ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Mayflash USB adapter. Works but button mapping is bad.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Online And Emulation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I just put in an order for a Wii SNES RetroPort from RetroZone. I'm planning on downloading a few Super Nintendo games on the Virtual Console and figured that playing them with a real SNES controller would be more appropriate. I've read a few good reviews on the product, and watched a video on YouTube showing off the packaging, how to hook it up (cause you definitely need a tutorial for a controller adaptor), and it put to use. So, I decided to take a chance and buy the thing. By the sounds of it, there's no lag and the buttons are correctly assigned. Originally listing for $19.00, it has since been lowered down to $16.00. Add to that the $11.00 for shipping / handling, and you've got a total of $27.00. Not great, yet not horrible (considering the ~$40~ dollars I spent on an Adaptoid pre-order scam - I know I'm not alone, here). When I receive the Wii SNES RetroPort and have a chance to test it, I'll leave a post with my thoughts behind.

If I'm happy with the product and customer service, I might find myself adding the USB N64 RetroPort to my shopping cart...

By the way, has anyone else seen their fridge magnets? Razz
Super Mario Bros. Fridge Levels Set
The Legend of Zelda Fridge Levels Set

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Those Mario magnets are awesome.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I bought one from raphnet, it seemed to be a good product.
http://www.raphnet-tech.com/

Having got one, it plays great! Calibration was confusing, but once I got past that, it plays great! It supposedly supports rumble pack too. I haven't noticed any issues, feels just like real console controller, so highly recommended. Seems comparable to adaptoid I have somewhere. Not that expensive either.

mistamontiel

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Referring to the original post,

the dual Mayflash adapter is AMAZING. Probably an Adaptoid X2 right there. I've heard those things go for $100 so damn.

Used it on me last crap PC running XP and now on 7 64-bit. Just Calibrate to get the C Buttons

ALSO..I awoke to a flood one morning. Like..a quarter of the Mayflash adapter was submerged in water. It was probably even inside the ports !!

I started to clean up, and fired up some Killer Instinct Gold right away. Absolutely flawless

EDIT: What's this "Boom" adapter mentioned ? Don't tell me it's the HIDEOUS PS2+N64 combo crap one. It's advertised at goldeneyeonline..and I don't like it

BOOM I SPAM YOUR N64 CONTROLLER SO YOU'RE FORCED TO GO SONY BOOOOOOOOOM

GE MASTER
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I will defend the adapter with the ps2/n64 port. I have 4 of them. They aren't available anymore. However, with all the games played and testing, they are about as flawless as anyone would ever need for N64 emulation gaming. I spent about $10 each and the Android fans were willing to spend what. $40? Either they work or they don't. It's not like one makes your joystick more accurate than another one.

I'm curious about the Mayflash because I've heard mixed reviews about it. Perhaps I need to pick one up for a backup.

mistamontiel

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Ya, I regretfully tried that combo adapter before Mayflash's strictly N64 dual-adapter. Everyone I know with it reports perfect input

The combo adapter just mashed everything on my N64 controller (1st party obviously). I guess it is flawless for PS2 controllers, and so, that's my grudge with it

Same exact result with my other friend. We were both on XP and that combo adapter did not serve N64-wise

radorn

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

recently I've got the mayflash dual adapter, and I have to say I'm rather disappointed with the N64 to HID mapping.

worst thing is that they turned the 4 C buttons into 2 analog axis.
This is absolutelly stupid and prevents you from pressing R+L or U+D on the C's at the same time, because they cancel each other being on an axis (well, actually, one prevails over the other, but that's beyond the point).

Also converts D-Pad into a 8-direction POV, which may also be problematic.
the + D-pad is composed of 4 buttons internally, and emulator plugin map buttons too, but a POV is 8 directions. If you make a diagonal in the Dpad, the emulator would expect to receive the two components of that diagonal at the same time, but instead it will cereive a diagonal direction, which isn't even mapped for input. in a POV a diagonal is an independent direction, not composed of 2 cardinals.

For these reasons, I remove my endorsement of this product for any serious N64 fan expecting proper support. It may work well depending on the game and playing style of the player, but the mapping is highly deficient in my opinion, and for no good reason. They just did something stupid for the sake of it.

Buttons are buttons, just map them to buttons and stop being "creative", Mayflash.

As for Raphnet's adapters, I'm very interested in them. Have known about them for a long time, but never bought or built any. I'm sure they are far better than mayflash, but also more costly.

The adaptoid does something no other adapter does, as far as I know, which is raw controller data passing, which allows the adaptoid plugin, distributed with many emulators, to let games access controller, rumble and even transfer PAKs directly. Unfortunatelly not only the adapter costs a fortune nowadays, but also this functionality depends on a 32bit driver that won't run on modern 64bit operating systems. Under such a setup you only have HID access buttons and stick.

GE MASTER
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for the great write up on that. I may have to do some ordering and check a few of the very few alternative out there right now.

AstroBomber
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I just placed an order on this N64 USB adapter from mayflash.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006ZBHXEO/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Estimated arrival will be between the 25th to the 28th. Hopefully there is no problems with the HID mapping like Radorn pointed out. Hopefully it supports the rumble pak. I like the color and look of it plus I can hook up my PS2 controller to it for my PS2 Emulator. Reminds me of the old komodo N64/PS2 usb converter adapter I was recently using until it broke a month back. God I had that converter adapter since like 2009. I ordered it through the website link when I first discovered Goldeneyeforever.com and Goldeneyeonline.com and read the articles on both sites on how to setup mupen to play Goldeneye online.

HackBond

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I have this and have had no problems. Windows 7 installed the driver automatically, and I had to calibrate it for it to work properly. After that, it was fine.

AstroBomber
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Excellent. How do you calibrate the X, Y, and Z axis on the N64 analog stick correctly so that the blue bars go all the way? Do you know if the adapter supports rumble force feedback for the N64 or PS2 controllers?

mistamontiel

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

EDIT: Oh dang it. I didn't realize Mayflash had another adapter(s)

AstroBomber
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I just received my Mayflash SS, N64, PS2 USB adapter! This adapter works like a charm for the N64 controller. There is a feature where you can switch the X/Y axis and POV between using the D-Pad and analog stick just by holding start and a for three seconds. A really neat feature if you ask me. For some reason, (I'm guessing it was the mouse settings) in GEX when I would move and look up and down using the keyboard and mouse it felt like I was moving and looking up and down really fast. As if my controls were making me look and play frantically. Now everything is back to normal. Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Online And Emulation All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: