ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Clean out

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Computer SOS
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rey

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:37 am    Post subject: Clean out Reply with quote Back to top

I never knew how to do a clean out of the computer. Like to take out the cookies and such. How can I do so. I need to clean out my computer in order to start on my new levels.

MAURO
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Basically you'll need just two softwares, CCleaner and Defraggler.

Download these from http://www.piriform.com, install and run first Ccleaner. Its pretty simple to use: Mark the box to delete the unecessary files, such as temporary internet files, cookies, history, clipboard, recicle bin, memory dumps and everything else you want.

The places to clean are divided by two tabs:

Windows, containing the sections:

Internet Explorer
Windows Explorer
System
Advanced

And Programs, containing unecessary files from various options depending of what you've got installed. You will likely to have Windows media Player, Paint or Adobe.
You can delete anything here without fear, so I suggest you to mark all boxes, except for "Wipe Free space" (I'll explain later).

Now hit analyze to see the amount of junk to be deleted, and then hit run cleaner, or just run cleaner, if you don't want to see how much junk you've in your machine, which doesn't matter.

Congratulations!! You deleted almost all unecessary junk files from the hard drive!!

Now hit "Registry". Mark every box and hit "Scan for Issues". The issues shown are from the windwos registry. You can safely hit "Fix selected Issues" and delete all these defet keys... don't worry, no backup needed. This is a powerful application and I never had any issue with its usage in two years.

Congratulations!! You've cleaned your registry!!

Now open Defraggler and hit "Analyze" to check how much fragmented your hard drive is. See those lovely red squares? They're fragmented sectiuons of your hard drive. You can click then to see what's in the section and the fragments, but its not necessary. You have two options now: Fully Defrag the system of just the fragmented files. The first will defrag every fragmented file and will move all big files to the end of the hard drive, but it take hours in a big and very fragmented drive, and the second will only defragment the files, which is very fast. I strongly recommend the first option if you see a lot of red squares and not so much white squares.

Click settings>options>defrag>movemove large files to the end of the drive during whole drive defrag. Set the minimun file size to be moved for the end of the drive (and the ones which are smaller will be in the beginning). This is to increase the amount of time to open/close the files, as bigger files aren't too used. The default is 200MB, i think, and I recommend this value.

Now, after the analysis, check the file list tab which files are fragmented, and choose now to:

*Defrag the whole hard drive

Just click back in the Drive:C tab and hit Defrag, wait 2~3 hours for the completion (or more time, I don't know your system) and go do something away from the computer, as its take time and it's recommended to kept all applications closed. Will will notice, after the defrag, that you moved all your files from the initial analyse. There's a massive amount of blue squares in the beginning of the drive and some (very heavy) in the end,A and no more red squares (fragmented files) anymore, maybe one or two, but it's used by the system and cannot be defragmented. Also theres a lot of free space now, the white squares...

or you can....

*Defrag just the fragmented files

After the analyse, click the tab "File List" and check the top box to select all files. Then hit "defrag checked" and wait some minutes. It's only recommended if you have a little tiny amount of fragmented files, and clean your computer often (not your case, I guess).

either way....

Congratulations!! You've defragmented you hard drive!!

Now reboot your computer and be a happy person. There's other applications for cleaning the computer, like advanced registry cleaners or applications for managing the RAM memory, but you will not need them.

As for the "Wipe free Space" from Ccleaner:

"It is just to overwrite the free disc space with random bites and secure that your deleted files will not be recovered with programs such as Recuva.
You can configure it in the "Settings" section under "Options". Normal delection will just overwrite the free disc space one time, and secure you can adjust how many times, being 35 passes the more secure and definitely slow."

I hope that guide could help you, have a great day.

Oh, I'm also liking your new levels. Wink Keep up the good work!!

Bond: Your last chance! Give me the name!!

Lachaise: You still threat me, even without your weapon??

Bond: *BANG!*

mistamontiel

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Nice writeup MAURO

I have CCleaner.. I never learned how to use it. What to delete. What not to delete. I only use it to kill off restore points.. I'm always short on space Embarassed

Windows Defrag no good ? As for browser cookies just Ctrl+Shift+Delete. More tedious way is Tools>Clear Recent History

Rightclick your C:\>Properties>Disk Cleanup.. that's good too for space

Quite honestly since you're still rocking XP, just a gig ramstick if your mobo can take one should work wonders, big boost in smooth

MAURO
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I disabled the restore points function. It only waste space and it never helped me. I have a small, 28GB of hard drive memory, and I once had 4GB of restore points i it.

An good way to save space and boost the computer is not downloading movies or other kind of videos (like youtube).

Bond: Your last chance! Give me the name!!

Lachaise: You still threat me, even without your weapon??

Bond: *BANG!*

Rey

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I knew there was a problem from the start. My computer just broke down yesterday. Sucks,all my stuff is there. Don't know at the moment what im going to do. Also looks like my levels wont come out for long time.
Its disappointing.

HackBond

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Aslong as your hard-drive is fine, all your stuff is safe.

Rey

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I believe the hard drive is the problem. Just don't know what is causing it exactly.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Computer SOS All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: