ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

emulating pd

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Perfect Dark
View previous topic :: View next topic  
E3Esxt02
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:48 pm    Post subject: emulating pd Reply with quote Back to top

aw man it's awesome...runs so much better than ge

The Extremist

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

It's quite hard to get framebuffer effects like motion blur working though.

GE MASTER
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I agree with both comments, other than its much better than ge. C'mon lets get real! Seriously though, I think Jabo will have that lens issue worked out for the new PJ64 release. Moving the Slayer around without any blur makes it a bit ridiculous. PD and GE both are crazy good on emu, that I agree with.

Fear the Darkness
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

well, PD is better than GE. c'mon dude it's better in every way. the weapons in GE were boring and didn't have much difference between them. just about all single shots were the same and all rapid-fires were the same. I heard in multiplayer the rapid-fire guns are not even rapid-fire because only one shot out of every three or four can hit. if that's true then there's no point to calling it rapid-fire. there was much more to the PD weapons and they were much more different and useful.

ok now let's do the story. GE's story is your average "secret agent has to save the world" thing. nothing special. has pretty much everything you'd expect and few surprises. the aliens in PD makes the game better I think. I'm not a big sci-fi fan but I know I like it better with the aliens than I would have without them.

PD's multiplayer easily destroys GE's. should be obvious why but if it isn't I'll explain in another post.

the way I look at it is, most people who give PD a real chance are easily swayed to PD. I've seen it happen a bunch of times. I played GE and got bored quickly. I don't remember if I played GE first or not though. I can see why some people who played GE first would like it because it's a classic, but PD is a big improvement in every way. whatever GE has, PD has and makes ten times better.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Perfect Dark was definitely a step up from GoldenEye, there is no doubt about that. The Multiplayer (Combat Simulator) was a lot better, with more stages, options, customizable characters and simulants. You could really go indepth and set it up how you see fit. Missions featured speaking enemies and better AI. Co-Operative and Counter Co-Operative were a great deal of fun. All of the extra training exercises allowed gamers to grow accustomed to the way weapons and gadgets worked. It really was well put together.

However, it was lacking something indescribable.
Even with all of the upgrades and extras, Perfect Dark can't hold my interest for very long. Is it the storyline, the alien lifeforms, or the higher resolution that throws me? Rare may have improved upon their first FPS in many ways, but they forget about heart. You can worry all you want to about image, so long as you remember it's what's inside that counts. And for PD, it was all about beauty and showing off.

MultiplayerX

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Perfect Dark versus GoldenEye eh? Hmmmmmm. I have to say that BOTH games have great qualities. The reason why I think Perfect Dark is considered by many to exceed GE is because it is much more multiplayer friendly to a SOLO player or group that wants to just go at it. It is THE HALO before HALO. From a LEVEL uniqueness standpoint I'd have to go with Goldeneye. The reason being is that the levels are so much more intriguing from a realistic standpoint. Perfect Dark however; also intrigues me INTENTLY if we could just get some of the SOLO mod's to play without freezing on CONSOLE. That is unless of course they'll play on emulator. Wink The blurred vision when someone hits you on Perfect Dark gets on my last damn nerve. Love those N-Bombs though. Very Happy We need to mod both games TOGETHER for one INVINCIBLE all you need FPS game with AI bots in GoldenEye!! Now that's what I'd like to see. That would make GoldenEye even that much sweeter! Cool

The Extremist

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

PD's weapons are better. PD's multiplayer is better. PD's graphics are better. PD's music is better. PD's level design is better.

However, GE's atmosphere and gameplay are better. Like Wreck said, GE has something that just can't be explained.

I think that the main reason some people prefer GE over PD is the frame rate. Explosions will cause a lot of slowdown in PD.

Also, PD has more of an unfinished quality over GE.

MultiplayerX

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Too bad we can't just merge these games together with GoldenEye's control style. I have to agree EXTREME. The Villa in SOLO along with Air Force One and Area 51 would make fantastic LARGE multiplayer levels.

Fear the Darkness
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

well if PD's multiplayer is better, that's most of what matters since the multiplayer is usually what gets the most amount of play

The Extremist

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Fear the Darkness wrote:
well if PD's multiplayer is better, that's most of what matters since the multiplayer is usually what gets the most amount of play

The problem is that PD's multiplayer is almost unplayable sometimes because of the framerate.

GE MASTER
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I've had my steady diet of PD multiplayer. One of the biggest weaknesses in PD multiplayer were the levels. If you think about it, it is more enjoyable I think playing in a realistic environment like Bunker, Archives, etc, unlike a wacky something like Ravine is just more fun. Elevators are lame and falling off to death sucks. So for me, level design in GE beats PD. Weapons wise, both enjoyable. Double weapons? Just adds to an unbalanced gameplay. 2 guns beats 1 gun.

Maxout

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

There's no comparing the two games. PD came after GE when the programmers had more experience and something to work off of like GE. Of course it's going to have more in some way because it's newer.

THe only thing I don't like about Goldeneye. The only serious thing is that impervious flinch when hit.

http://www.youtube.com/Greatermaxim

Fear the Darkness
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

well that's because there's more to it. if GE's had as much as PD's and the ability to put in sims, I'm sure it would have framerate issues too. and PD only gets really bad when there's lots of people on the screen at once.

GE MASTER
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Sims on emulator might be a nice surprise framerate wise. I haven't checked it out, but somebody should put it to the test. On the console, I can't say that PD's framerate has ever been bad. Keep in mind we don't use sims usually. Hardware was PD's greatest enemy. Emulation may save the day!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Perfect Dark All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: