ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

For A New Generation...
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> James Bond Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zoinkity

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Especially in a case like this one, with a thread dedicated to a review for a Bond title in the James Bond Games section.

I missed the thread the first time around but rather liked it. Honestly I thought the game had a great single player campaign. Multi was okay-ish, but I will give them credit for some neat features like that proximity destruct one. Solo was wonderful though. I do like how the 'kill before notice' dynamic allows you to go trigger happy stealthfully, and better yet it actually works the way you'd expect.

In a way it was much better that they just redid the story. Outside from being compared to the original movie and game, keeping the original story would mean keeping the Cold War vs. modern era struggle. Obviously after all this time we don't need to redefine Bond's pertinence in a modern world, Craig's character doesn't have any personal ties (that he admits to), and the old enemies are now allies.

mistamontiel

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wreck wrote:
A forgotten topic doesn't have to be a dead topic. Smile

That's what I'm saying. Why spawn a duplicate thread, happy posting MAURO

Back to the topic at hand..

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I sold my copy of GoldenEye Wii a while back. I really have no intentions on picking up the Reloaded version for PS3, either. Even though I did say it was good for what it was, it definitely wasn't good enough to keep me coming back for more. And by the sounds of things, 007 Legends won't be much different.

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

Ourumov
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wreck wrote:
I sold my copy of GoldenEye Wii a while back. I really have no intentions on picking up the Reloaded version for PS3, either. Even though I did say it was good for what it was, it definitely wasn't good enough to keep me coming back for more. And by the sounds of things, 007 Legends won't be much different.

I picked up the Reloaded version for PS3 a few days ago actually. It started out well and i kind of liked it in the beginning. But then i quickly got disappointed. The first thing i noticed was the gun. On the cover art Bond is holding a PPK/PP7, but in-game he is equipped with the P99 (Sadly, that is also the case in 007 Legends unless you own the pre-ordered copy). I understand this is some sort of licensing issue. But it is sad.

The second thing is the sluggish behavior of the gun. Sometimes you need to silently take out two guards by shooting one of them in the head and then very quickly aim to the other one and shoot him as well. Many times the other one manage to alert any nearby guards before he get hit because of the slow gun. This is, in my opinion, a flaw.

Then there is the overall gameplay. It was good until the Servernaya mission where the game transformed it self into some sort of war simulator. Unlimited number of enemies everywhere, snipers that seem to know your every move, and RPG's. Yes, RPG's. Inside the so called bunker, or what was left of it, it turned out to be a crossfire party with the world against bond. I cant see how people enjoy this type of gameplay. I died around ten times in various ways before i realized that this game was never intended for people like me. Its clearly intended for a younger audience who doesnt know better. For a new generation.

Unfortunately i bought the game as a digital copy on the PSN store, so i cant get a refund.

Edit*
Sorry for the bump. Starting a new thread seemed unnecessary.

Kerr Avon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I bought it for the 360, and only played through it once and not gone back to it, so I can't remember too many specifics about the game, but I know I was disappointed. Not hugely disappointed, as I wasn't expecting to like it much, since I knew it was basically Goldeneye (N64 game and film) in name only, and was really Call of Duty with a Bond storyline and characters.

Anyway, things I hated were;

- The weapons carrying limit. I hate this in any FPS, yes it's more realistic, but the game would be even more realistic if you died after one bullet to the head, couldn't move after one bullet to the torso, had to reach down to pick up weapons/bullets, couldn't run backwards, could only run for x amount of seconds before needing to rest, if you tried to move backwards too quickly you'd fall downstairs or trip over something, etc, but they (thankfully) don't put these 'features' in a game as they would make the game even less fun.

I can understand a weapon carrying limit in a 'realistic' game, such as Operation: Flashpoint, but not a Bond game.

-Recharging health. This removes much of the tension of the game, as you can take chances safe in the knowledge that when you get close to death you can just hide for a few seconds and emerge fully charged. If this was only in the lowest skill level then fair enough (maybe!), but not in normal or above.

- The constant onscreen prompts. This (like the weapon carrying limit and the recharging health) is something that is becoming more and more common in the dumbed down world of gaming. And it does nothing but remind me that it's a game.

- The game just didn't drag me in. I can't remember why, as it's been so long since I played it, but it might have been a combiantion of bad voice acting, levels that looked nothing like I expected from the film (fair enough, they don't have to look like the N64 game), and the lack of fun (subjective, I know, but that's how I felt).

- Lack of multi-player bots. Yet another fault that's becoming standard now - almost no FPS games this generation have bots to play against, but lots of people love (good) bots.

There were probably more things I didn't like about the game, specific problems that I forget now. Quick Time Events would be on that list (there were some, I seem to remember) but it's so long ago, and the game is so un-memorable. I don't dislike the game because it's inferior to Goldeneye on the N64 (everything apart from Perfect Dark is, if you ask me) - I was prepared to judge Goldeneye: Reloaded on it's own merits (I mean, I like Deus Ex: Invisible War, even though compared to the original Deus Ex it's ****ing awful), but Goldeneye: Reloaded failed in almost every way that I could see. I did like the rain effects though (I love rain in a game, as to me it's very atmospheric).

zoinkity

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Hmm... The Wii version didn't have a bunch of rpg-weilding guys in bunker(ish). There were a couple in jungle and the solar plant, and to be fair it didn't seem out of place. It's possible I never set them off though.

I might have just been stealthing more than other people. I found that going through it very conservatively is rewarded for once, such as shooting out the one-three guards that will be present with as little ammo as possible avoids setting off dozens of others. Near-silent speed runs are really cool actually.

Really, I'm obsessive about stealthiness. It drives my brother nuts watching me play Assassin's Creed.
Altair wrote:
monkmonkmonkmonkSHWING!monkingforwardwhileguardwalkstodeadguySHWINGINBACKmonkingwhilenextguardcheckshimSWING!

23 sequential guards dead like that (over a stupidly long time frame). Bro can't stand it.

The nightclub was aegh... The few quicktime events weren't bad though; they were done well, were very short (short enough you have to be accurate or they'll end before you can exploit them), and very infrequent. Broke up gameplay a bit.

The one difficulty setting removes the health recharges. You only have a single life bar then. It's much much more fun that way.

The weapon limit does suck though. I don't think they did it for realism's sake so much as to appease the False Gods of Balance and Strategy.

Lack of bots was a really bad idea, especially when MP seems so tacked-on.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> James Bond Games All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: