ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Would this be possible?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Carrington's Hacker Central
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kerr Avon

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:34 am    Post subject: Would this be possible? Reply with quote Back to top

One thing I'd *really* love to see added to Perfect Dark would be a sort of 'Garry's Mod' (the popular Half-Life 2 mod) style addon.

Picture it; When Perfect Dark is running in single player, on any level, you press [Left Shoulder Button] and the game pauses, and gives you following onscreen options

Roam
Clear all items
Return to Game
Return to Game (Insubstantial)

If you select Return to Game, then the menu exits, and the game continues.

If you select Return to Game (Insubstantial), then the menu exits, and the game continues, but you are invisible, and all bullets, NPCs, etc will pass through you, as though you aren't there.

If you select Clear all items, then all enemies (and friendly/neutral NPCs) and weapons and ammo in the level are deleted.

If you select Roam then you enter free-roam mode, which basically means you can walk/run anywhere, the same as you can in single player mode, with the same limitations, i.e. you can't fly, or walk through walls, except;

- All doors open for you, or maybe the doors disappear whilst you're in ROAM mode,

- You can walk through NPCs (Non-Player Characters) as though they are not there (and of course they currently do not move, as the game world is paused and so nothing apart from you moves),

- You don't pick up any weapons, keys, etc when you touch them in Roam mode.

When in Roam Mode, if you press [A] then a menu comes up, allowing you to select from all NPC types available in that level, and pressing A again will place that NPC directly in front of you, and looking directly at you (so that you can choose which was an NPC is looking, by where you are standing when you spawn them). There should also be an option on this menu to Cancel, so that you don't place an NPC there. Don't forget that the game is paused, so any NPC you spawn will not move or react at all, until you unpause the game, so you can take as long as you like placing the NPCs where you like./

Whilst in Roam mode, if you press [B] then a menu appears, allowing you to choose a weapon or ammunition pack, and pressing B again will place it on the ground in front of you.

Whilst in Roam mode, if you press [Z] then if there is an NPC/Weapon/ammunition pack directly in front of you.

Pressing [START] or [Left Shoulder Button] takes you to the main menu (the one with;

Roam
Clear all items
Return to Game
Return to Game (Insubstantial)

on it). I don't know if a mod like this would be possible, but it would be interesting both for setting up levels the way you want to play them (lots of enemies at the points you choose), but also for "what if" type experimentation (or just for fun) where you can set up humans and Skedar and watch them fight it out (that's why I mention an option 'Return to Game (Insubstantial)', as this would enable you to watch the fight you'd set up without you having to get involved in it).

Even if it were possible, it's maybe too much work for what we'd get out of it, but I think it's an interesting idea, and if I could program then I'd make it. I don't think it would be nearly as much fun for Goldeneye, as there's only really one side you could set up (Bond's enemies), unless it would be possible to set up characters who were allied to Bond?

What does anyone else think about it?

zoinkity

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Well those are all existing cheats: invisibility, no collisions, and toggling objects is a view mode that doesn't render (or do anything else with) objects. It's more obvious in GE since these are all off the debug menu, but the same options can be toggled in PD.

So, really, all you need is a handy menu to select them.

acceptable67

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

We can't even create our own in-game menu (which would be incredible if that was ever possible) much less create our own custom in-game cheats from scratch.

zoinkity

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The cheat flags already exist. Actually, the debug camera registers are mapped out as well, but you have to control the blasted thing manually (feeding it floats or writing a controller interface).

As for the menu, it would be somewhat simple to remap the bot control menu. Effectively the different rose menus are text and pointer combos and a new one could be slid in through simple redirection. By simply calling the functions responsible for the effects in place of the functions usually assigned to a given menu you'd be able to add this in without having to custom code much of anything in return.

Just saying, as far as crazy ideas go this one isn't completely impossible to implement. If anything easier to do in PD than GE.

Kerr Avon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

zoinkity wrote:
Well those are all existing cheats: invisibility, no collisions, and toggling objects is a view mode that doesn't render (or do anything else with) objects. It's more obvious in GE since these are all off the debug menu, but the same options can be toggled in PD.

So, really, all you need is a handy menu to select them.

Oh right, I didn't know that! Does that mean that you even genuinely spawn objects using these cheats?

acceptable67 wrote:
We can't even create our own in-game menu (which would be incredible if that was ever possible) much less create our own custom in-game cheats from scratch.

Wow, I didn't know it wasn't (currently) possible to make your own menu. You've all done some amazing things with GE and PD, from 'little' things like altering weapon properties to huge things like new levels and Goldeneye X, so I took it for granted that making a menu was easy. Shows how ignorant end uses can be of the creative process, I suppose.

This makes all you've achieved so far even more amazing - please don't think that we don't appreciate the work you few people put into GE/PD modding. We GE/PD fans might be few in number in these Clone of Duty obsessed days, but we are loyal and appreciative of your hard work.

zoinkity wrote:
The cheat flags already exist. Actually, the debug camera registers are mapped out as well, but you have to control the blasted thing manually (feeding it floats or writing a controller interface).

Does that mean that you could control the debug camera to make it move through the level in the way I meant? I take it that camera's viewpoint would be at Bond/Joanna's eye level? Not that that really matters, I suppose, but it would make it easier for the user to understand things.

Quote:

As for the menu, it would be somewhat simple to remap the bot control menu. Effectively the different rose menus are text and pointer combos and a new one could be slid in through simple redirection. By simply calling the functions responsible for the effects in place of the functions usually assigned to a given menu you'd be able to add this in without having to custom code much of anything in return.

Just saying, as far as crazy ideas go this one isn't completely impossible to implement. If anything easier to do in PD than GE.

I'm certainly glad it's (potentially) possible - I take it eveyone's too busy with Goldeneye X at the moment to even think about starting such an idea? Fair enough (I love Goldeneye X), but if you like this idea then please keep it in your mental maybe-one-day filing cabinet, as I'd *love* to see this mod exist for PD.

Thanks for all the answers, by the way.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Carrington's Hacker Central All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: