ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

GE Jungle [FUTURE] improvements?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye X
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oldyz

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:51 am    Post subject: GE Jungle [FUTURE] improvements? Reply with quote Back to top

Just a few things:
ENEMy dangers
Snipers on top of the wooden structure. (they should fall like the chicago cop falls)
about 5 mines objects (area 51)
Better Xenia Onatopp
Danger of falling to the chasm

Point of no return

The original Xenia battle was pretty weak - just stand on the other side of the bridge- shoot her from far away.

This can be solved by making 2 things happen

half way trough the bridge - Bond sees Laser tripwires activating in both sides.
Bond and Natalya have to run to the other side of the bridge.
Bridge destroyed.
Xenia appears near the cave entrance - Big battle

A fighting chance-

You can lure Xenia to the edge of the chasm and make her fall - be careful , don't fall Bond.

Natalia Problems a thing of the past
i think with some modification
(Natalia in GE X is pretty much An elvis or "psychosis infected" soldier)
- Natalia can now be told what to do -
Just the way you can control your computer partner in perfect dark.

This way you can tell her to stand and wait in a safe place for the
enhanced Xenia battle if she gets too much in the way.

Graphic enhancements -
Sun near the wooden structure - (Trevor)
it peeks trough the transparent layers and creates additional difficulty with flares for killing the snipers.
Bits of rain mentioned -
I think the "wallpaper" of jungle trees has to be fixed with a multilayer of wall papers that have transparent sections.
about 4 layers should do to create an effect that heavy jungle is behind the level's limits.

Multiplayer COOP -
Natalia as player 2

Technical difficulties:

There seems to be no way to enable Different Weapon double wielding
(grenade launcher plus i can't remember)
like in original Goldeneye.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

OMG, it never ends... Razz

Guard tower: As Zoinkity has once done before, a ladder will be placed at the tower. It will allow players to climb up and take a good look around. Whether or not a sniper will be up there, I don't know. The drone gun may already be a big enough threat as it is.

Chasm death: I hadn't really planned on having any other places in GoldenEye act as death pits. It just doesn't really feel right, to me. There may also be an issue of other characters falling down it, such as Natalya. That would suck, really bad.

Xenia difficulty: You won't be able to use the trick of staying on the other side of the bridge while blasting her with your AR33. She'll be able to see you, and attack across the chasm. There is no easy escape this time.

Natalya: I don't think you can control a mission partner, can you? I mean, can you assign controls to Elvis in Attack Ship? She isn't acting as a "buddy" who spawns in to help, but as someone created from a character block.

Tree line: You want the tree line to repeat behind itself multiple times in order to make the brush seem thicker? The more you add to the background file, the more there is to load. There is already a ton of objects that push the framerate, and I imagine multiplayer (or at least coop / counter-op) will push it even further. I don't think adding more layers of tree line will do it any favours.

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

oldyz

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

i will have to check , but i think Psychosis soldiers have controls.

Adding controls to Natalia would be best if the Point of no return thing and deadly chasms are made.
This also would help improve the ugly relationship that players had with the original Natalia/elvis.

Personally i don't mind having the default chaos Natalia/Elvis and the chasm dangers and point of no return.
More challenge.

the Natalia controls hack i just mention for sake and sanity of standard players.
plus it would be a nice thing to have in some stages variations even.

about the trees i'm thinking of some parts, and a smaller walls of vegetations , not the whole of the existing.
i'll make a map of sorts with the idea.
the wallpaper is just terrible as it is.

About the falls - We 6 down here really like them , especially in multiplayer.
Players have enough sense to stay away from fall pits -
invisible forces protecting you from suicide seems weird
Also many Bond film villian deaths are falls

I do think the natalya bot problem is possible ,but that is more of a thing that can be known if it is tried.
maybe some Bushes and things blocking a portion of the bridge's entrance can guide the Bot correctly to the bridge -

remember that Xenia now appears near the cave , so Natalia is far away from the chasm-
the drone gun in the cave is easy to remember and can be destroyed from far away before Xenia appears -
Players just have to experience failure and take note to destroy the gun before she appears.

Trevor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Well, nice ideas however I dont think the wall will work... It will still look like a wall...

I have often thought about having no wall, but I also know there is no possibility of this due to the N64's lack of specs to start this sort of stuff...

Here is something though, in PD guards can be in prone position. this would be cool. (lying down)

Trev

fantsu

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Can the walls be taken away?

Maybe the wall can be just a lower bush and then you could see the backround more to make it more "open feel"?
Maybe some simple trees behind this bush so that you can see the treetops behind it?

Trevor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Would you mind expanding on your idea fantasu?

I am a little confused, by walls we are talking about the 'trees' painted on the flat mesh that surrounds the level, there is nothing past this so where does your background come in?

I just dont think the N64 can handel 'open-plan' forrestry.

Trev

fantsu

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

yes.
by "backround" I meant the green fog.
maybe there is no need for those high "walls" surrounding the level,
just a bit lower bushes to create illusion, that there is something further away (there isn't, only fog).
I was just thinking that maybe there is a way to make those "walls" behind (still pretty close) those lower bushes also, so that they don't look as solid as they look in GE.

Have anyone played the very first mission of Rainbow Six on N64?
It is an forested map (I think level two or three on PC) and it creates a bit better illusion of forest I think with quite simple way. not perfect of course, but still.

See the bad screenshot:
There is a road almost in front of you. You can't get through the bushes on either side and those "walls" are close to map limits, but just few steps away from the almost transparent layers surrounding the road.
Maybe it is quite tough to do, and I don't know if it affects the frames too much.

There is also other even more jungle themed map later in this game, and I think it was pretty nice (back at the times of course).

There is also video in YouTube from that level here. It is on PC, but looks the same. Sadly that guy uses night vision so it looks a bit different, but you will probably se my point here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHR45MPbi9g

oldyz

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Ah
getting closer yes
- still have not goten around to doing it -
but that rainbow 6 forest looks a bit more similar to what i think should happen in Jungle and surface 1 and 2

in words, picture that first wall with transparent gaps on it , through those gaps you can see Flat sprite mario 64 type Jungle trees that always face your direction -about 2 layers of those to create illusion of depth.
it does not have to be like that the whole forested section, but in enough places to be noticed.
SO the 2 layers the gaps and the green fog combine to create the impresion that there is space beyond the invisible walls.

Trevor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Ah yes, I see what your saying, however 2 problems,
1. GE/PD doesnt support sprites (It used to but were taken out, textures still there)
2. the more layers of walls the more the game has to calculate (In mesh) so therefor slower framerate. 2, like the R6 screen, would be ample however 4 may push it too hard. R6 doesnt look as good as GE/PD (probably less resolution etc) and thats how a lot of games overcame framerate issues.

Trev

P.S. having just a green BG would be actualy closterphobic or too empty (Depends on how you see it). Fog with nothing between you and infinity = solid wall/colour.

oldyz

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

There is still sprites left -

the Light halos or "coronas"

there is only 2 types the star ones and the cetan ship Ovals -
so far i see they can work as some sort of suspended leaves to be shown behind the wall sections that let you see trough - the bad news
the solution might get in the way of trying the same for the surface missions -
i picture the night time surface using both types of light coronas
(the posts with ovals ) small lighsts and lightbulbs the "Star" types.

last week i finally got to run PD with glide, and experimented with texture replacements - the corona texture can be replaced with anything and always faces your direction- if you get closer they can also become less transparent - a nice effect if you get close and try to see trough the wallpaper cavities.

This technique will probably only be used for the COop and Improved level pack patches-

to be able to use the sprites in GEX i think that the only way is to remove unused objects and turn them in to flat pics similar to the ones the lighs use.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye X All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: