ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

[XBLA] dD Defection - clipping on unused floors!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Perfect Dark
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kode-Z
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:53 am    Post subject: [XBLA] dD Defection - clipping on unused floors! Reply with quote Back to top

I'm starting to wonder if the dD building originally had more floors to explore.

Take a look at these pics that I took (sorry about the quality - took these with my phone!):

I used the infamous "fall through the level" glitch to fall into the dark depths below. If you time it right, you can land on each of the "fake" floors.

The first thing that came to mind seemed obvious - it's just to give the illusion that each floor does exist, so to speak (like a film set.)

Then, if you think about it, why would Rare put clipping on these floors if they are not accessible? Maybe during development, there was an intention to have more floors accessible - but such a possibilty would have made the level dog slow, and would have been very difficult for a first level.

Could also be that Rare simply "copied and pasted" the different floors (which had the clipping data), and deleted the unnecessary rooms.

Any theories? Or am I thinking too much?! Razz

Only tried this in XBLA version - considering that it is an exact port, I would be surprised if it wasn't in the N64 version!

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

If you look at the clipping in the editor, it looks like they auto generated it somehow. The only thing that goes against that is that their ceilings aren't clipped, nor are walls above a certain height that don't need to be, but at the same time the walls aren't nearly as optimized as they could be. Personally, I'm guessing it was auto generated but a little more intelligently than the convert options the editor has. I can't imagine some one doing it by hand or even just cleaning it up but leaving those useless floors clipped.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah every floor has clipping if you look through editor, but not sure why. I'm not certain how they clipped - in GE I believe tris were "tagged" in model somehow, and then automatically clipped - and if clipping failed, had to readjust architecture until it worked.

acceptable67

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I've been on those un-used floors w/ the gameshark. Although, once you stare out there, it's all black. But yes, they do have clipping.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

If you remove either of the elevator lifts, you can fall down the shaft and land on each floor. There isn't much to explore, but it's interesting to see you can actually walk there. I can't recall if any of the outside structure around the building has clipping, but there is the one small section in the exterior city where you can walk using Moon Jump.

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

acceptable67

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

On that red building. I guess you can walk about 10 feet. Still decent to actually have the privilege to go out there.

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wreck wrote:
If you remove either of the elevator lifts, you can fall down the shaft and land on each floor. There isn't much to explore, but it's interesting to see you can actually walk there. I can't recall if any of the outside structure around the building has clipping, but there is the one small section in the exterior city where you can walk using Moon Jump.

The walkway that runs around the bottom office floor has clipping. I've always wondered if that was intentionally put there, there's no other walkway like that on the building, there's that out of body shot of Joanna standing on it, and it would be the perfect way to bypass a locked door and get into the area with the office worker.

Kode-Z
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I also took a pic standing on the ledge outside:

Maybe at one time, the only way to get in the dD building on the harder difficulty setting was to break a window and go in that way. I guess we'll probably never know!

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

It's interesting to see how many of the fun exploits are left in the XBLA version, but I suppose there should be, considering most of the gameplay elements are directly ported.

I like what they've done with the moon, with the soft light projecting down on the buildings below. The surrounding city looks really cartoony, though.

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

PaRaDoX

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Kode-Z wrote:
I also took a pic standing on the ledge outside:

Maybe at one time, the only way to get in the dD building on the harder difficulty setting was to break a window and go in that way. I guess we'll probably never know!

Wouldn't it be epic to battle the hovercopter from there?You'd have to be extra careful cause first: you are dodging bullets and second: you'd have to be carefull not to fall off the building

acceptable67

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

BGS wrote:

Wouldn't it be epic to battle the hovercopter from there?You'd have to be extra careful cause first: you are dodging bullets and second: you'd have to be carefull not to fall off the building

If you fall, you will fall on the bottom floor, loosing no health my friend.

PaRaDoX

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

acceptable67 wrote:
BGS wrote:

If you fall, you will fall on the bottom floor, loosing no health my friend.

Yes I know that.I was just imagining IF they made the battle like I described

acceptable67

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Ah, np. =]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Perfect Dark All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: