ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Best input plugin for using Xbox 360 controller for N64 emu?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Online And Emulation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GE MASTER
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:08 pm    Post subject: Best input plugin for using Xbox 360 controller for N64 emu? Reply with quote Back to top

I'm hoping to put my pal who love dual analogues, against me, in GoldenEye. He would be using the typical Halo type setup I think. I'm just wondering who has tried out various settings to get an Xbox 360 working well on n64 emulators. Thanks!

stolen
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I would suggest using 2.4 Goodhead and bind controller 1 & 2 control sticks to each control stick on the 360.

For plugins? N-Rage 2.2 seems to be the best.

GE MASTER
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Cool. I will try this out tonight. I think my buddy is afraid of a vs. battle. He's talking about possible sensitivity being a possible issue. Sounds like excuses already!

GE MASTER
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

So far so good. Issue with the aimer. The input plugin does allow sensitivity setting galore. Any Halo player could eventually get the settings dialed into an exact feel.

I've had a long standing belief about dual stick vs n64. This is something that I'm very much wanting to bury. Which is superior? Maybe equal. I think the fact that it appears an equal platform can be used like this, it will make for some great banter. Either way if I'm wrong, I will take back all my previous posts and comments about the N64 controller for FPS!

GE MASTER
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Okay, this is getting good now. The best controller config in GE is 1.2. Then you make the scope the left thumbstick button. I tried the left trigger but it doesn't configure properly with the Xbox 360 controller. When scoped you couldn't shoot. With the Halo default, the thumbstick button, it's all good. You could use the left shoulder I suppose also. I've adjusted the look up/down and turn left/right sensitivities.

I will make this downloadable as a config file for those that want it.

oldyz

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

GE MASTER wrote:

I've had a long standing belief about dual stick vs n64. This is something that I'm very much wanting to bury. Which is superior? Maybe equal. I think the fact that it appears an equal platform can be used like this, it will make for some great banter. Either way if I'm wrong, I will take back all my previous posts and comments about the N64 controller for FPS!

Olllllo here:

since you where not around for a while -i think-

I guess you missed this:

Left Trigger
Shoot, attack

Left Bumper
Reload ,and all of its functions

Right Trigger
Normal Aiming

Left Thumbstick
Look up, down, left, right

Right Thumbstick
Walk forward, strafe left right

A Button
cycle weapons

Now-
the bumpers issue:
the XBCD driver allows you to asign the bumpers and avoids the "cancelling" problem OR you can pay and get
"Xpadder- it allows you to customize deadzones , triggers as buttons
Only drawback - it costs money, older versions are out there for free"
(this from Oldyz's Pacard mod wish @ -http://www.shootersforever.com/forums_message_boards/viewtopic.php?p=35885#35885)

the original drivers for the xbox controllers are lame as heck & i can't imagine why they have not fixed them -

Playing with dual analogues allows you to have the freedom to "R" aim & strafe at the same time ---->http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=cEue1pJhyRs#t=53s

Dual stick is superior because of the strafing while aiming
Which is an advantage , only drawback is that dual analogue mode will only allow you to play with 2 other people in multiplayer mode

BIg mess that the xbla version did not do dual analogues properly-
i guess they would have had to expand the analogues to 8 in the game engine for the game to have 4 2.2 modes secretly and acommodate this for the default menus

Oldyz is ..... near the water?

GE MASTER
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thing is, using 1.2 is fine. Or am I wrong? The "c" movement is the right stick, the aiming is the right stick. No worries in that situation having 4 players. The response seems as it should be.

oldyz

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Olllo -

OK ok ok

let's see , in your first post you stated:

GE MASTER wrote:
I'm hoping to put my pal who love dual analogues, against me, in GoldenEye. He would be using the typical Halo type setup I think. I'm just wondering who has tried out various settings to get an Xbox 360 working well on n64 emulators. Thanks!

then you mentioned that
GE MASTER wrote:
I've had a long standing belief about dual stick vs n64. This is something that I'm very much wanting to bury. Which is superior?

About the controller configuration , you are going to have to find out exactly why your friend loves using dual analogues

-- here is my personal reason---
Absolute control over the speeds at which you control the motions-
you want to walk slowly /sneak/strafe? ANALOGUE GOT YOU
You want to slowly look up & down? ANALOGUE GOT YOU

playing both PD & GE with dual analogues is the way to go - Ol' Rareware was aware of this & gave us the "Domino" configs for dual analogues (tricky tho)

The default configuration of Halo is - I believe -
The AIM/LOOK where one analogue (left or right) controls the head
and the other analogue controls the walks -
For N64 fans Also known as "Turok mode"

Even tho Rareware programmed the C buttons with an incremental acceleration (like the way we control Sonic the Hedgehog on the genesis)
It is still a tad inferior to controlling the motions in a true analogical fashion.

Goldeneye did not feature any true purpose for the analogue controls
(MArio 64 sneaking on piranha plants)
Even to this should have been there - this is a Spy game after all -

ABOUT THE DEBATE

here is my take on the issue-
I love the default configs of Goldneye & PD - the advantage of C button strafing is that you don't need Thumbsticks at 100% range to Run or Strafe at top speed -
The disadvantage comes when trying to look up or down with smoothness or accuracy- (when making artsy fartsy game level tours)
Or in the case of C button walking - sneaking silently (in case anyone ever hacks a Ãœberstealthy level)
For combat simulator purposes, this config feels very good because it gets you used to fast strafing very quickly and you learn to compensate for the lack of accurate looking up or down trough other techniques -
Also the default config is the one that feels more comfortable with GE's R button pseudolightgun aiming----

in the case of C walking - this mode will make you an expert on AIM looking---

NOW dual analogues -
The biggest advantage in GE & PD is the ability to strafe while "R aiming"
Down side : Analogues other than the n64's will make your R aiming suffer
but after a few sessions getting used to it -

this gives you great accuracy over enemies at long distances, and gives you smooth motion when spraying gun fire - no matter how you configure the Sticks.
AIM/LOOk , WALK/TURN/STRAFE - does not matter , you get full control of the range of 4 axis

THE XBLA FIASCO

This debate about Dual analogues VS digital+ analogue should have been settled by the XBLA perfect dark port if the developers had done a good job on the controller config options
I even suggested the hidden bonus of programming universal USB support for any PC compatible usb device for the ports on the 360
(yes, that would have meant adaptoid or keyboard + mouse)

Good thing that PC emulation gives us the opportunity to settle this...

Oldyz is sleep- dreaming of..... clown Olympics?

GE MASTER
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Interesting your point about incremental movements with the C buttons. In that case the 1.2 doesn't real offer true analogue movements. Either way this play test will be done!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Online And Emulation All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: