ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Early N64 prototype controller board found

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Console Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
radorn

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:59 pm    Post subject: Early N64 prototype controller board found Reply with quote Back to top

http://agentperson.imgur.com/nintendo_controller/T7WJY

Notice how the now 4 directional C buttons were CDEF at that point, and Z was G.
Guess they decided that having the whole abecedary in the controller was not a very good idea xD.

Also notice the mirrored controller expansion slot in a wider fashion marked as CONNECTOR4 in the board.

CONNECTOR1, 3 pins, surely for cable to console.
CONNECTOR2, 9 pins, surely for internal connection to analog stick.
CONNECTOR3, 34 pins, "expansion" (controller pak, rumble pak, gameboy pak, and some uncommon, japan only, ones)
CONNECTOR4, 32 pin... mystery port with strange shape drawn onboard. Seems a mirror of the usual expansion port.

source: http://www.assemblergames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27537

Can you imagine yourself playing an actual game with it? xD

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thank the heavens that we didn't up with something as plain and uninspired as that. I know there are a lot of people who thought that the N64 controller was weird and awkward, but I firmly believe that it helped to make the console stand out. Just try to play some of the emulated games with any other pad. It just doesn't feel right. The N64 joystick is still one of my favourites.

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

radorn

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

heh, well, it's not like they thought of selling that at any point. These are typically prototypes for early hardware development.
They may be test builds for trying what features to include, used as a workbench for testing the correct working of the components (the chipset of the controller, resistors, capacitors, transistors and all other "tors"), they may include some lets and debug ports and whatever.
They may sometimes be shipped with early development kits if the final hardware is not yet ready or too expensive because of the production line not being finished or optimized... They may even be used for press showcases.

All possibilities are there, but rest assured that these were at no point considered for production, nor anything remotelly similar, they are, say, internal alphas and betas.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Console Workshop All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: