ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

I need help with N64 USB plug in.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Computer SOS
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EternallyAries

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:58 pm    Post subject: I need help with N64 USB plug in. Reply with quote Back to top

Hello everyone.

I have decided to buy my self a N64 USB port for my laptop. So I can play Goldeneye and Super Mario 64 And other games with a N64 controller.

Since my laptop can handle everything I used with it so far.

So I want a N64 USB and i'm having problems choosing what to pick.

If anyone here has a N64 USB from Ebay. And it works well or it works badly. Please do tell me. So ill know.

And I just want a N64 USB port to be easy installed. As in plug it in the USB and then plug in my N64 controller. and then it be already to be used on a emulator such as. Project 64 or Mupen 64.

If it need other setup then ill be ready to do it.

By the way I only got 20 bucks. So if you do have a USB and its like 20 bucks with shipping and handling. That be great. And it can only be 20 bucks no more.

So far i found this on Ebay. Tell me what you think of it?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-PORT-USB-ADAPTER-N64-CONTROLLER-PC-HOT-/120832472568?pt=Video_Games_Accessories&hash=item1c222d35f8

And will it work for Windows 7? Since that's what i'm using right now.

Anyway thank you all if you can help me. This is really important to me. Since I really need one that will work perfectly as it said on the page.

acceptable67

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I'm sure it will be compatible; but I do not own one myself.

You shouldn't have an issue with compatibilty Wink

HackBond

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I own one. It works.

You gotta calibrate your N64 controller in Gamepad options in the control panel.

[Decoy] Antenna | Control | Silo | Escape

radorn

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I know I'm always very negative, so I beg pardon in advance xD.
It may still be enough for your needs, but I feel that I must report my grievances with this product to someone planning to buy it.

I recently acquired that adapter, after reports of other members of this forum that said they worked. At first my computer didn't even recognize it's presence, so I was going to RMA, but later I tried and magically started working. I also experienced some unstability but it seems to get solved after some reconnections.

But what I really object is how they mapped the N64 controller protocol to HID events:

Directional pad + is mapped to a POV. This isn't entirely bad, although it limits it's use in some programs, but at least it matches the functionality. Although the directional pad is actuatually a set of 4 stand alone buttons, the shape of the plastic piece makes it impossible to press opposite directions at the same time, like it happens in a POV, so I guess it's OK in a way.

The real problem comes with the C buttons. This is the MOST STUPID THING I've ever seen. They converted 4 BUTTONS to 2 axis... You have to CALIBRATE the C buttons, FFS!! and pressing Cr+Cl or Cu+Cd at the same time is not even possible under this setup, because they are mutually exlusive in an axis.
I know this is not such problem in GE or PD, since the Cs are used for directions there, and even games like Mario still consider Cs as directions, but other games use them as additional face buttons (which they actually ARE) that may, at some point, be pressed concurrently, like for cheat codes in some games, like Star Wars Shadows of the empire, or even gameplay functions in other games.

For this reasons, I'm really disappointed with the design of the adapter's logic. It's specially strange their translation of C buttons to 2 axis because the adapter declares a total of 16 buttons, out of which only 10 are actually used, so I really don't know why they didn't put the Cs in 4 of these...

GE MASTER
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I would look at getting the May Flash model. Has 2 ports and has top customer reviews. I don't own one, but it's looking pretty good. I may get one soon enough.

radorn

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

GE MASTER, that's exactly the adapter EternallyAries linked, the dual controller adapter from MayFlash, and hence also the one I was talking about in my rant Razz

Speaking of which, I believe there are vendors offering it at a lower price.

EDIT: Like this one http://www.amazon.com/Mayflash-Adapter-Nintendo-Controller-Converter/dp/B003ZKCFDC

EternallyAries

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

So far from what Radorn said.

I don't know if ill get that one so far.

Is there any other good ones that will do the job. And make it have perfect C buttons control and D pad control?

If not then I guess i'm stuck with the one listed so far.

What i really need is one that will work with C buttons. Since I move a lot with the C buttons on Goldeneye. So this can make it a big problem for me.

radorn

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

well, C buttos do work, but in a stupid way. they treat them as 2 axis, like the analog stick. They also sort of treat the D pad as axes, although differently, and since the internal shape of the plastic piece doesn't physiscally allow opposite directions to be pressed at the same time, it doesn't matter much (although there are compatibility objections with some software, but n64 emu plugins seem to deal well with them).
The problem is the real C buttons of the n64 controller DO ALLOW opposites to be pressed at the same time, because, in reality, they are just independent buttons, but the designers of this adapter decided not to observe this reality and instead made C up and C down an axis, and C left and C right another axis, and you can't get the adapter to recognize both being pressed at the same time, which is really dumb.

This doesn't get used much, but some games do, though not GE or PD (unless for GE's watch menu controller test, where you can press all Cs at same time, and perhaps the button cheat codes)

BTW http://www.dealextreme.com/p/n64-dual-controller-gamepad-to-usb-adapter-30473
price is higher, but they don't charge for shipping

GE MASTER
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

This kind of sucks. I've been away from the scene for a while. I didn't realize the adapters that I have (non may flash) are non existent. It's may flash or nothing. This doesn't make me happy Sad

EternallyAries

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks guys.

Well so far I can't find other N64 USB devices that looks good and works well.

If there no other out there other then this one.

Then I guess ill buy the one i listed so far.

If anyone here knows a better USB that is under 20 bucks then ill take it. Smile

GE MASTER
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Well this appears to be quite the find. I have no idea, I've just found it. Personally, I think it's worth checking out. Due dillegence my friends. I need to dig a bit on this. Check this though first!

http://www.raphnet-tech.com/products/n64_to_usb_adapter/index.php?category=

radorn

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

you guys would already know about these and other adapters if you checked the console workshop forum instead of discussing these things in the PC and Gaming forums Razz

just a hint xD

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Computer SOS All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: