ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Please look at

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Mapping and Modelling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kerr Avon

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 5:03 am    Post subject: Please look at Reply with quote Back to top

I don't know if it's generally allowed in this forum for someone to make a post to draw attention to another post, but please will you let this one stand, as I'm not spamming or anything, I just want to draw the attention of any mappers here to the thread at;

http://www.shootersforever.com/forums_message_boards/viewtopic.php?t=6182&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

in case anyone who visits this (mapping) forum doesn't visit the Goldeneye X forum, but is looking for a map to port. I've listed some maps I'd like to see brought into Goldeneye X, or into Perfect Dark (but not Goldeneye, as it doesn't have bots, and nowadays it's extremely rare for me to get people together who want to play splitscreen multiplayer Crying or Very sad ).

The maps I mention are great, and would be brilliant if they were playable in Goldeneye X or Perfect Dark, so if anyone is looking for a new porting project then please go and look in that thread. Or you (or anyone else) might like to suggest other maps that would be good in GEX/PD.

By the way, how difficult would it be to alter GEX or PD from being a 32MB to a 64MB ROM? This would allow the game to contain many more maps, so none would have to be overwritten or deleted when new ones were added.

Thanks for reading.

zoinkity

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Extending a ROM is trivial. Add more zeroes. You'd have to recode PD to allow a longer stage list and exceed the image limit though, since this isn't based on size or space--that's a problem of structure.

The long-winded explanation:

N64 ROMs can be extended freely. The only real limit, which isn't a real limit except for the hardware being used currently, is no backup device supports ROMs over 512Mb (64MB). Actual limit is much higher (something like 252MB) and can be overcome via remapping memory cartridge-side.

Emulators can do unexpected things when you give them memory situations they don't expect.

Originally, the easiest backup devices to obtain only accepted up to 256Mb, and that's a large part of the reason we've only extended things to that point. This has changed recently, but larger is probably not supported.

The N64 doesn't care where you get info from. Case and point, if you have a V64Jr. plugged in, the original ROM is available at one address range and the uploaded one at the 'normal' range. As a sideshow trick you can code a ROM, much like a disk expansion, that boots the cart plugged in the back and only accesses the flashed ROM on-demand. That can also access anything else plugged in you know the address for, such as a GS, FLASHram or SRAM save, etc. Yes, Nintendo hijacked their own games this way to expand them.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Mapping and Modelling All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: