GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Turok Reverse Engineering Project
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kaiser
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:13 pm    Post subject: Turok Reverse Engineering Project Reply with quote Back to top

The Goldeneye hacking community drawn my attention and after lurking for quite some time I've decided to finally post some stuff in regards to my hacking/reverse engineering project for the N64 game, Turok: Dinosaur Hunter. Since this is a hacking community, I'd figured I share this.

For a few months I've been figuring out the data formats and seeing how they all fit in place as well as reverse engineering the code to see what's going on under the hood. I've gathered enough data to begin recreating the game from scratch for people to enjoy on modern systems with the addition of improvements and other features to further enhance the game. The PC port just doesn't cut it anymore and this is a good opportunity to maybe spark some interest from the Turok community. This engine will also be used for recreating perhaps other N64 games, like Goldeneye for example. Both games seem to share similar mechanics like hierarchical model animations and level collision meshes.

I've been working on a tool to preview models and levels for a while and it's pretty much done however I wrote this tool to support only the PC version. Fortunately, the N64 version's data doesn't differ that much except for a few endian swaps for certain data values, etc.

As far as unused textures or hidden items found in the game, there are none. The game is pretty clean in terms of unused assets...

I'll be posting a download link to this tool for those who are interested once I work out all the kinks.

Oh yeah... screenshots:

Previewing animations for the Campaigner Soldier. This actor has the most animations than any other actor and contains several variations (Poacher, Android, Demon, Shaman, etc) and several attachment variations.

Previewing normals for the T-Rex boss

Previewing a static mesh

Previewing the HUB level and triggered events and collision display

Previewing bounding boxes for various actors

Previewing level 3

Level 3 with collision display
Turok (link N/A)

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I can't believe there are no unused assets in there. I hope Turok 2 favors better. I know 2 had a bunch of beta sounds at least. Is it just me or is Turok decently hi poly , for example that dino? I for one, very much look forward to seeing where it goes. Also hope you make sure your APIs support both N64 and PC I hope for files.

stolen
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

When could you upload the tool? I'm quite curious to try it out.

oldyz

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Olllo here

Ah, good old Turok.
huge game - i want to play it again, but it's so gigantic i feel lazy

Would play it again with perfect dark mechanics & AI tho.....

(1 has the best game-play , 2 the better levels & grphcs, 3 was good but weird, 4 ok)

Oldyz is at work Werk Wurk ti doo tidoo Wrky wrk wrk wrk bwrk, Brk Brk brk

Kaiser
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

STOLEN_TEXTURES wrote:

Unless you already have the PC version, then it'll probably be a while before I get the tool to support the N64 version.
Turok (link N/A)

Kaiser
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

SubDrag wrote:
I can't believe there are no unused assets in there.

There are a few 'developer' textures used in Turok 2. They're mostly a texture of some guy's face and another with a picture of a infant...

Edit: link to Turok 2 textures in case anyone wants to see them
http://speedy.sh/FHUdc/t2textures.zip
Turok (link N/A)

fantsu

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Interesting project.
Not having any spare time myself, but let us know if you get something done.
Very Happy

Kaiser
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

STOLEN_TEXTURES wrote:

Download link: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/18609/TMDView.zip

This includes the executable and source code. Refer to CONTROLS.TXT for a list of key bindings and whatnot.

This is by no means perfect. It's unoptimized and is only built to quickly view the data without doing too much work. It only reads the PC version so I haven't got around to support the N64 ROM yet.

To use it, run this command through the console window (Windows only)

Code:
<path>tmdview.exe <path>cartdata.dat

I'd be happy to answer any questions you may have...
Turok (link N/A)

stolen
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Kaiser wrote:
STOLEN_TEXTURES wrote:

This includes the executable and source code. Refer to CONTROLS.TXT for a list of key bindings and whatnot.

This is by no means perfect. It's unoptimized and is only built to quickly view the data without doing too much work. It only reads the PC version so I haven't got around to support the N64 ROM yet.

Code:

Tried it out and I'm quite impressed. I have a question though, what is "bounding box"?

Kaiser
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

stolen wrote:
Kaiser wrote:
STOLEN_TEXTURES wrote:

Code:

Tried it out and I'm quite impressed. I have a question though, what is "bounding box"?

To quickly sum things up: Bounding Box Wiki

Fortunately, there are tons of left over debug strings so I was able to quickly and easily identify things in the level format. There are several bounding boxes used which includes the individual object, a bounding box for a group of meshes (called Grid Bounds) and then another one (Area Bound) for grouped collision meshes. That works by checking to see what area bound that the player or object is in and then performs the collision detection based on what collision meshes are contained in that bound.

However I am not 100% sure what the grid bounds are used for but I believe it may be used to simplify ray tracing since you're capable of hitting every surface of a mesh when you fire your weapon.
Turok (link N/A)

oldyz

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Olllo here:
Sorry to derail a little,

Kaiser - is your Doom 64 project the only one out there?
the web page does not look like one i visited about 2 years ago & i wonder.

Anyway, i really like Doom 64 & wish to see some of the levels made for GE or PD, but i'm guessing that some of the awesome light effects would not work in them.

PS please check your PM for a question....

Oldyz is at work - drinking red-bull & punching a big pink fat guy

zoinkity

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Had to bump this.
A whole stack of Acclaim stuff, from promotional items to a full-blown development kit has been found. There's disks isos of all things Turok, and thought you'd like to take a peek:

http://www.assemblergames.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=91

Kaiser
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Double bump

Very awesome find! Sadly I've pushed off the Turok project for the time being until I continue my updates to the Doom64 project. At least I haven't abandoned it yet Laughing
Turok (link N/A)

nfsfan83
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Guys are you still active here??? I need help from all Turok fans.

MRKane

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The forum is still pretty active and there's a decent turn out around. Due to not having a PC anymore I'm afraid I can't be of much help Sad

How has the work been progressing anyway? Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Game-On! All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: