ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

That's Twice Now (Eric Serra)...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Non-Gaming Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:13 am    Post subject: That's Twice Now (Eric Serra)... Reply with quote Back to top

That I've been watching a movie on tv and heard a very similar musical style. First was "The Fifth Element", and most recently it was "The Professional". They clearly sounded like Eric Serra's GoldenEye score, it was undeniable. He seems to use many of the same instruments and tones in his music. So if you're a fan of the GE007 film soundtrack, you should definitely check out Eric Serra's other work.

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

HackBond

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I want to see the Fifth Element, mainly because of this wacky gif.

You know this is old when it mentions Kingdom Hearts 3 and Metal Gear 5

[Decoy] Antenna | Control | Silo | Escape

Kerr Avon

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wreck wrote:
That I've been watching a movie on tv and heard a very similar musical style. First was "The Fifth Element", and most recently it was "The Professional". They clearly sounded like Eric Serra's GoldenEye score, it was undeniable. He seems to use many of the same instruments and tones in his music. So if you're a fan of the GE007 film soundtrack, you should definitely check out Eric Serra's other work.

That's well spotted! I've not seen the Professional, I'll give it a watch, thanks.

Spyster wrote:
I want to see the Fifth Element, mainly because of this wacky gif.

You should watch it, it's a great film. Alright, so it's cheesey, but in this film it works, as it feels like a 1950's science fiction made in the modern day (and with a better story and characters than you'd usually get in a 1950s film).

Other science-fiction films that everyone should watch but often seem to have missed include;

The thirteenth Floor,
Frequently Asked Questions About Time Travel,
Next (Nicholas Cage),
Cloud Atlas (very little science fiction actually, but it's maybe the best film I've seen in *years*, so I'll definitely mention it here - if you decide to watch this magnificent film, then don't find out anything about it before you do, to avoid spoilers. Just know what I knew when I went in to it, it's about six different stories, set over six different time zones, and how the people (who might be reincarnations, or just look like their ancestors (the same few actors play most of the roles, such as Tom Hanks, Halle Berry, Jim Broadbent, Hugo Weaving, etc) it's left to the viewer to decide) deal with their problems and conflicts).
Inception,
Contact.
and a load more I forget at the moment.

And also watch the BBC TV version of The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy (and not the film version, which is 100000000000000% inferior). I have the DVD version of the TV series, and it has an (unlike most DVDs in my experience) interesting extra commentary, where onscreen you see interesting facts, and not the pointless information other DVDs get. I imagine the Blu-Ray (if there is one) has this too.

Basically, *definitely* watch Cloud Atlas, and the BBC version of Hitch-Hiker's, and then if you like watch The Fifth Element and the other films!

zoinkity

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Haven't seen The Professional in the longest time. It's clear evidence Natalie Portman never could deliver lines, or if you prefer to be nice about it that she's better about it than she was. (Sorry, bias against her.)

Inception is brilliant. Watch watch watch!

I do wonder how much of the similiarity is simply instrumentation. Certain styles are bad about it, and given a particular tempo it's easy to superimpose one line over another. For instance, Sousa marches all start to blend into each other, if only because the bassline is always the same. Boom-boom Boom-boom or boom-Boom boom-Boom.

Case and point would be the music to Evil Genius (PC game). Despite being completely unique, due to instrumentation your mind immediately jumps to certain other things it intentionally is trying to remind you of ;*)

Double that comment about the Hitchhikers DVD commentary.

Some exceptions to the bad commentary rule would be the Avatar/Korra commentaries, Invader Zim commentary, and most (but not all) of the Princess Tutu commentary.

Have to love the Zim ones. They joke constantly about all the things they did to get kicked off the air and how many people totally died in each scene.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The Fifth Element is a fantastic movie. Milla Jovovich as Leeloo is the absolute cutest thing I have ever seen in my life. Not just her looks, which are certainly pleasing, but her personality, too. The alien characters are also really well designed. If you haven't seen it, I definitely recommend giving it a watch.

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

mistamontiel

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Milla Jovovich eh.. I remember her as Katinka in Zoolander LOL

Multipass ? Multipass.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLdUptL0Nrg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Non-Gaming Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: