ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

[Map] Egyptian Temple - Nov 9th, 2010
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye X
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:22 am    Post subject: [Map] Egyptian Temple - Nov 9th, 2010 Reply with quote Back to top

With the first form of Temple nearly complete, I figured it might be a good idea to begin working on another map. It was a toss up between Cradle and Egyptian. But when I considered how much clean up the actual Cradle background is going to require for the port, I decided to go with Egyptian.

The entire floor is clipped, but I kind of cheated the stairs. I basically just clipped the ledge next to the steps and built a ramp over them. It does the job for now. I'll need to do the walls and pillars soon. All areas with water even have the proper sound effect. The multiplayer setup was converted from the GE original, and the six doors were all ported over. I'm not removing any of the pads, as the path network could likely be incorporated from the mission setup. Some slight modifications will be necessary, especially for drops. I also remember that characters couldn't follow you into the Golden Gun room. Not sure if that was because the door was locked, or if the network didn't link into there. If that is the case, we might need different pads files for the mission and the CS versions.

The body armour located near the shiny pillar where you battle Samedi for the final time will remain there, along with two new ammo crates that'll load in when required. The other armour will be moved into the Golden Gun room, as it is too close to another weapon set and nothing is in the other room. It won't be far from old position, and will fill in the last empty space.

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

Last edited by Wreck on Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:28 am; edited 2 times in total

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Pretty cool. Like I said elsewhere, I'm wondering how this will run in PD. The GE solo setup seems to run fine, but multi has always been very slow (maybe because it needs to render so many columns in so many viewports?). Even with my new hardware, Egyptian is the only stage that I can't run at full speed, VI counter drops to about 40 instead of the steady 60 I get everywhere else.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I opened up the mission setup file and exported the path sets using the GoldenEditor, then used the Perfect Editor to import them into the PD CS setup. It seemed to work exactly as it should. The network doesn't go into the Golden Gun room, so that would need to be added in. It also could use a few more connections, as well as the drops included. But as far as traditional path networks are concerned, direct porting will work just fine. I really need to clip the walls and pillars, though. The simulant kept falling out of the map and dying. Razz

DB: Which emulator and with how many players? I had two-players on Mupen64++ and the VI counter was staying well above 55. Any place or situation in specific where it bombs that I could compare it to?

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Project64 with Glide64. I was playing two players. P2 spawned into the large room where Samedi first appears in solo, I was running around the stage. It was the worst just outside of the corridor leading to the golden gun room. When I was looking into the large room from that room, with a lot of pillars in both in view, it really dropped. Other places were fine.

Last edited by Dragonsbrethren on Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Would be fun to co-op these, always dreamed about it in GE.

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, it would be fun to drag 009 along for the ride or something. (Wait, he died in The Living Daylights, right? I forget which other 00 agents have been shown in the films. 004 blew himself up, according to Silo's briefing...)

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

One of the 00's was killed in the events prior to A View to a Kill. MI6 lost contact with him during his mission to secure a prototype microchip developed by Zorin Industries, I think. Can't remember what his number was, though.

...through the magical use of a fantastic new invention called the "Internets", it appears as though the unfortunate agent was 003.

Yeah, two-player cooperative missions would be a lot of fun. We would need to come up with a generic partner for Bond, much like Velvet was to Jo. Basically just choose a good head and give him a name.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

LOL, the 'cheat' that I used for the stairs in the level...
It turns out that Rare did the exact same thing in the original Egyptian. I guess I actually did it the right way, after all. A nice sigh of relief there.

I'm working on a preview patch that includes a bunch of different GE ports. There should be four maps, two characters and a few weapons. The ammo crate and body armour are also both included. I hope to give it a test online with DB before releasing it to the public. It'll be available to everyone who has access to this forum, even if it is decided that we should wait a little longer before it is ready for release. So get prepared. Wink

Kode-Z
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

These GE levels really look great in PD, Wreck! I've always liked the Egyptian maps' layout.

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wreck wrote:
LOL, the 'cheat' that I used for the stairs in the level...
It turns out that Rare did the exact same thing in the original Egyptian.

Ha, so is that why you can run down the "stairs" so fast you end up bouncing through the ceiling?

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, that would definitely explain the bouncing behaviour. I think your head pops up through the ceiling when you first run down the drone gun shoots, too. I noticed that it happens in PD, at least. Considering how similar they are, I'd think it'd be the same. It's actually kind of scary how much the games play alike. I guess that's better for us.

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Do you happen to know if they faked stair clipping like that anywhere else? It would certainly be easier in a lot of cases.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

We'd have to look into each case to tell. It makes sense in Egyptian, considering their design. The ramp tiling was probably the best way to go. Doing both the sides and the stairs would cause problems, especially with how GE handled the clipping. If they did it all using the stair style, you'd probably see feet sticking through the side ramps. The stairs are very tiny, too. That's a ton of tiles to worry about, and might not be quite as smooth as the option they went with. Simply using two tiles to do the entire set of stairs is very cost efficient.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Those are our new weapon sets, made up of the two original body armours. One was lifted out of the large area where you first encounter Baron Samedi and moved into the Golden Gun room. The other is in almost the same position as in GoldenEye, only having been shifted a little closer toward the side wall (or closer to the second player screen). I tried to place the ammo crates where I thought Rare might have, given the arrangement of the other sets. I think they fit in nicely and fill out the areas well.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Just another update: Pretty much everything is clipped except for the pillars. I know it'd be easy to just clip everything in the room at once and remove the ceilings and other unnecessary parts after, but I prefer to do it on a tri-by-tri basis. Crazy, yes. It may take a lot longer to do, but this gives me far more control over the final outcome, and allows me to greatly optimize the file. Rather than using six tiles for one wall section, I can tweak it so there's only two. Where ever I can save on tiles without making a big compromise on the RGB, I'll gladly take it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye X All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: