ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

[Map] Cradle - November 7th, 2010
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye X
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

It did add a lot to the background, but I'm not sure how much of a bite it'll take out of the overall performance. I do agree that it looks great, it's just the potential slowdown that makes me think of not utilizing it.

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I'd prefer we use all the original levels instead of these "enhancements", other then only the most minor of things.

armymen12002003
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wreck wrote:
Well, I thought this looked fun enough to share...

(the sky has since been corrected)

I hope we can work out the kinks in this map, as it has some decent potential. I would think that PD should be able to handle it a little better than GE, but only time will tell.

lol wreck an alien on the cradel could it be possible 006 was in with the u.s. goverment at area 51?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Trevor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I suppose the bg mod could be a 'later' enhancement therefor making it optional.

I also know theres no way to make an ingame option for it so Im not even going to suggest it. ...Though the idea is nice *thinks/dreams about idea - background on, background off, background on... Laughing*... ...

Trev

P.S. Portal-less? why didnt rare make it portal-less themselves then, or have I mis-understood?

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Portals: Every level that has more than one room contains portals. These act as windows between rooms, allowing players to see into the next area. Cradle, however, was different. They didn't setup any portals in the stage, but were able to load the entire stage at once. This does still work in PD, but there are some serious drawbacks. Anything fired from one room into another, won't make contact with the architecture. Bullets, mines, rockets, and other projectiles, fall through the map. The other issue is with clipping. It seems, though I do need to test, that without the portals, PD has a hard time knowing the connections between walkable areas. You just fall through the floor to your death. I have to try and add portals to the stage, which hopefully will correct these problems.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Well, I have some good news regarding the Cradle...

I decided to start adding portals in between each connecting room. During my testing, I didn't fall out of the map even once. This is a massive improvement already, considering how often I would end up dying from just running around. These portals do need size tweaking, and many more will need to be created all over the place. It's going to be a balance of portals and visibility, but progress is being made.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Hate to double-post, but I feel it is necessary.

After messing around with the visibility data for the map, the stage seems to be appearing properly. I also haven't fallen through the floors, so that should no longer be an issue. The cool - and rather unexpected - thing is, bullets and other projectiles make contact with the architecture through room gaps that have no actual portals. You might remember grenades flying through the machinery room roofs in GoldenEye. Well, that doesn't happen here. You can fire a rocket from one end of the level to the other, and it'll explode on any structure it hits. This is excellent news, and furthers my interest in finishing up the VR setup for the Cradle. If everything goes smoothly, this should make it into the 3rd release. Very Happy

EternallyAries

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Well done Wreck.

I got to say i cant wait to see some screen shots on that level.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

You're in luck, Aries! Razz
I just added a screenshot of the map being played in 2-Player mode to the first post. I'll either be working on the clipping for this tomorrow, or for another level. It should be interesting to see how Simulants navigate the structure when I get around to that part. I may need to prevent them from seeing through the railings, or even make them taller in their eyes, so that they won't destroy you from across the stage in the blink of an eye.

Trevor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Dont the gaurds have a 'visability limit'?
I cant remember cradel (The last time I played I was invisable Smile)
but I rememer Surface II where they come right into view, from the fog, before opening fire - compared to Surface I where the snipers can get you right accross the level (Well at least 1/2 a level away)

Couldnt this be done (unless its controled by fog...)

Still, it'd be an interesting challenge to complete the last story level where the AI can see you anywhere.

While Im on the subject of cradel, I wounder how DFAnk? got the background? Was it custom made or taken from real sources.

The reason for my question was I took cradel and took a download of the Accreibo Observatory and tried to merge them (Once I relaised the model was a 'stick' image...) Cradel was MASSIVE, once I scaled it it was still out of proportions...
The legs are too long, one in life is also shorter than the rest due to being further up the hill.
Only One access way to cradel (Though I prefer the GE access)
The cradel itself is smaller and thinner (looking from X/Z-Y plane)
The GE Cradel defies gravity and rises to the middle Laughing

Trev

SATURN_81
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

fantastic as this being Wreck this level, is more fluid and smoother than in goldeneye, I'm looking forward to playing. this level for a multiplayer match is perfect, but they tell me to play King of the Hill? anyone at this level is visible from any angle, but I worry if sims see through the railings we can do to defend ourselves and our sims enemies flee?
Wreck certainly send him a few days ago a gameshark code in a PM to see how it was.

EternallyAries

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wow that looks like the full port of the game into PD i mean it looks like you got the sky in just perfect and the level looks great too.

Now the sims shooting over the railing can be a problem if they can shoot you a mile away.

It wud be a good idea to to put a sim in there and put a gun on top of him and give it a shot and see if he can shoot you far away.

And if he can im going to say go with your idea and put a clipping on the side of the railing and make it in to a very big wall so the sims wont shoot you thu it.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I was able to take some time and start clipping the walls in Cradle. So far, I've been concentrating on the physical buildings, and not the railings. Those will be coming up next. I just have to decide on how they will be dealt with. I can make them "transparent" tiles, where the Simulants (and other character AI) can see through and over them. If that doesn't work out very well for the player(s), I can switch the type. And if that isn't good enough, I can add more height to the rail tiles. With each adjustment, it takes time, especially if I need to raise the height. Finishing up the main clipping and testing it out is about the only way to know what will be necessary.

Trevor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I still think there should be some sort of visibility distance somewhere (Zoinkity/Sub?)
Adding Opaque Clipping to an engine that allowed AI to see over railings and therefore having the effect in GE where the guards needed to turn the corner to shoot you (whilst you are there) is a bit silly.

Trev

00action
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

This is great news wreck, i look forward to playing in this level with sims Very Happy
https://www.twitch.tv/00action

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye X All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: