ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

GoldenEye 007 Demo Cartridge Found
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye 007
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NapalmNero
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:36 am    Post subject: GoldenEye 007 Demo Cartridge Found Reply with quote Back to top

While browsing ebay I came across this "GoldenEye Not For Resale" cartridge, I immediately thought of SubDrag's old video of the Walmart Kiosk footage but decided to look into it before I got ahead of myself.

While the game certainly is a demo of sorts, it turns out it was actually the retail version of the game or possibly the closest version to the retail version judging by what was said in the comments of this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j010dARF1d8 by aleckermit.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nintendo-64-N64-GoldenEye-007-Not-For-Resale-very-rare-game-/171051473010?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item27d3765872
Here is the cartridge in question

It's certainly cool to finally know that there are versions of this floating around out there, but if we were ever to come across the version from SubDrag's video it would more than likely be on a PCB Long Cart not a smaller retail cart.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yep, all true. It sure would be nice to get our hands on a "tester" cart... The Not For Resale is rare though, I still would like to get one one day, even if it is just a different label.

SATURN_81
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I'm not an expert on this subject, and I have some doubts. for example, what a cartridge or game with the inscription "Not released" means that it was used in a game show before its final release for promotion? cartridges in this type of information can be found then it is released in the final version of a game?. and Goldeneye for that cartridge? with the inscription "Not released" contains in things like beta model KF7-Soviet gun you see in the first videos on Goldeneye64?

NapalmNero
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Any version of the game that was shown off or demoed before the retail version was released was on a "Long Neck" Cartridge:

Rare had to develop the game on two separate systems and with the N64 in it's infancy they stuck with what they had in terms of development. A lot of people make the misconception that because the Turok 2 demo cartridge had beta elements in it all the other ones would too.

The big difference is that Acclaim didn't have the time to put out a retail version as a demo into the stores so they used what little of the beta game they could fit on a cartridge to send out to stores. Acclaim was infamous at cutting corners financially and it lead to their company's eventual collapse.

As for the GoldenEye cart, Rare was very smart about what beta information they put out and how much they let into the public's hands. The version that is in SubDrag's video is gone, at least as far as we know, without a trace. There is still information we don't know involving the games development like: Why is the scene in the 1995 Shoshinkai Space World Demo of Archives re-created on the back of the box in an obvious later version of development? How long did the game stay as a rail shooter and how many elements made it over into the free-roaming development stage right away? What was the exact reason for removing footstep sounds, the menu sound effects, and gun models / sounds.
Rare has done a good job at keeping things secret, they wouldn't let something like that out into the public without having a fail safe if it got into the hands of someone with a big mouth.

Rey

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I think the foot steps were just edited in the video.

zoinkity

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

@Saturn_81

"Not for Resale" carts are the ones used for the kiosks at stores. They've all been dumped, and most are identical to the release cartridges. That would include the known Goldeneye NFR.

There were a few NFRs that were different:
Donkey Kong 64
Excitebike 64
Jet Force Gemini
Legend of Zelda Majora's Mask
Pokemon Snap
Pokemon Stadium Snap Station
Turok 2 Seeds of Evil

Typically, if these find their way into ROM sets, you'll see them listed as "Kiosk". Pure beta versions, such as prototypes from the trade shows or magazine reviews, will be listed "beta".
The best possible bet for a GE beta release would be if one of the former NoA or NP employees still had a copy. Most likely this would be in ROM format, flashed to a drive. The chance of a pre-release GE coming out of Rare at this point would be slim, as it would be the hottest item to sell Borman.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Ack, I kind of want to get this sucker. It's only in Ottawa, too. But $182 Canadian for the same NTSC retail game, just with a Not For Resale label on it, and other minor text differences on front and back... Confused

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

MultiplayerX

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

My question is the only difference the label? If has no beta material that's playable I would say it's kind of valueless. A different label doesn't add value if it's an EXACT version of the final release. Would be cool for an archive though

MRKane

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

This'll probably be the part that'll make you cry, but I actually saw a "Not for Resale" years ago before I was enough into the N64 stuff to recognize what I was looking at. It was one that was given to the KMart chain in NZ for use in store, but given that NZ is the ass-end of the world (in computer releases) I've no doubt it was just a copy of the final game.

I'm pretty sure there'll be something hanging around out there - forgotten in a cupboard or similar; I do remember reading a cry story about someone who "brought" a beta off an unnamed Rare employee but didn't find any differences. Would still be interesting to look at the data of that.

NapalmNero
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The people who probably have them are NP, NoA, and possibly Interact if that strange labeled cart they have (or rather had) in that GameShark like a pro video. (Assuming that is a press version of the game)

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The InterAct cart was using the Japanese label, so I'd be surprised if it wasn't just the final NTSC-J version.

Nintendo Power's gone now, so who knows what happened to their prototypes. Doubtful anything will ever make it out of NoA, their stuff is literally under lock-and-key from what I've heard.

MRKane

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

It really is a shame that stuff like this remains locked away, although in the big scheme of companies the sheer effort required by them to look in a box for the content would be considered "below" them if you get what I'm coming from.

It'd be great to have the money to just throw at people until one of them fronted up with a cart wouldn't it Wink

mistamontiel

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

That eBayer, owner of that listing is surely a dipsh*ite.

He's just saying "HEY, only $170 for this different dull label."

So f*cking what

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Even if it may be the NTSC retail cart with different front and back stickers, it does have history. This thing was a playable demo at the store gaming kiosks, possibly even shortly before the public release of the game. It's also the oldest form of GoldenEye that is currently accessible. I understand some passing over it like it isn't important, but I also see why others might really like to have it as part of their collection.

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

Kevin
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

This cartridge just sold on ebay a few days ago, it never crossed my mind it could,ve been a demo till I saw this forum. What do you guys think?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GoldenEye-007-Nintendo-64-1997-/141076257779?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_sacat%3D0%26_from%3DR40%26_nkw%3D141076257779%26_rdc%3D1&nma=true&si=PDI%252FjhkbbRfv7WFBXO8SDb6WEA8%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye 007 All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: