ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Your thoughts on moving the forum to a vBulletin board?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Website & Message Board Comments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GE MASTER
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:05 pm    Post subject: Your thoughts on moving the forum to a vBulletin board? Reply with quote Back to top

I'm interesting what you guys think about vbulletin as opposed to what is currently here. I doubt I could get matching color scheme or design which might affect how people feel about it. I have an issue with phpbb and updating etc. Security is becoming more important and that's just reality.

Don't worry, I'm just asking. The worst thing people do with forums is to change them or redecorate. I totally understand that changing this could do more harm than good.

I appreciate thoughts on this from you guys.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I think it'd be a good idea, for security purposes, and also for features. If we do, we need to make sure we more or less keep the feel the same though. There are a lot of features that would be nice to have, for example, exporting pms, I know you can do it in vbulletin, I wanted to do it here.

If only could not lose these posts and somehow migrate them over. That's the part that will be hard to take.

EternallyAries

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Well GE Master.

I used to run a Vbulletin Forums back in 2010.

It was great and all. If only i had more members. >.>

Anyway doing this is a great idea even thu we can't move all the post we have here onto the other site.

Most of the old topics here help a lot of members. Teach the guess on how to use the action blocks and what not.

But even if you do chose to move onto Vbulletin forums. I love to help and move most of the helpful topics and make a new list in there like a tutorial list and stuff.

And post the helpful topics into one forums area. Including if you go with the idea. Make a link to this forums as well. So others can visit it when ever anyone likes to see what the old forums was.

Including the Security in Vbulletin works very well. If I do say so my self.

Now there one big problem.. You kinda need time to do all of this for just one forums.

I say its up to you if you feel like doing something this big of a job. And you do need to have help. Like ask some trustful people you know to help you work on the new forums with you.

Once the moving is complete. you can then decorate it and make it look like your very own. That is if you know how.

Anyway my opinion is well this is a great idea and it can be a fun project as well for you.

acceptable67

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

This current forum holds so much history. I know it may be beneficial to move to a V Bulletin but look what you would be throwing away... Just wouldn't be the same.

GE MASTER
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for the input guys. I wouldn't move to vbulletin if that meant not being able to take what's here and move to a new forum system. With the popularity of phpbb forums, I can't see how vbulletin doesn't have a good system of transferring.

The Extremist

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

You could archive the existing forum, although that would take up more server space.

EternallyAries

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The Extremist wrote:
You could archive the existing forum, although that would take up more server space.

It take a lot of server space. Since this forums is very old. It might take up about a good 2 GB worth of topic and post and what not.

MultiplayerX

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:27 pm    Post subject: Why are they giving you issues? Reply with quote Back to top

I think the layout here is great however if you can't get updates etc You have to move where you needs are met MultiplayerX

zoinkity

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

There may not be a script to export yet, but wonder how involved writing one would be. At the least a text repository should be feasible, but full conversion would be really handy. Is there something available on the internal format of both?

Personally, although there are some nice features available, I see no reason to convert over except for security. What's with the bots lately anyway? The quoters are really exceptional. It's like an evil version of ELIZA.

First forum upgrade since the fall of GSC, isn't it? I still remember the old one. It was really, uhm, lumpy.

(A couple extra themes wouldn't be a bad touch though. Honestly, never cared that much for the theme.)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Website & Message Board Comments All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: