ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

LAG and GE Online (Why is it so accpeted?)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye 007
View previous topic :: View next topic  
notatroll
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:09 am    Post subject: LAG and GE Online (Why is it so accpeted?) Reply with quote Back to top

this is the only online game were i see lag is accepted with open arms.

people are so used to playing with super bad lag that they mistake a laggy game for a smooth game.

if you cant hold a 60 fps then you shouldn't be playing this game online.. it's 2013 and you can get 10mb download internet for 30 a month.

GoldenEye is a super fast game and Speed is the most important part about it.. so add lag to the gameplay and youre really not playing goldeneye anymore...

example of a laggy game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKLgEaxZTtE (speed is a non factor when you have lag like this)

example of a super laggy game
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOXx2pDaTrw (just impossible to aim when your frames skip)

example of how the game should be at all times
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RbnCoAR7EA (at worse you get a slight hipcup for a split second)

so if you want to play me make sure youre not a lagger Smile

SilverEye
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Heh nonatroll...
the lag in the videos isn't that bad, comm'n, It's still very playable.
But I can't judge about that, opinions are free Smile and if you're used to a fast-action match, this lag might be annoying for you.
for me, those videos didn't seem too laggy at all...
but I understand you point.

notatroll
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

cause your a person who is used to playing under these conditions.
lag is not allowed in the other games i play online.. if you lag no one will play with you.

and i like to make a correction, i meant hold a 60 VI, not fps.. holding a 60 fps is impossible.

TigglesWorth
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

You act like anybody can do anything about it. Don't you think that maybe if we could do something about the lag, we would? You're treating it like it's something we've chosen to accept, and as if it's up to US to abolish it, but it's really not our choice.

We live with the lag because we have to - we all live very far away from each other and can't play on the actual systems, so netplay is as good as it gets.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

If you want to play, you live with it. It's either play with lag or don't play at all.

zoinkity

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

A large part of it has to do with the state of emulation. GE requires more of the system be properly emulated in order to have any semblance of playing properly.

If you, say, use a graphics plugin that isn't rendering the sky, any of the texture detail, most of the fog features, any of the z buffer, and skip out on the frame buffer effects then there's no reason it shouldn't run at 50/60 VI (PAL vs NTSC).

Emulation of the N64 RCP, even HLE, is nearing exponential processor loss. Look through the emulator's documentation some time and look at how many note slowdown, poor framerates, unemulated features, errors, etc. Compound that with the same documentation for your graphics plugin. I might add nobody handle's GE's LOD features.

It's the state of N64 emulation that lag is accepted. You aren't just waiting for somebody's PC. You're waiting for the emulator as well.
Besides, there is lag and frameskip on console, when it drops from 30fps to ~20fps.

notatroll
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Cannonwe2 wrote:
You act like anybody can do anything about it. Don't you think that maybe if we could do something about the lag, we would? You're treating it like it's something we've chosen to accept, and as if it's up to US to abolish it, but it's really not our choice.

We live with the lag because we have to - we all live very far away from each other and can't play on the actual systems, so netplay is as good as it gets.

only people that should lag on the server are people from overseas.

if youre in the usa and cant play a decent game then your internet is trash.. PERIOD.

i played someone from mexico on that server who didn't lag.
if your internet is at-least 10mbs per second you will not lag unless youre on the other side of the world away from the server.

like i said, you can play your choppy games but i won't

mistamontiel

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Why complain.. for what purpose.. go code your own netplay on the double

Stay wired. Either ethernet cable or nothin. Monitor your net usage

Last edited by mistamontiel on Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

notatroll
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

i said 60 IV in a later post.. i know 60 fps is impossible.

stolen
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Notatroll, please don't troll.

Last edited by stolen on Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

TigglesWorth
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

notatroll wrote:
Cannonwe2 wrote:

only people that should lag on the server are people from overseas.

if youre in the usa and cant play a decent game then your internet is trash.. PERIOD.

i played someone from mexico on that server who didn't lag.
if your internet is at-least 10mbs per second you will not lag unless youre on the other side of the world away from the server.

like i said, you can play your choppy games but i won't

Something tells me - and nobody quote me on this - but something tells me that you have no clue in the world what the hell you're talking about, Joe. Just a hunch, but I'm feeling pretty good about this guess.

No matter what 'facts' you pull out of your ass, the fact remains that I've never once in my life seen an online Goldeneye match that was 100% lag-free, and I've been in matches where both people have had around 50 ping.

Now, I'll try to explain the problem to you in words that your simple mind can understand: the cause of lag is mismatched pings, for the most part. A 'ping' is the amount of milliseconds it takes for the information you're sending to reach the server and return to your computer. So, you tell your character to walk forward - if your ping is 50, it takes a fraction of a second for the package to reach the server, tell it what to tell you, and then return to your computer and cause your character to move forward. On the system, it's pretty well instant. That in mind, the problem is when you're playing with somebody who's ping isn't exactly identical to yours. You both press your commands at the same time, but you're a few fractions of a second off when it comes to pings; it is, afterall, difficult to have exactly perfectly-matching pings, and pings are constantly changing every second. Your commands are getting to the server and back just a LITTLE differently than your opponents, so the game has to slow down so that it can manage both commands at the same time. Can you understand that? You have have smooth matches, for sure, but there's always going to be lag. On a good day, the lag is still noticeable.

It's okay, though, because in the name of Goldeneye, we're going to stick around and play. The lag isn't TOO bad, we can live with it. And what's even better than that is that you DON'T have to live with it. If you want, you can never log into the Kaillera server ever again in your life, and never talk to us again. Because we live with the lag and are happy we can play in the first place.

Your negativity does nothing but bring people down.

notatroll
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

ping dont = lag.. man you know nothing.. speedrunner had 150 ping before and didn't lag.

ping is just how far you are from the server.

if your internet is good and youre far from the server, you will have high ping and still not lag.

if your internet is poor and youre near the server, you will have high ping and lag.

TigglesWorth
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

notatroll wrote:
ping dont = lag.. man you know nothing.. speedrunner had 150 ping before and didn't lag.

ping is just how far you are from the server.

if your internet is good and youre far from the server, you will have high ping and still not lag.

if your internet is poor and youre near the server, you will have high ping and lag.

You've just proven to me that you have no clue in the world what you're talking about. Again: 'ping' is the amount of milliseconds it takes for a packet to get to the server and then return to your computer. This is what causes lag. It's a basic **** concept, genius.

mistamontiel

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

You're the one that now resorts to insults. Who's to discuss ?

Ye misinterpret and I say kill thread.

TigglesWorth
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

mistamontiel wrote:
You're the one that now resorts to insults. Who's to discuss ?

Ye misinterpret and I say kill thread.

My apologies... him and I have a history. This thread should die. It shouldn't have existed in the first place.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye 007 All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: