ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Goldeneye Remake
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye 007
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SATURN_81
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

JD I love the way it looks and Dam level-silenced PP7 pistol, and will not do to replicate the exact behavior of a Goldeneye rom PC Engine how is it supposed to do this by porting rom behaviors or simply written and codified behaviors that simulate the GE engine?

by the way, you make this game for PC you include in the configuration options on the mod to play with a joystick? I would like to play a PC game with joystick as most can only be played with keyboard and mouse.

hope you have a video with a demo of the Dam level you are doing in order to make comparisons and see how your mod is like the original game.

good luck with this project JD.

J.D.
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks Saturn.

I'm creating most assets from scratch, using the original's as blueprints.

In terms of Gameplay, well. I will try to make exact, but of course I can't, but will be very similar. Also joystick will of course be avaliable (if not the main control style).

I'm studying and collecting data about the code behind Goldeneye. For example, the Stealth mode that a lot of players have no idea about. Wikipedia says more. That kind of research (and taking a huge look in GoldeneyeSetupEditor tools) will help me to reach the gameplay. The resst, I'll collect from Playing experience and try to reproduce using my code.

I'm really concened about AI at the moment. I think this can really make my game different, and I would need your opinion here: Maybe some improved system or would be better exactly the same?

I know is hard to say with no gaming experience to test, but I promise you that until the end of the month, you'll have a playable beta (even with no enemies, just to walk around and feel the game running).

This kind of question is very useful, like your suggestions. My first goal is to make Goldeneye, but if you guys think that could be some different implementation, let me know. Testing has no cost at all, lets make our own Goldeneye, this is the idea behind the project. A Fan Made Goldeneye. Your opinion is so important as my work.

Thanks again.

madmax386
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Awsome can not wait to try out the beta version.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
G14Classified
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Man, I really hope you can pull it off. Ive been waiting for someone to do this for a long time! best of luck !

SATURN_81
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

"I'm really concened about AI at the moment. I think this can really make my game different, and I would need your opinion here: Maybe some improved system or would be better exactly the same?"

JD forgives not exactly you mean by that?

not if you mean game engines or you mean artificial intelligence are going to use, however I do not understand hacking or game engines, ie I do not treat them or rather modified, just wanted to say that as a player at a glance I can distinguish the different games each Shooters often very different in engine and artificial intelligence, so that all I can do is comment on them.

indeed what the demo I liked it but I settled for a video, to compare and see how it works, and what the demo would be interesting that the level had enemies, but not placed esots enemy as goldeneye, ie place them randomly if you want and I say this only so that your project does not get discouraged early on.

again good luck JD

Jhirmer614
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I rarely post but this topic has definitely caught my eye, this will be a beauty when you are done. If you ever plan on stopping the production of this then i will have to find you and duct tape you to the computer chair to finish it :p

J.D.
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Guys, you certainly know about this more than me.

Well, my intention is to make a free game, I will have no profit at all with this.

There is some legal issue that I should know about? I'm using some Rare stuff just as blueprint, every single vertice the players are going to see are made with my hands. I heard Bond's games now belongs to Activision, so...
Any light about this, because I really want to show this project in others communitys, like IndieDB...

Where can I find more info about it?

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

So long as you're making everything yourself, I really can't see a problem. GE:Source has been around for years, which is a good indication. Rare usually seems pretty good that way. But since there have been so many other fingers in the GoldenEye pie over the years, it's hard to tell if anyone else might jump in. Just keep on doing what you're doing, J.D.

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

00action
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

wow this looks great, i think im gona keep checkin in on this one. nice work so far.
https://www.twitch.tv/00action

Kerr Avon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

J.D. wrote:
Guys, you certainly know about this more than me.

Well, my intention is to make a free game, I will have no profit at all with this.

There is some legal issue that I should know about? I'm using some Rare stuff just as blueprint, every single vertice the players are going to see are made with my hands. I heard Bond's games now belongs to Activision, so...
Any light about this, because I really want to show this project in others communitys, like IndieDB...

Where can I find more info about it?

Actually, the legal situation in your case is quite clear. You CAN'T make the PC remake, as you don't have the permission to do so from the copyright holders of the game. But as Wreck implies, this isn't a problem, as no one has gone after the makers of GE: Source, so they obviously don't care.

There have been a few times in the past when companies have sought out and stopped development of games/mods based on their (the company's) IP (Intellectual Property), such as when Fox banned the Quake mod which was based on the Alien/Aliens characters, or whoever owns Star Trek (I forget who) for a time stopped all unofficial Star Trek mods and games, and they might still do, I don't know.

But most companies don't stop mods or games based on their IPs, as long as the game/mod is free - it's when someone starts making money on the company's IP that they send in the lawyers. Otherwise, they either don't care, or actually see these unofficial works as a good thing, since it actually gives publicity to the company's IP. Look how many fan made character mods/skins are available for games like Quake 3 or the Unreal franchise, based on super heroes, or on characters from programs like Futurama, Xena, Star Wars, etc. These are all in clear breach of copyright, but the company's who own the IP don't care, as the people who make these mods don't earn a penny from them. Plus the company's might think "Well, if we go after the fans for using these mods, the that would be bad publicity for us, as it makes us look like we value money above our fan's enjoyment".

Basically, as long as what you do is made available for free, and doesn't present Bond in too bad a way (i.e. if you made Bond kill babies, or go around making racist comments, or setting fire to bibles, or anything else that MGM* felt reflected badly enough on the Bond IP that they had to take action) then you should be OK. I say 'should', as it's impossible to predict the future, and MGM could announce tomorrow that all unofficial Bond games/mods/fan fiction/etc are to stop, and that they'll pursue anyone who ignores this warning.

BTW, even if they did want to stop you, they'd only send you a cease and desist order (a letter saying "stop", basically). Copyright infringement where no money changes hands is a civil offense, not a criminal offense, so you wouldn't get arrested (or imprisoned or fined), they could only tell you (via their lawyers) to stop. And if you stop then they can't do anything further. If you did continue, then they could take you to court, where you might then be fined (probably would be, I'd say), but the first thing that would happen would be a cease & desist letter, which if you obeyed would be the end of the matter.

But bear in mind that there's Goldeneye: Source, the Doom Goldeneye, *lots* of fan made levels for games like Unreal Tournament/UT2004/Timesplitters 2/Quake 3/etc that are clear rip offs of Goldeneye's multiplayer levels, plus lots of James Bond fan fiction on the 'net, and none of them were ever told to stop creating Bond/Goldeneye related material and to remove what they'd already done, so MGM and Rare clearly have no objection to fan made tributes to their work.

Just to be on the safe side, though, make sure you properly credit MGM and Rare in the game and in any readme.txt type text files, so it's clear that you're not claiming the original as you own work - obviously you're not, but to make it super clear even for MGM's (or Rare's, since Rare own the copyright of the Goldeneye game) lawyers, say something like

"Goldeneye (the film) is copyright MGM, and Goldeneye (the game) is copyright Rare, and no breach of copyright or commercial gain is intended by this fan made remake of the game, which is simply intended to celebrate the original game on modern computer hardware."

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Looks like you're making some nice progress already, good luck with this project, it's going to be a ton of work.

As for the legal side of things, the safest thing to do is require a GoldenEye ROM to get the game data. Make this an engine which can read data extracted from a ROM the user provides and you should be fine.

Also, what are you coding this in? I'd hate to see an engine/remake like this tethered to Windows/Direct X.

Mantorok
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

It's not really his own engine, he's recreating the game in a modern engine (Unreal Engine 3 via the free UDK). And since he plans to recreate the assets, loading the ROM wouldn't make much sense.

If you're hoping for Linux support from a UDK game you're out of luck, but Mac users should be fine. Maybe he should consider switching to Unity, which supports Linux as of version 4.

PaRaDoX

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

This is relevant to my interests....
Keep up the good work and keep us updated J.D!
I can't wait to try the beta Very Happy

SilverEye
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

*bump*
Everyone was showing high interest in this one, so I'm a bit concerned about the fact that the project might be dead...
I mean there hasn't been any update for quite a long time and I haven't heard a thing from J.D either...So, J.D, if you're still around, let hear yourselve Smile
I would hate to see this topic die...

PaRaDoX

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Sadly with the recent URA Zelda Cancellation I have lost faith in all Fan made "remakes" .
Besides for GE:X of course.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye 007 All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: