ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Help - which emulator/plug-ins/setting to use?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Online And Emulation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kerr Avon

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 4:10 am    Post subject: Help - which emulator/plug-ins/setting to use? Reply with quote Back to top

I'm really keen to play Goldeneye:X (plus the N64 games I never got to play as they were never released in PAL format, such as Sin and Punishment, Indiana Jones, and Spiderman), so I'm going to try N64 emulation again. I've tried it at various times in the past, but was never satisfied with the controls or responsiveness, or (depending on the emulated game) the graphical glitches. I've tried Goldeneye:X a couple of times too, but can't get the emulators (1964 and Project 64) to 'feel' right somehow., yet I've read on other forums that N64 emulation is more or less perfect now, up to the standards of 16 bit emulation (SNES and Megadrive).

So can someone please post up *all* details of what needs to be done to get Goldeneye and Perfect Dark (and all other N64 games?) running properly on a (Windows) PC? Please cover everything, including which emulator (and which version of the emulator), which plugins to use (for both keyboard + mouse control, and also for joypad control), and whatever else needs to be done?

Perhaps the information should be made into a sticky topic? I know there are two stickys already sort of mentioning emulation, but they were started three and five years ago respectively, and maybe a new sticky could cover everything necessary for perfect (or as near as possible) N64 emulation.

Thanks for reading this, and for any answers.

mistamontiel

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The only plugin I know is the graphics. The input plugin, I've always used N-Rage's Direct-Input V2 2.00b with my Mayflash N64 dual adapter

Glide Napalm..I could say v1.0 for tests first ? As for Glide Napalm Final you need to also extract+overwrite the glide3x.dll

There's a lot of extras in their archives, whatever says glide and .dll/.ini that's it. And if you use Winamp there's some cool .xm songs in some too

http://glide64.emuxhaven.net/index.php

Near zero configuration for me..all I do is set res and enable the clock + transparent..when I play PD I can't tell difference from console. Napalm v1.0 that is..I'm still experimenting with Napalm Final seems slightly grainy however it is set so far

Also for netplay, using Mupen64++ it's like the only nice way to Mario Party (no flicker), Wayne Gretzky (no glitchy rink), WCW NWO (in 3D8 they're just black screen). Yoshi's Story isn't a cluster using it..it's a great fix/enhancer in my head

Kerr Avon

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for that. What emulator (and version of it) do you use for offline play, is it Muppen, or Project 64, or what? And do you use the same emulator for all N64 games?

mistamontiel

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Oh I just rock Project 64 1.6 for offline

It's simple, works, good for gamesharking, all that jazz

There is that 1964 60FPS build here, in fact it's stickied in this subforum but yeh. 2.33GHz single core is kind of lacking for that

EDIT: I read original post again. As for GE:X in PJ64 1.6, there's like specific rom settings you need to set, and I forget if they're always set once done. And always seeing "BAD ROM" sucks.

So the custom GE/PD roms I'm frequently using Mupen64++, online + offline (remember that lone mupen64.ini is obsolete, just the folder is a must)

fantsu

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

N64 emulation is far, FAR from perfect btw.
Laughing Laughing Laughing

The thing is that you have to use different settings for different games, different emulators for different situations and so on.

Example:

When I play Perfect Dark local multiplayer, I use:
PJ64 1.6
Jabo's Direct3D8 1.6.1
Jabo's DirectSound 1.6.1
Def's Direct Input 0.54

When I play Perfect Dark solo, I use:
PJ64 1.7
Glide Final or WX, depending. Sometimes Rice if I'm recording.
Azimer's HLE Audio WIP2
N-Rage or Darkman (depending if I play with mouse and keyboard or not)

When I play Perfect Dark online, I use:
Mupen64++
Usually Jabo 1.6.1
Azimer
Darkman

It is whole different story when I play other games...

I just don't think there is one right way to play really.
Some games wont work right with some plugins or emulators, or they just take too much resources to work right.

HackBond

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

You have PJ64 1.7?

mistamontiel

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I don't quite get why they charge for previews of their next version of PJ64. Don't the plugins make the emulator ?

Aside from little features

acceptable67

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Spyster wrote:
You have PJ64 1.7?

Very easy to

Utter worthless build and don't recommend getting it. Stick with PJ64 1.6

Anyways, the default plugins for the PJ64 is perfect. You should have memorized the ROM Settings by now (if you're not new).

Seen these threads and questions far too often.

No disrespect intended.

EternallyAries

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Ah yes another topic of emulations. Why do everyone forget about the excellent 1964 Emulator? Only one person has talk about it though this whole topic. It has amazing interface for all those new users. And I never seen a slow down once unless there a giant explosion on single player Goldeneye or Perfect Dark. Of course that was because I had an old computer with 256 MB of ram. But now I been using 4GB ram PC. And I have not experience any slow frame rate or nothing. And it also has amazing GameShark code window as well.

Also 1964 is also the first emulator I've use to just load a rom and play. With out editing any settings.

Also an idea if you do go with 1964. Put the counterfacter to 2 or 3. This will keep the game running constantly smooth. Depending on the computer hardware you have.

mistamontiel

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I need assistance..

How could I eliminate the borders, top/bottom of GoldenEye 007 (U) [!].z64 ?

All I really got is Glide Napalm V1, Final (I can't even make it look cleaner than V1), and the norm 3D8.

Borders.. Sad I wish for no more.. any advice ?

AverageGamerStoner1
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

When I recorded with FRAPS, sometimes, I found when using a very high screen resolution, I would get boarders when I recorded. When I reduced the screen resolution to a lower quality, the videos would turn out full screen.

I don't know if this would be help for you, but thought I would throw out the idea.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Online And Emulation All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: