ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

GE Surface 2 [FUTURE] improvements?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye X
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oldyz

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:23 am    Post subject: GE Surface 2 [FUTURE] improvements? Reply with quote Back to top

Well for objectives not much changes i can think of -

But If there is any level where Night Vision would come in handy -

It is the night time surface.

Here is a map:

Of about how much visibility there should be.
Darker areas are complete darkness -
So first thing in the level would be for the players to use the night vision -

the Light areas it is obvious the visibility.

Snipers at the "stations" should be able to see to certain distance and hit you.
Using some actual trees (the crash site dried things) to take cover from snipers should also happen, and most of the trees should be at the edges of the map to make the Old wallpaper trees sections a little more real.

if the Binoculars from PD remain they can also be utilized (just as a bonus thing - really no use - they belong more in surface 1)

Here is the top pic of the map for any use you can find for discussing:
http://img815.imageshack.us/img815/690/zzsurfacemap100.jpg

This dark level is a good chance to use the PD halos of light and would look more dramatic - also a good place to blow them off and hide from enemies.

To make it a little more difficult the Key could be Randomized if its even possible.

Last edited by oldyz on Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:26 am; edited 1 time in total

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yes, I also had planned on including either Night Vision or IR Scanner in Surface ii. It's the only real night mission where they feel suited. You had plenty of time to prepare, and I'm sure Q wouldn't want you going out there blind. The binoculars would also be good in the first Surface, even though the Sniper Rifle already allows you to see further distances.

I would like to setup lighting inside of the cabins. Be it either a light switch on the wall next to the door, or a desk lamp. With either method, you could activate the corresponding object to turn the lights on and off.

Other lights could be added outside cabins, the satellite building, observatory, and the bunker entrance. It'd even be neat to have large poles with spotlights to lighten up certain areas, but that could be tricky when it comes to modifying the RGB of each tile.

Some trees would help fill out the level well, but I'd have to test to see how it'd effect the framerate. You can't see nearly as far in the second Surface, so it shouldn't take too big of a hit. It might slowdown the daytime version more, because you have a larger visual range. I've also thought about this, and do plan on trying it.

Another idea I had, was to include Night Vision as the Siberian Special Forces "sunglasses" - once I look at how they work. You could toggle them on, so these guys are ready to take you down in the dark.

You really seem to like randomized things, don't you? I don't think that it adds to the difficulty of a mission, but more to the frustration of the player. I like to know where the necessary items, especially keys, are located. It allows me to become accustomed to a certain route in which to take when playing the mission. This is especially important for achieving a set target time. It's the silly randomized things that get in the way of unlocking cheats, and breaking world record speedruns.

However, I do think the key should be in another cabin. A commandant in the same exact position held a key in the first Surface, so this is kind of repetitive. I'd rather have it farther away, like in the fenced in area. At least it would be different.

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

oldyz

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The desk lamps as small light sources is excellent - at least one should be on the dark cabins.

SURFACE 1 binoculars -
They will help in finding the nearest sniper so we can grab the sniper rifle.

MIssion duration -

surface 2 is a walk in the park with a piece of cake- i think its less than 4 minutes long -

this mission has the potential to have the most stealth of the game.
it really should be about 9 to 13 minutes long.

Stealth improvements -

the original silliness was that you destroy cameras, and even after destroying more than 2 , nobody becomes alarmed.

the camera objectives could have the change that there is a hub for them in one of the cabins - you must kill the operator of the hub for the cameras objective to be complete -
also maybe 2 cameras could be on the light poles.

And destroying cameras would have consequence -
for every camera you destroy - a repair-man on a snowmobile (hoverbike)
comes and checks things out. If anyone pick a fight with them - remember hoverbike battles where hard.
also a good excuse to use the grenade launcher (or was it in surface 1)

INfrared - night vision .

I was thinking of a especial infrared or night vision sniper rifle -
maybe by modification of the farsight OR the
same sniper rifle with this a secondary function
remember the default rifle is supposed to have meelee as secondary.

If both can be had would be even better - it would mean Some snipers are deadlier than others.

Speed Runs , cheat unlock, target time.
SPEED RUNS
We 6 do play for speed , random key should be no problem just like random Doctor Doak -
all you have to do is memorize the
shorter pattern and retry until the key appears in the short path.
speed runs take multiple tries anyway , so trying twice or trice is no problem , at least to me fumbles or Ollo.
TARGET TIMES
i don't think an enhanced GE should have the exact same target times for unlocking cheats as the original game had.
I have expectation of as much as 3 minutes more for some levels
Also - any random factors should be exclusive to 00 difficulty.
Since many of the target times are for lesser difficulty, randomness would not affect them.

Trevor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

hehe, its funny, I looked at the topic title and said to myself "oh no, not again..." but am quite plesed with some of the ideas presented.

One thing that bugs be is the random lights along the path. There isnt anywhere for them to go and just as with the trees making places for them might affect framerate (Id rather trees were present and lights on in cabins and structures (dish espesualy, I posted a shot ages ago from the movie))

The H should be lit up But remember any lights on in this level should be there in first too.

I like the idea of fenced area and this could have lamp poles on the fence.

About breaking up the tree-line, I used to have a great idea about puting up fencing every so often to keep you away from the 'wall', since it doesnt look as bad at a distance, and also to have places where the map would 'extrude out' (possibly forced perspective too) expesualy at the map start. After all, how do vehicles get there? (this would replace the dish at the beginning, or maybe extend it but baisicly the road would 'continue on')

I wouldnt mind building an obj (after my current project) for a later seperate mod - if not GEX.

Trev

Camaro
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Once again, these are great ideas, but the purpose of GE:X is to play classic Goldeneye on the improved Perfect Dark engine. I'm all for taking advantage of the new "toys" of the engine, such as improved AI, lighting, and weather, but making drastic changes or changing objectives changes the game and then it is no longer GOLDENEYE:X.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I'm not against new objective concepts or other alterations of mission setups, but they have a better chance of making it into a different version of GE:X. The main focus here is to try and maintain the same formula of the original, but adapt the various enhancements that the PD engine has to offer. There may be some small exceptions, but nothing too drastic. Many of the ideas I have could go completely unnoticed, unless the player is curious enough to play around.

I did think that replacing the vehicle models found in the Surface cabins with futuristic vehicles from PD would be a really nice touch. Small, fun things are perfectly acceptable. It's when the mission begins to change course that it may be going a bit too far.

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

oldyz

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

@Trevor - the lights will need posts - & Wreck mentiond bad sides
the fence idea is excellent - that way only the well lit places where you can actually see the trees in the darkness can have dry trees.
expanding the level with a path is also good, the level always looked weird, just make sure to put a closed wire fence or barricade to the "coming from"place.

@ Wreck, the daytime version can have less light poles and fences , since the bunker is still under construction, it makes sense for the surface to have less things- & remember they reinforced security because Bond went in before.
so the night time has to have more poles because they need more visibility.

I don't know , but in the level Nightime/infrared should be very critical-
especially since if all the lights go off -
the whole stage is completely or 95 % Dark.

@ Camaro, these posts are good for Brainstorming, and also for for any future hacker to even take things we share here and not only make the things happen, but also to even try and go beyond what is present.
Also think of this things in terms of
what Rareware could have done IF they had the new resources that PD posesses,
also remember that some things do not make it in games because of deadlines or other dumb reasons.

I wish i could reserve this for later, but at least this "level ideas posts" are separate from the main "level edit and progress posts"

i have no guarantee that ill get to even see the simple porting of GE to PD a more complete stage.
Internet access is one reason , life issues is another.
I also hate to reveal the ideas for the reason that in a way it spoils the surprises if i where to manage to get an actual patch made.
PS- the midi things i told you about are in other machine i have not been able to go and check.

@ Trevor & everyone -
you have my approval if you go ahead and change objectives, add things (never remove things is the preference) and make things harder.
The only things i have very little dislike is the small but currently nescesary removal of walls from Egyptian, ant the fact that we may never get a Tank-
Biggest dislike is the removal of the dizzy

Believe me that any addition changes are welcome.
i can't imagine of any other substractions anyone would like to see.....

Random Factors:

As Wreck said , i seem to like random Key objects -
There is another good reason why,
Cooperative mode - this way players are forced to separate and look for the objects at the different locations.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I think it's fun to read these ideas. I like the lamp idea. Great for GE:X once it's done, then can play with alternate versions of GE. I like reading these

Trevor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Awwwww crap..... I dont know which leg to stand on now.....

Ok, incase you read my last post in the other thread then Im going to change it slightly here....

Yes its good to have these post to discuss 'future' changes and thankfully you have made them sepereate threads Smile.
I suppose my problem is Some of these suggestions I like then take too far with my own and forget we're taliking about GEX here...

Trev

Camaro
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

After reading what I wrote again I feel like I came off in a negative way, which is not what I was trying to do. I do really like the ideas, it's fun to come up with all these possible changes, I just thought that you (oldyz) were hoping to see these changes in GE:X. Like Sub said in his post in the Runway improvement thread, "GE:X will be authentic! Then we can have fun"

oldyz

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Ok Fumbles has suggested i title the threads different.

Yes Camaro, i wish to see some changes on the GEX,
any changes the sooner the better since i feel like i'm running out of time.

BUT I am very aware priority #1 is:

A- recreate levels
B- re-create original objectives
C- re-create original "Boss" behaviors

after those are done, here is what i want you all to consider-
Improve the levels, objectives, behaviors.

Then A contest of some kind can be made , to see which
"Super Surface 2" "Super runway" etc- will be included to a GE X especial edition or "Super Goldeneye" -this is tribute to the super games in the snes era.

Also the threads can serve for the purpose of finding alternative objectives suggestions in case a technical difficulty gets in the way for the original content to be re-created.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye X All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: