ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

New trailer (not that new any longer xD)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> James Bond Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I can't seem to get this site to work properly on this computer, so I may have to wait a few more days to check it out. Thanks for sharing the link. It seems as though they've made some updates to the main page, but aside from that, I can't get anything else to load.

Xenia is a blonde? Well, they did decide to make Bond a blonde, so why not do the same thing with her? Supposedly they have more fun. I just can't imagine what she'd be like having more fun...

Sort of on-and-off topic:
Just check out some of the makeovers Rare did on the PD characters for the XBLA update. They had full rights to replicate them down to a T, but they chose instead to revamp most of them completely. And the majority of them? Worse.

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

PacmanPlush
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wreck wrote:
Sort of on-and-off topic:
Just check out some of the makeovers Rare did on the PD characters for the XBLA update. They had full rights to replicate them down to a T, but they chose instead to revamp most of them completely. And the majority of them? Worse.

There's no question that many of the characters look "off," but I do wonder whether there's a good reason for that. In the XBLA version, Joanna looks much more like she did in the highpoly renders Rare made to promote the N64 original- we can assume that this was always what she was meant to look like.

I can't recall ever seeing concept art for PD's characters, but I have to wonder whether characters like Trent and Cassandra only had their distinctive look because of the limitations of the N64. Perhaps their "new" look is what they were always meant to look like. This would also explain the differences in the uniforms and helmets the dD soldiers wear.

Besides, I have to give them a pass for A) Bringing back Ken Lobb, and B) Having him do the same scowl he's done since GoldenEye. Laughing

As far as Xenia goes, it's not just that's she's blonde now. In the movie, Xenia really had a sense of danger about her. I'm not sure how to describe it- behind the makeup and the sweet smile, you really got a sense that she's a very disturbed person. But when I look at this:

I don't get it. It's not enough to call her "the definition of femme fatale," she has to look the part. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe when I play the game, it'll all make sense. Honestly, I hope so, but I'm not feeling too confident of that.

Besides, the stereotypical "femme fatale" is, more or less, a dark haired woman in a red dress. You know- like what Xenia wore in the car chase in the movie? The first outfit we see her in? Yeah, there was a reason for that. We tend to pick up on little things like this. When you first see her, you know she's trouble. They don't have a character tell us who she is or what she does until much later- but we already have an idea that she won't turn out to be one of the good guys!

(By the way, I can upload the rest of the characters if you can't get the site working.)

radorn

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The site doesn't work for me either. I can load it, and see the dam, but none of the buttons seem do do anything.

By the way, have you all noticed the small goldeneye satellite behind the first watchtower? xD

PacmanPlush
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

radorn wrote:
The site doesn't work for me either. I can load it, and see the dam, but none of the buttons seem do do anything.

By the way, have you all noticed the small goldeneye satellite behind the first watchtower? xD

Yep, the satellites are part of a little game, click it and you'll pick it up. There are four others, one is hidden in the Facility bathroom and there's another in the main part of the Facility, in the shadows above a window. By finding hidden objects and solving puzzles you unlock achievements. Some of these give you info about the bonus characters and some downloadable goodies, I think.

Here are the character dossiers:

These are the special characters, you unlock their dossiers by collecting objects on the main page- Oddjob's hat, Jaws' teeth, etc. I have yet to find Scaramanga's Golden Gun, I'll post his dossier once I have it.

Although they list his facial scar as a "defining characteristic," their Blofeld is based off his appearance in Diamonds are Forever, where he had no scar.

The "iconic" Blofeld appearance, with the scar, is of course from You Only Live Twice.

Why they chose the DAF appearance is a mystery- it's clear from their description they intended to use the one from YOLT, as they should have! His look in YOLT is far more recognizable, referenced in pop culture with characters such as Dr. Evil.

And here's a group shot. There are three "Classified" characters, I think they are additional special characters who have yet to be revealed.

The second is almost certainly Dr. No, the white suit and bald head are pretty recognizable. Also, along with Rosa Klebb and Red Grant, Dr. No has been confirmed as appearing in the game.

This means the third is probably Red Grant, who does have blond hair. So the first must be Rosa Klebb, but I don't know... my first impression was that it was Commander Talbot from The Spy Who Loved Me, who you can see here.

http://www.jamesbondmm.co.uk/bond-allies/bryan-marshall?id=001

I doubt it's him, he's a pretty obscure character. Also, he's a good guy, not a villian like the rest of the special characters. But he's the only character I can think of of with shoulder boards (I can barely make them out, could be mistaken) and hair in that style. It really doesn't look too much like Klebb, though. You can see her here:

http://www.cedmagic.com/featured/007/frwl-1-0912-rosa-klebb.html

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for sharing the pictures with us, Pacs. Smile

Now, I find this really sad. The classic villains look absolutely fantastic. They really look dead-on to the original actors. But the new versions of the characters in GoldenEye? None of them even slightly resemble the actors who portrayed them in the film. I do understand that this is supposed to be different, so we should just try to discard any and all preconceived notions as to what people should look like. Perhaps we're also to do the same with the weapons, gadgets, levels, music, and menus? Wow, talk about a remake that flips everything on its head...

And you're absolutely right about the new Xenia. Nothing seemingly intimidating about her at all. Famke Janssen was just pure untamed and sexy. This girl? Not quite sure I'm willing to put her into the same category.

radorn

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

these zukovsky and mishkin are a joke.

Ryani
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Terrible... i had completely accepted that this was not a new version of the Goldeneye N64 game, but a game based on the movie with homage to the game... but... they've even butchered the movie and the characters!

Only Judi-let's-voiceact-every-videogame-because-I-need-the-cash-Dench is able to play her role, but apparently the rest just cost waaaaay too much.

There is only one character's actor who has the excuse of NOT being in this game, and we all know who that is (RIP btw). I can forgive Nintendo for remaking a game, but butchering the best movie I have ever seen... and I bet it's just to save money.

But at least Baron Samedi actually looks like Baron Samedi now. And I'm pretty sure those characters are Rosa and Grant, the book portrayed her as a the uniform-wearing type. You know, I reckon the guy from The Living Daylights should be in a game someday. I forget his name, dun even think it was ever spoken o.o

(Not the guy who played Wade, his blonde assistant who strangled people).

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I think this game requires us to forget about GoldenEye altogether. Which is absolutely retarded, as they keep referring to the original game in almost every trailer. Seriously, if they've gone to this much trouble to change so much about GoldenEye, why not just make a new story from scratch, ala Blood Stone? Well, we all already know the answer to that.

"Let's make a new GoldenEye game! It'll be nothing like the original, and practically everything in it will look totally different, but it'll still be GoldenEye. Only now, the story will be altered, you'll be playing as as different Bond, and the music will be brand new. It's going to be just like the old one... but not!" Confused

Suck off.

EternallyAries

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
Posted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:14 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think this game requires us to forget about GoldenEye altogether. Which is absolutely retarded, as they keep referring to the original game in almost every trailer. Seriously, if they've gone to this much trouble to change so much about GoldenEye, why not just make a new story from scratch, ala Blood Stone? Well, we all already know the answer to that.

"Let's make a new GoldenEye game! It'll be nothing like the original, and practically everything in it will look totally different, but it'll still be GoldenEye. Only now, the story will be altered, you'll be playing as as different Bond, and the music will be brand new. It's going to be just like the old one... but not!"

Suck off.

I got to agree with Wreck this game is nowhar close to the Goldeneye on N64.

I hate how the character looks but if you think abowt it. Sents thay change bond why not change all the other character sents bond have ben change.

Now the online and muti and 1 player mode looks so much fun to play thats one of the resen this game is going to sell. And its going to be the best shooter on wii to.

And the other thing is grafects thats the next thing this game going to sell. I mean when do thay ever put a shooter that looks fun but sucks this may be the only shooter im going to enjoy on wii.

Yurei
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The second lcked character looks like Scaramange to me. The third might be Goldfinger and the first... I have no single clue.

These are looking pretty bad, yet they make the game looking decent for a Wii game.

PacmanPlush
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yurei wrote:
The second lcked character looks like Scaramange to me. The third might be Goldfinger and the first... I have no single clue.

Scaramanga's been revealed, he's beside Oddjob in the second row. His name shows as "Locked" because I haven't found his bio. The guy in the white on the bottom row is most likely Dr. No.

Ryani wrote:
There is only one character's actor who has the excuse of NOT being in this game, and we all know who that is (RIP btw). I can forgive Nintendo for remaking a game, but butchering the best movie I have ever seen... and I bet it's just to save money.

Is it, though? Rare apparently had free reign to use characters and concepts from the entire film series, not just GoldenEye. If they had to pay extra for the rights to the actors' likenesses, would they have bothered including Jaws, Oddjob, Baron Samedi, and Mayday? How about the Aztec and Egypt missions? The Bond license was expensive enough to begin with, especially for a game that wasn't expected to do as well as it did.

Even in TWINE, there were a number of bonus characters who came from other movies- Jaws, Max Zorin, Oddjob, maybe a couple others I've forgotten. The rest of EA's games had classic characters, too, such as Pussy Galore and Goldfinger.

Now, unless things have changed, it always seemed to me that when you license the Bond franchise, you can use everything- even plots, characters and gadgets from other films.

This really does make me wonder, though...

Ryani wrote:
You know, I reckon the guy from The Living Daylights should be in a game someday. I forget his name, dun even think it was ever spoken o.o

(Not the guy who played Wade, his blonde assistant who strangled people).

His name was Necros, but I think it only appeared in the credits. If they're going to have cheats in this game, his explosive milk bottles would make a fun bonus weapon. And if he was a multiplayer character, The Pretenders' "Where Has Everybody Gone?" should play through the Wiimote speaker of the player who chose him. Laughing

Wreck wrote:
"Let's make a new GoldenEye game! It'll be nothing like the original, and practically everything in it will look totally different, but it'll still be GoldenEye. Only now, the story will be altered, you'll be playing as as different Bond, and the music will be brand new. It's going to be just like the old one... but not!" Confused

Yeah, when they first announced it as a GoldenEye remake, rather than a completely new game that shared its name like Rogue Agent, I was pretty excited. Then the screenshots came out, and they looked like a mix between the game and the movie, using recognizable locales from both. I thought that was pretty cool, too... a new experience with a familiar feeling. Smile

Now we've seen the characters, and I'm really wondering how close this is to "GoldenEye in name only." You can only go so far before it isn't GoldenEye anymore.

Does it weird anyone else out that the bad guys are still Russian? With all this modernization they're doing, you'd think they'd have changed that, too. I mean, the films haven't had Russians as enemies since GoldenEye, and this made sense because they were, to paraphrase M., "relics of the Cold War," much like Bond. Well, the Cold War's been over for almost two decades and no one is scared of the Russians anymore. I assume the game takes place in 2010, so it's just strange. Confused

Tvirus676
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

PacmanPlush wrote:

Does it weird anyone else out that the bad guys are still Russian? With all this modernization they're doing, you'd think they'd have changed that, too. I mean, the films haven't had Russians as enemies since GoldenEye, and this made sense because they were, to paraphrase M., "relics of the Cold War," much like Bond. Well, the Cold War's been over for almost two decades and no one is scared of the Russians anymore. I assume the game takes place in 2010, so it's just strange. Confused

Know what's really funny? I read somewhere an interview with the plot writer of the game, and he says exactly the same as you, and also that the "Lienz Cussack" and "ex-KGB" things will be changed in the plot... now I'm ALL confused since it does not match to what those character files say, it's pretty weird (althrough that mistake in Blofeld's file is even worse, so confusing).

Ryani
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I wasn't talking about character concepts, I was talking voice actors. Even in Rogue Agent, the only real voiceactor was Dench. She just plays everything M-VGM related. Apparently she doesn't make enough from the movie franchise.

I bet if Nintendo had tried they could have gotten the original actors. I mean, as far as I know only Brosnan doesn't wish to be affiliated with Bond anymore. They just won't try. They don't want to pay these actors so they're hiring cheaper ones.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Ryani: I don't know why you keep knocking Dame Judi Dench. I, for one, think it's awesome that she continues to portray the role of M, even in the video game world. The woman is a terrific actress, who is often nominated for many different awards (Emmy, Golden Globe, Oscar). I highly doubt she's doing it just for the money. Heck, I can't even see them being paid all that much for it, anyway. I believe she just loves the character, and enjoys playing it as often as she can. For that, she gets my seal of approval.

Who would I like to see included in the game (or any other Bond game, for that matter)? Max Zorin, the psychotic entrepreneur portrayed by Christopher Walken. Hell, everytime you kill somebody with him in multiplayer, he could do his insane laugh. Razz

*edited: correction to Zorin spelling

Last edited by Wreck on Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

PacmanPlush
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Ryani wrote:
I wasn't talking about character concepts, I was talking voice actors. Even in Rogue Agent, the only real voiceactor was Dench. She just plays everything M-VGM related. Apparently she doesn't make enough from the movie franchise.

I bet if Nintendo had tried they could have gotten the original actors. I mean, as far as I know only Brosnan doesn't wish to be affiliated with Bond anymore. They just won't try. They don't want to pay these actors so they're hiring cheaper ones.

Ah, I misunderstood you. Embarassed Still, if they wanted to use the original actors, but were too cheap to get them, they could have used their likenesses and used impersonators for the voices, like EA did for their earlier Bond games. As it is, these characters don't look or sound like their original actors, and I understand why now.

Tvirus676 wrote:
Know what's really funny? I read somewhere an interview with the plot writer of the game, and he says exactly the same as you, and also that the "Lienz Cussack" and "ex-KGB" things will be changed in the plot... now I'm ALL confused since it does not match to what those character files say, it's pretty weird (althrough that mistake in Blofeld's file is even worse, so confusing).

I had completely missed this interview, but it really does clear up a lot of the confusion. Basically the characters' backgrounds have been completely rewritten. So Valentin isn't an ex-KGB agent anymore, he's strictly a nightclub owner with apparent ties to the Russian mob. This is exactly what the redesigned Valentin looks like. As Tvirus points out, the character bios aren't at all connected to what role the characters really play in the remake.

I still don't like the new characters, but I definitely get what they were going for now. I hope they update the site with the real bios soon.

Wreck wrote:
Ryani: I don't know why you keep knocking Dame Judi Dench. I, for one, think it's awesome that she continues to portray the role of M, even in the video game world. The woman is a terrific actress, who is often nominated for many different awards (Emmy, Golden Globe, Oscar). I highly doubt she's doing it just for the money. Heck, I can't even see them being paid all that much for it, anyway. I believe she just loves the character, and enjoys playing it as often as she can. For that, she gets my seal of approval.

Who would I like to see included in the game (or any other Bond game, for that matter)? Max Zorin, the psychotic entrepreneur portrayed by Christopher Walken. Hell, everytime you kill somebody with him in multiplayer, he could do his insane laugh. Razz

Agreed. I have a lot of respect for both Judi Dench and Daniel Craig for reprising their roles in the games. I've read that Craig actually had to contact Activision himself and ask whether he could do Bond in the QoS game. And let's be honest, after you do something like that, you're not going to demand a lot of money for the part. Smile

Zorin was definitely in the N64 version of TWINE. Granted, the game wasn't very good, but still. As a psychopath, he had 200 hit points when played by the AI, double that of most other characters. He didn't laugh, though. Sad He may have been in a few other games, too- I can't recall. He was my preferred character because, you know, Christopher Walken. Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> James Bond Games All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: