUp exported OBJ files good for the GE editor. Primary/Secondary is also supported.

Prior to this, you had to either make single room imports or perform an extensive, tiresome and error prone manual modification on the OBJ file for a slight chance of getting it to work. I can only imagine the pain that it would imply doing that for a level as big as I intend Fort Knox to be.

Big thanks to SubDrag, and expect a GE oriented SU tutorial from me... eventually Wink

NOTE: OBJ export is only supported in licensed PRO version of SketchUp, but I'll try to find some workarround to get OBJs from the free version too.
There are some free plugins for that, but the ones I tried are not very good, lack texture support and other problems.

Last edited by radorn on Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:19 am; edited 1 time in total

EternallyAries

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Ah man you beat me to it i just download the SketchUp just for fun and to see if its better then DeleD and well no to me its not the best but it works and i find out that the SketchUp has a OBJ import but you need Pro to get wich i unstall it.

radorn

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Well, it's been almost 2 years I've been building GE levels in sketchup, and it's been mentioned in the forums previously. It's just that numerous and recurrent computer problems (and lack of money to wipe them out once and for all by buying a new one) have kept me from working more on them and eventually getting them to a playable status. That will eventually change... soon I hope.

EternallyAries

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

so what the level you ben working on sketchup radorn do you got pics?

Yay my 400th post.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Sub just keeps making the Editor more compatible and powerful. The thing really is brilliant. I couldn't imagine doing everything the old fashioned way again. Consider us all very spoiled. Smile

By the way, I'm still hoping for the Super Mario 64 Castle map, Radorn. That thing was looking sweeeet. It'd make for a really fun multiplayer experience.

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

EternallyAries

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

oh i thenk i seen one of the forms that wus showing the super mario 64 Castle it did look so cool Wreck.

radorn

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

yeah yeah, my mario 64 maps are (yes, in plural, more than one) still sitting on my disks waiting for me to be able to work on them properly again, but I'm on a really long streak of computer problems and having no money currently to get a new system that just works instead of struggling with pieces of junk stitched toghether, which is what I have now.
It's not that I'm not somewhat proud of having been able of going this far with that pile of semi-working or old stuff, but it's been too long, I'm swamped and tired and I can work miracles out of these.

I'm looking at a number of maps from many N64 classics (and not so classic in some cases), and I'm thinking that if I manage to get a good number I could make a nice map pack eventually.

I yearn for a new computer... Sad

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Mapping and Modelling All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: