ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

All PD ROM patches must standardize to PD ROM Version 1.1

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Carrington's Hacker Central
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 9:32 am    Post subject: All PD ROM patches must standardize to PD ROM Version 1.1 Reply with quote Back to top

We have decided that all work and patches for Perfect Dark must be done on the 1.1 version of Perfect Dark.

This is because that version has some minor fixes from the original. I was previously doing work on 1.0, but I believe this is a better answer.

Also, one note on XDelta patches - they check CRC of input ROM. So if you want patches to stack, it's not possible with XDelta. However, this is useful for telling if you have the right input ROM.

sumbodyshero
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

What are the fixes? Does anybody know, exactly? I have always been curious about 1.1 versions of N64 games.

zoinkity

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The big fix is the one where your save file won't be permanently corrupted in such a way that the game is rendered unplayable (as in a crash at the menus) and nothing short of deleting or uploading a blank eeprom outside of PD can fix it. Yet another interesting use of a GS.

Had to do with a memory overrun when sims enter a particular part of a particular MP stage.

The memory maps are different, which is why there's the incompatability. Nobody should be playing version 1.0 anyway; in fact, if you had a 1.0 cart Nintendo did a free upgrade to 1.1 if you sent it to them.

sumbodyshero
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

whoa, really? i never knew about all of that. i got the game on day one so i guess i'm lucky that i never had that problem. the most i ever anticipated a game, still to this day!

mistamontiel

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Some games even had a v1.2 .. perhaps rushed out the door much

Turok 1.. Diddy Kong Racing I think.. Killer Instinct Gold (despite it's just another port not worth)

zoinkity

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Then there's re-releases. Ocarina of Time has a version 15 believe it or not.

mistamontiel

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Oh jeez.. as for Zelda OOT, I even seen a N64 rom claiming to rock the remastered graphics from the GC port.

Not so sure.. I think I had it but saw no difference.. that's a lot of fricking versions dude

zoinkity

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I'd imagine they skipped a few numbers, but the highest I've seen is 0xF, or version 15, for the leaked GC debug ROM. There were only maybe 3-4 versions on N64 for each country code, but GC had its own set.

PD fell at a bad time. There was a very short lived bug in the devkits at that point and every game that had epprom+mempak support had to be patched and rereleased. PD was a bit lucky in that the conditions were more obscure than most.

Still, it would have been nice if some of the bad clipping tiles could have been addressed in one of them, like the doorframe in Skedar Ruins MP I always seem to fall out of and die.

sumbodyshero
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

This is the first thing in my life that's lowered my defenses regarding online patching (just a little bit). I always viewed it as kind of Satan (lol).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Carrington's Hacker Central All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: