ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Martin Hollis hates Wii GE
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> James Bond Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fantsu

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:19 am    Post subject: Martin Hollis hates Wii GE Reply with quote Back to top

Martin Hollis, one of the developers of original GE said in the interview that the new Goldeneye 007 is going to be a bad game. Activision is publishing the game to just make money with the name he said.

It kinda feels bad if even one of the original developers hate the game already...

Quote:
The designer of the N64 version of GoldenEye 007 has attacked Activision bosses over the company's decision to revive the game for Wii.

In an interview with ONM, Martin Hollis told of his belief that the plan to reimagine his classic shooter was motivated by profits rather than a passion for the original game.

"I imagine it is a business decision," Hollis told the magazine during an exclsuive interview about the making of GoldenEye 64. "This name is valuable, let's use it. I find it hard to picture Activision's top management being excited about the original and wanting to do it justice.

"In fact, I find it hard to imagine them being excited about any game. It's my perception that they are trying to be EA, only more so. I think they are doing a fine job at that."

Yet Hollis did have some kind words for Eurocom, the developers of the Wii version of GoldenEye 007. "I know and like Eurocom," said the ex-Rare employee. "I think they are a good company. I'm confident they have done their very best." Earlier this week, Eurocom claimed that the game will blow away all other Wii first person shooters.

Marin Hollis' last Wii game was Bonsai Barber.

You can read about the making of GoldenEye 007 N64 in the new issue of Official Nintendo Magazine which goes on sale on Monday 6 September.

source - computerandvideogames.com

Found also on many other sites like as:
http://www.wiihacks.com/wiihacks-member-submitted-news/66606-n64-goldeneye-dev-attacks-activision.html

and

http://www.i4u.com/38813/original-n64-goldeneye-designer-attacks-activision-remake

Sad

EternallyAries

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Dang i cant beleve that Martin Hollis sed that to the Activision.

Looks like its time for Activision to lisen to Martin Hollis.

HackBond

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

ALL HAIL MARTIN HOLLIS.

[Decoy] Antenna | Control | Silo | Escape

acceptable67

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Spyster wrote:
ALL HAIL MARTIN HOLLIS.

Kode-Z
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

About time someone offical spoke up...

Don't think that the gaming industry would listen though - especially Nintendo!

radorn

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

heh, you might have missed, but pacmanplush already mentioned this, although from a different source.

http://www.shootersforever.com/forums_message_boards/viewtopic.php?p=42799#42799

anyway, he's not saying anything I didn't know, but it's definitelly great to see the mastermind behind the classic say what he thinks of this pretentious crap.

If they hadn't pretended this to have anything to do with the original, nobody would have critizised them, but no, not only did they make a second goldeneye, but they also pretended it to be a remake of the famous classic, so they deserve all the bashing they can get.
THey have called this upon themselves.

EDIT: I'm not sure where this thread should go. For a part, it involves martin hollis, so it has to do with the original goldeneye, but he's talking about wii's ge, so it probably fits more in the wii ge forum...

fantsu

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

radorn wrote:
EDIT: I'm not sure where this thread should go. For a part, it involves martin hollis, so it has to do with the original goldeneye, but he's talking about wii's ge, so it probably fits more in the wii ge forum...

True, sorry about this, didn't remember that Wii GE had its own forum here...
still getting used to the new layout.
Laughing Laughing Laughing

radorn

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

don't worry, forums will probably end up merged like pd and pd xbla a little after the release of the game when it becomes evident the game ain't no good Very Happy.
until it gets moved (if it is), maybe you could edit the thread's title with a [Wii] at the start Wink

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I see dollar signs in Activision's future. Crying or Very sad

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

PacmanPlush
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Martin Hollis hates Wii GE Reply with quote Back to top

fantsu wrote:
Martin Hollis, one of the developers of original GE said in the interview that the new Goldeneye 007 is going to be a bad game. Activision is publishing the game to just make money with the name he said.

It kinda feels bad if even one of the original developers hate the game already...

Don't know what it says about me, but I had a completely different reaction to this. I read it as more of a "take that" against Activision, not that he hates the game- though he's obviously not pleased with the direction they're taking it, or the fact that they're even making it to begin with.

Anyone who reads Kotaku and similar sites on a regular basis will be familiar with Bobby Kotick, head of Activision, who is famously quoted as saying he wants to "take the fun out of making video games." Obviously GE Wii is a business decision, pure and simple. And no, it won't be very faithful to the original. But we can't overlook this part of the quote:

Quote:
Yet Hollis did have some kind words for Eurocom, the developers of the Wii version of GoldenEye 007. "I know and like Eurocom," said the ex-Rare employee. "I think they are a good company. I'm confident they have done their very best."

Now, it's clear Martin wasn't sugarcoating his responses in this interview- he no doubt burned a few bridges with what he said about Activision. If he really didn't feel this way about Eurocom, he wouldn't have said it. I think he feels like some of us do- it won't be anything like the original, except for the basic plot and some similar level design. But that's a lot more than we can say for Rogue Agent, and, as Martin points out, it's being made by some talented people. Despite all their missteps, it still has the potential to be a fun game on its own merits. Won't hold a candle to the original, of course- as both a Bond game and a video game in general. But let's be honest- there's a lot of really bad FPSs out there. Personally, I don't think this will be one of them. But, by the same token, it'll never be regarded as a classic.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I can't even think of too many "classic" FPS games that have come out, especially on console. These are about the only big names that pop into my head...

Wolfenstein
Doom
Duke Nukem
GoldenEye
Perfect Dark
Unreal
Halo
Half-Life
Call of Duty

I wouldn't refer to many of those as "classics" myself, but each one has its own cult following, who would defend it to the death. If one of those affects someone else the same way that we feel about GoldenEye, than I guess it deserves to be up there. But, as you said, there a far more bad FPS games than there are good.

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wreck wrote:
I can't even think of too many "classic" FPS games that have come out, especially on console. These are about the only big names that pop into my head...

Wolfenstein
Doom
Duke Nukem
GoldenEye
Perfect Dark
Unreal
Halo
Half-Life
Call of Duty

You forgot Quake. (And Quake II, which is a separate game/series according to some fans of the original.) Marathon fans are pretty unrelenting, too.

PacmanPlush
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wreck wrote:

Wolfenstein
Doom
Duke Nukem
GoldenEye
Perfect Dark
Unreal
Halo
Half-Life
Call of Duty

Great list, but you don't mind if we add to it, do you? Smile I'd add the Quake series (a personal favourite- thanks for thinking of it, Dragonsbrethren), Thief, System Shock 2, Deus Ex, and Counter-Strike. (Sure, it started life as a Half-Life mod, but it's become so much more.) We can also expand Halo, Half-Life and Call of Duty to encompass the entire series, as each game has added more to the FPS formula.

(Marathon is definitely up there, if not just for its place in Mac gaming history.)

What I think makes these games classics isn't just that they're great FPSes, they are some of the best in their respective categories- the Quake games are some of the best fast-action shooters ever made, SS2 and Deus Ex are widely-loved early examples of FPS-RPGs, and still have many great features that haven't been seen since their release. Thief, along with MGS, helped shape the stealth genre. CS more or less popularized the "pseudotactical shooter," without it, there'd be no Call of Duty.

If we want to throw in "cult classics" and "classics in the making," these are a few of my choices. Although higly regarded, they've either been overshadowed by bigger titles (as happened to TimeSplitters and Riddick) or are just plain obscure (Breakdown, S.T.A.L.K.E.R.)

-Bioshock:
Spiritual successor to System Shock 2, it's much more widely known and will most likely take SS2's place in the gaming hall of fame.

-Breakdown:
Obscure Japanese First Person Punching Game, it redefines what "immersion" means for FPS games. Personally, I feel no other game has ever come as close to putting you inside the character's head.

-Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay:
Easily one of the best licensed games ever made, it captures prison life better than most movies. Buying illicit drugs, making deals with crooked guards, and shanking snitches are just a few of the things you'll do to escape.

-Metroid Prime:
Something of a rebirth for the classic series, the first two are some of the best GameCube titles, and the third helped shape FPSes on the Wii.

-No One Lives Forever:
Brighter and more colourful than most Mario games, has some of the best enemy dialogue ever written. One of the few games that really does humour well.

-Painkiller/Serious Sam:
May very well be the last major Doom-style secret-centric FPS games. Both have small but dedicated fanbases.

-S.T.A.L.K.E.R.:
Deus Ex meets Fallout, this series strives for realism in every aspect. Far Cry 2 couldn’t come close to it.

-TimeSplitters 2 & 3:
The last big Rare FPS-style games we’ll probably ever get, until the (possible) release of TimeSplitters 4. Huge amounts of replay value, TS’s Arcade Mode (itself an extension of Perfect Dark's challenges) probably inspired the "revolutionary" Horde and Spec Ops modes from Gears 2 and MW2, respectively.

I'm tempted to include some more recent games like Mirror's Edge and Borderlands, but neither one felt like an instant classic- maybe several years down the line they'll be considered some of the greats.

HackBond

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I have Serious Sam, all it is is Run and Gun like Doom, epic gameplay.

[Decoy] Antenna | Control | Silo | Escape

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

You mention quite a few other games that I didn't think of, especially Quake. I guess the list could just keep growing and growing, but then we'd only be compiling a complete list of FPS titles, not just those who have legions of loyal fans and have triumphed over the test of time.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> James Bond Games All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: