ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

GE:X - Fifth Official Patch Released! @ 09-22-12
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17, 18, 19  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye X
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Goods new in regards to Caverns VR. Not only can human players no longer crouch and walk through the lower eyelid doors, Simulants are now able to operate them very well. I've watched them navigate through the map, and even the end bridge with two sets of doors on each side doesn't hold them up.

Part of the fix may annoy some players, however. For some strange reason, the object flag that made the doors open at the start of a match, was causing the lower door to lose its collisions when closed. Unless we can find some way to fix this, all of the eyelid doors in the hexagonal doorways will need to be closed at the beginning of a game. I may increase the speed of these doors (as well as the blast doors) to compensate.

I haven't actually modified the size of any first-person weapon models for GEX. Just the hand grenade, that I can remember. Possibly the mines, as well. The rest of the guns are the same size as in GoldenEye 007. The actual hand in Perfect Dark may seem different from that in GE007, though.

I'm not sure how to handle the Watch Laser in any other way. You see, it uses the arm that is assigned to the character you are playing as. It just adds the watch model onto that at the wrist. This way, no matter who you are playing as (or which Bond in the mission campaign), the proper arm will appear. Even Perfect Dark's wrist-mounted laser doesn't fit all the arms that well.

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Those Bonds are some smart cookies!

As you can see, the Sims are able to operate the hexagonal eyelid doors with relative ease. There may still be the odd hiccup once in a while, but I haven't noticed anything drastic enough to spoil a match, or make an Assignment win a shoe-in.

I've doubled the speed of the blast doors, and increased the eyelid door operation by fifty percent. Though they are faster, they still take a little time to fully open. However, I did lower the height at which the doors need to be open before a player (or Sim) can pass under it. This will allow you to get through slightly sooner than the time it takes to come to a full stop.

There is an issue with the engine, which allows you to take advantage of doors while fighting Simulants. While they are in operation, a Sim cannot fire at their opponent. They must wait until the door reaches the pass through height before making an attack. Even if they manage to get a shot off, there is a very good chance that the bullet will hit an invisible barrier. Hopefully between the quicker doors and sooner pass through times, this won't be too much of an exploit. Although, in an LTK setting, it is certainly enough time to abuse this problem...

Kerr Avon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Will you be waiting until you're completely happy with a new version, before releasing it to us eager fans? I personally hope (really *really* hope) that you don't, as another year long wait (judging by the last update) would be very trying Sad

Would you instead consider doing what some people do with their projects, which is occasionally release a version, marking it as "potentially unstable" (or whatever words you think appropriate), with the advice hat anyone who wants a proven stable release should stick with v-0.5a for now? I think that that would be a great solution all round. I know this would be extra work for you, but please consider it, as the occasional release would massively ease the pain of waiting, for us Goldeneye X fans.

Also, will you be adding any more maps from The World is Not Enough? If so, please consider adding Forest, Frost Bite, and Merchant, as they are all great maps. Sky Rail would be good too, but it would need altering as you need to be able to jump (if I remember correctly) to get onto the cable-cars.

And will you be adding options like screen blur/disarm/start with a weapon from slot x (the user chooses which slot)/choose where the bases are (to avoid the badly placed random ones)/use the Perfect Dark weapons in Goldeneye X? I think these all would really benefit the game, but they should be optional and not forced on the player.

By the way, please don't change the ability in Goldeneye X to fall of ledges/down the hole in the big room in Temple - at first I wasn't sure if this would take away too much from the 'Goldeneye' feel (even though I prefer PD's way of being able to fall any time you choose), but after playing it for a while I realise you made the right choice, it should be possible for the player to fall/drop off ledges whenever (s)he chooses.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yes, we'll absolutely be releasing a 5b update patch, possibly in November or December. We're currently concentrating on fixing up known bugs, and enhancing certain things that require it. It'll be the first minor patch release, but it's important to get some things taken care of and back out into the hands of the players.

There was only one other map, that I can think of, that I was interested in potentially including from TWINE. I believe it is called Courier in the mission campaign, and Merchant in multiplayer. Zoinkity was responsible for getting Labyrinth ported to GoldenEye, which I then could bring over to GEX. As of right now, he's the only guy with the ability to get this done. He has a lot on his plate, so I don't know if this is a very high priority for him.

Setting those things up (disarm/blur/start with weapon X) sounds like a rather difficult task. I imagine it is probably possible, but it is beyond my personal abilities. A few PD weapons will make an appearance as unlockable cheats, just as a few choice GE classics did. I doubt they'll be available in VR mode, however.

One of the advantages to using Perfect Dark as the base for GoldenEye X, is the improved clipping system. Being able to drop off certain ledges in multi is a great new feature. Whenever I go back to GE007 and find that I can't drop down the hole in Temple, or off the catwalks in Stack, I feel disappointed. The drops definitely won't be going anywhere anytime soon.

Kerr Avon

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wreck wrote:
Yes, we'll absolutely be releasing a 5b update patch, possibly in November or December. We're currently concentrating on fixing up known bugs, and enhancing certain things that require it. It'll be the first minor patch release, but it's important to get some things taken care of and back out into the hands of the players.

Brilliant! Though please don't think I'm complaining about the long wait between v0.4 and 0.5a - it's true that waiting is a little annoying, but I'd much much much rather wait a long time for something great than get it a lot earlier and find it's less good, or even disappointing. Many commercial games could clearly have been been a lot better if they'd been delayed by a few months. I still remember how annoyed I was by all of Perfect Dark's delays, but when it finally appeared it was (and is) massively worth the wait. And if they had released it a year, or even just a month, earlier then no doubt it would be missing some of the features or maybe even multiplayer levels that we now take for granted.

As Shigeru Miyamoto said, "A delayed game is delayed for a finite while, but a bad game is bad for ever". Which is why I'm too bothered that Bioshock Infinite is so delayed. And if games like Carmageddon 64 and Syndicate (XBox 360) had been delayed for a few months more they might have ended up as far better games.

Then again, Duke Nukem Forever was delayed for more than a decade, and look how that turned out Sad

Quote:

There was only one other map, that I can think of, that I was interested in potentially including from TWINE. I believe it is called Courier in the mission campaign, and Merchant in multiplayer. Zoinkity was responsible for getting Labyrinth ported to GoldenEye, which I then could bring over to GEX. As of right now, he's the only guy with the ability to get this done. He has a lot on his plate, so I don't know if this is a very high priority for him.

Fair enough. How much progress have you made with the single player missions of Goldeneye X? I have mixed feelings about those, as on the one hand I'd really like to play them as you release them, but on the other hand, I'd probably end up wishing I'd waited until you released the finished Goldeneye X with all of the single player missions, and then play the whole game through for the first time.

Actually, what I'd probably do, is just play the first level, and then not play any other release levels until the lot are complete and then play them all through. Goldeneye X and Bioshock Infinite are the only two games I'm really looking forward to at the moment (and Half-Life 3, assuming it is coming out, which it probably is, but Valve won't confirm or deny it). Timesplitters 4 would be on that list, but it's not looking likely that there will be such a game, sadly.

To me, one of the most important aspects of gameplay it replayability, and sadly I think that replayability is something that's lacking most modern first person shooters, and it doesn't help that less and less PC FPSs seem to have SDKs for people to make mods - I love game mods, and games like Deus Ex, the Half-Life games, the Unreal Tournament games, etc, all have excellent mods, but not Bioshock 1 or 2, Deus Ex Human Revolution, Deus Ex: Invisible War, etc, as the SDKs were never made available for them, sadly. Since paid for DLC (downloadable content) has been such a huge success on the XBox 360/PS3, software houses have realised that if they don't release the mod-making tools, and instead make the mods themselves, then they can charge money for them and make profit. But this limits the number, diversity, and (often the) quality of the mods.

Quote:

Setting those things up (disarm/blur/start with weapon X) sounds like a rather difficult task. I imagine it is probably possible, but it is beyond my personal abilities. A few PD weapons will make an appearance as unlockable cheats, just as a few choice GE classics did. I doubt they'll be available in VR mode, however.

Fair enough - I know your intention is to bring GE to PD's engine, not to mix every PD and GE item into one game. Mnd you, when you've eventually finished GE X, then perhaps you'll be looking for new projects, and consider "Perfect Gold Arena, the ultimate N64 Deathmatch Game", with everything from GE and PD's multi-player all in one! I can but hope...

Seriously though, regarding your personal abilities, you and the rest of the team have pulled off something really fantastic - I wish I had that much talent.

Quote:

One of the advantages to using Perfect Dark as the base for GoldenEye X, is the improved clipping system. Being able to drop off certain ledges in multi is a great new feature. Whenever I go back to GE007 and find that I can't drop down the hole in Temple, or off the catwalks in Stack, I feel disappointed. The drops definitely won't be going anywhere anytime soon.

Good to know, thanks.

SATURN_81
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

honestly must understand that GE and PD games, have a motor and a different physical each and here I think that arises the difficulty of carrying anything or course level and make it work in GEX, ie is not the same to operate a weapon of a different game as GE (which takes animation, shutter speed, flash fire) that simply carry a level of GE to mod GEX. not such as have come up with to run the vest, and that weapons of classic slots again with the second feature enabled.

to think it will be very difficult to operate the vehicle tank in the mod and I think they are doing everything possible to operate this vehicle. Mod priority I think it first passes through faithfully to the original game, you have to keep in mind that everything you do is in trouble sometimes and not all the people involved in the project have the same knowledge alike.

for new levels such as non-GE I think we will have to wait for the completion of the entire project to see how much memory is left over to make such additions to mod GEX.

zoinkity

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I would like to point out that most TWINE stages have a idiotic number of textures that makes it variably infeasible to impossible to include them in Rare's games. The room limit exceeds PD's engine even, but at least merging rooms (and dropping off useless things) can compensate for that. I might add that palette swapping is used often in TWINE but unsupported in GE/PD, requiring unique images for these. Inline textures can not be used for any telemetry with collisions.

Both games (due to hacking) now have a texture limit of 4094 unique images. Expect any TWINE single-player stage to eat almost half of that, and any MP (besides Labyrinth) to eat 25% - 33%. It seems the more accurate the decompiler gets the worse the texture consumption is. Honestly, the stages really need to be cleaned up too. They didn't tile textures; they drew new quads instead.

TWINE loads data on a per-stage basis, more like the Banjo titles, using direct ROM access. GE and PD use an indexed list of all textures and their features. Changing that would require such a radical alteration to the engines I can't even guess what's involved.

Anyway, the tools I used to extract Labyrinth work for any other TWINE data object and they're available here:
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?jcxa91a9smjdr9b

You can PM for more information about TWINE if you'd like, such as some of the data formatting and compression methods. I'm not going to port anything else though until the huge checklist of stuff is taken care of, if ever.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Don't you feel like taking a swim?

Fixed up the visibility errors we had with this window section of Caverns. Instead of using the more complicated (and non-working in PD) GoldenEye data, it now simply shows the water from the three rooms you can actually see it from. Also added an extra entry to allow the water under the catwalks to be seen from the other hexagonal doorway that Rare didn't include. It's difficult to see it, but if you're looking in the right spot, you'd have noticed a black hole. So, yay! Caverns is pretty much all fixed up! Smile

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Caverns just wouldn't go down without a fight...

After testing on console, I found that there was a blast door freezing the game when a player went to operate it. Through process of elimination, I eventually determined that it was caused by the pass through value. I had lowered them to allow players and Sims to walk past the doors before they came to a complete stop. Apparently, the game didn't like that very much. So, I had to revert it back. All the doors are still quicker to open and close, but you need to wait them out before crossing through.

fantsu

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Will here be voting for the "extra" PD weapons or are they decided yet?
Any restrictions?

If not, MagSec, CMP150, Dragon and Avenger PLEASE!
I can live with AR34 or Laptop also.

Too futuristic weapons wont fit that well with Goldeneye anyways (like the Skedar weapons).
Very Happy

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

fantsu wrote:
If not, MagSec, CMP150, Dragon and Avenger PLEASE!
I can live with AR34 or Laptop also.

Well, you've got good taste. A nice chunk of those will be left in as the Futuristic Weapons. The only weapon of alien design that will likely remain is the FarSight XR-20. Mostly because it is just too interesting to let go. It will certainly let you play GE levels in a whole new manner.

SATURN_81
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

my weapons designs aliens do not like for a game like GEX, yet I've always liked their functions. if the problem is for example the design of Farshight alien could replace the rifle design on Farshight PD. Me for example I like the second function of the Mauler (but only to play with gameshark and hear the sound of another weapon in the second function of the Mauler). Phoenix is a great weapon in your second function and only dislike some alien design.
I really like the design CMP150 especially bright black color, this weapon seems elegant.

and finally in conventional weapons not to want 3 Falcon each with different functions. I would leave conventional weapons as follows:

-Falcon 2
-MagSec
-DYMagnum silver (PD)
-CMP150
-KF7 Avenger
-Super Dragon
-Laptop Gun
- RCP120

and if possible put new textures or change the pattern of the alien weapons (personally would be best) would leave this slot in this order:

-Falcon2
-MagSec
-Phoenix (with the model changed or new textures)
-Mauler (with the model changed or new textures)
-CMP150
-Laptop Gun
-Super Dragon
-Reaper (with the model changed or new textures) (the latter seems to me like the machine gun from Turok)

of course do not forget the second function of each of the weapons (in this last patch have been preserved and hope it stays that way for the next patch) that is what I think makes them unique to each of the arms of PD .

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Open your eyes, and behold the Iris door...

Due to a lack of understanding of the complexity behind the original, and unsure how to support it in the Perfect Dark engine, this door was simplified into two parts. It opens the same way as the eyelid, by parting at the middle and going in opposite vertical directions. While shut, the portal connecting to the next room is disabled. This should add a slight improvement to framerate. The blast doors also now close their respective portals.

Special thanks to SubDrag for making the door models!

goldeneyegod
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I love all this attention to detail really shows the hard work everyone is doing to get this game to a professional standard and bug free with all these work arounds.

I just hope all the tweaks are done soon to the multiplayer because now my mind is really turning to the single player implemented in the pd engine like co-op and counter operative on the goldeney levels. Playing counter operative in the surface one level would be amazing trying to sneek up on your friend in the snow lol.

As well as hopefully being able to implement snow effects and other lighting in the single player levels if can be done at all that will be an amazing achievement.

Would love to see some sneak pics of the solo levels if possible but if everyone is still ironing out the kinks in multi I understand. Keep up the good work everyone.

Can't wait for the next update in what ever shape or form it may come just hope its out for xmas because that will be a great xmas present to unrap lol

SATURN_81
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I like the doors of two ways, both the lid and the iris. about what to make it work as the Iris Ge Did you notice in the first gate G5 level of PD? Maybe I can get lucky with the door mechanism G5 level, and if not so lucky can try placing the gate G5 level, in all places where the doors should be Iris, so maybe a gate G5 Iris with texture can be the best way to simulate the complex mechanism that takes into GE Iris door. Perhaps also the placement of the door, either horizontally, vertically or diagonally on this idea much help. by the way the building's door G5 should be thoroughly studied, the model if necessary, I think this door has two parts, the opening speed, and you may have any similarity with the doors of the caves of GE.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye X All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 4 of 19

Jump to: