ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

New fix for 64 controller.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Console Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
badair
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:01 am    Post subject: New fix for 64 controller. Reply with quote Back to top

Hello all. I've created a unique method for installing wii joysticks in N64 controllers that doesn't involve any electrical modifications. Everything modded is strictly mechanical. I've been working on this for a long time and I've finally settled on a design. They function and feel more like the OEM joystick than any joystick I've used thus far. Because it's mechanical, the timing and range-of-motion is identical to the OEM stick. You can see the final design in these videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bygwvI0S-DU&feature=plcp (close-up video)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fk2n-Auee90&feature=plcp (controller being used in PD... took me awhile to pick up a gun to get crosshairs to show sensitivity)

I'm starting to sell the controllers I make now. SuPeRbOoM (winner of the Apex 2012 Smash Bros. tournament) will be receiving a slightly earlier design of one of my controllers sometime this week, and he's going to do a review. (the only difference between his controller and the updated design is that now the joystick is at OEM height, and I also added a major durability improvement). You can follow the original announcement thread here: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=328083

I would love to make a guide at some point, because I believe in the open source spirit and I think everyone should be able to play N64 games the way they were meant to be played. It's involved enough that it's going to be difficult for anyone to do it right without screwing up a few controllers first, though. So I don't think it will cut much into my profit margin (I have a lot of my controllers at my disposal to mod and sell). It cost me at least 10 controllers to learn how to do this consistently and efficiently while still making them durable and functioning well.

I don't want to be here solely for the purpose of shamelessly peddling my goods, so you can find out more about purchasing in the Smash Boards thread above. I'm offering a 90 day return policy for breakage and a 30 day return policy for any/no reason at all (even refunding shipping), because I really think people will like them and that they will last. I'm considering switching to ebay auctions instead of orders, because my supply/time is limited.

I'm curious to know what you think about the design, and what improvements you would like to see.

P.S. I'm a huge Goldeneye fan, and some of the names on this forum are familar to me from when I used to toy around with emulators. (Zoinkity, I loved your Doubutsu No Mori patch!)

zoinkity

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Remind me to finish Animal Forest sometime ;*)

It's definately welcome to see a mechanical solution to the joystick issue. Too many rely on soldering this, that, and the other thing which puts them well out of the common user's grasp.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Console Workshop All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: